Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Applying for FFL03 in Philly

I am trying to figure out who to put at the Chief Law Enforcement Officer in my FFL 03 application. Is it someone from the Sheriff's dept? (the website is down so I can't get any info as to who is in charge of that).

When I google "philadelphia chief law enforcement officer" I get the page for Charles Ramsey http://www.phillypolice.com/about/le...rles-h-ramsey/

Anyone have any experience with this and know who to put down and send my second copy to?

Default Re: Applying for FFL03 in Philly

ATF has a list (open-ended) of who counts as the CLEO for your jurisdiction. If you're just getting into the FFL world, it would pay you to look around, find what ATF says about that, and about other issues related to who qualifies to get an FFL, the type of business you need to be planning (or what a C&R is good for, in your case), any zoning or storage requirements, etc.

Looking in the right places for the answer will almost certainly expose you to the answers to questions that you didn't know existed.

Good luck to you.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    ATF has a list (open-ended) of who counts as the CLEO for your jurisdiction.
    Thanks for the guidance. I have been looking for this list since I saw your post half hour ago and can't find it (and I usually consider myself pretty proficient with Google). What I did find is from the NFA FAQ:

Q: What law enforcement officials’ certifications on an application to transfer or make an NFA weapon are acceptable to ATF?

As provided by regulations, certifications by the local chief of police, sheriff of the county, head of the State police, or State or local district attorney or prosecutor are acceptable. The regulations also provide that certifications of other officials are appropriate if found in a particular case to be acceptable to the Director. Examples of other officials who have been accepted in specific situations include State attorneys general and judges of State courts having authority to conduct jury trials in felony cases.
    I know I don't need a certification, and this has nothing to do with NFA, but if the ATF accepts chief of police for this maybe that will do for who to forward my FFL03 application to? No action is even required on their part; from what I understand it's just to notify some local authority that I am applying, correct?

3. Applicants must submit copy 2 of this form to the Chief Law Enforcement Officer (CLEO) in the locality in which the premises sought to be licensed are located. The CLEO is the Chief of Police, the Sheriff, or an equivalent officer, or the designee of such individual.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    3. Applicants must submit copy 2 of this form to the Chief Law Enforcement Officer (CLEO) in the locality in which the premises sought to be licensed are located. The CLEO is the Chief of Police, the Sheriff, or an equivalent officer, or the designee of such individual.
    Yea I saw that in the instructions but I guess I overanalyzed it and assumed those or's were exclusive rather than inclusive. As in it can be any of those and it's up to us to figure out which one we must notify in our particular jurisdiction. I guess I'll just send it to Charles Ramsey.

Thanks again.