Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Delaware County)

Default Choosing a spotting scope for a pistol box?

I am trying to setup my GunHo pistol box with a spotting scope. It has to be smaller than a full fledged rifle spotting scope so as to stay permanently mounted in the box lid.
    I see this compact Bushnell Sentry Spotting Scope Ultra Compact 12-36x 50mm Black model at : http://www.midwayusa.com/product/190...36x-50mm-black

I am only looking to use this thing at less than 50 yards. I have a Nikon spotting scope (20-60x 82mm) that I use for rifles distances.
    Will I be disappointed with this model?
    Any other recomendations?

Thanks guys.
    Smitty

(Pike County)

Default Re: Choosing a spotting scope for a pistol box?

Howdy,

I had a Gun-Ho set up with an old sovblock spotter that I used without any trouble for years. I've still got the thing somewhere. Depending on the backdrop and lighting, .22's at 50 yards would on occasion be a challenge, but never an issue.

The one you linked is kind of short and fat - I would go for long and skinny myself as the chubby ones occassionally interfere with getting the box closed. Also, an angled eyepiece can be more convenient - all clubs are not the same and sometimes you can't get a straight tube where you want it. Other than that, you shouldn't have any problem with resolution for Bullseye. Of course there are those that will tell you that you are sunk without premium optics, but in my experience it isn't true.

(Centre County)

I don't know about the scope you suggested, so I can't say anything bad about it. I originally had a cheap wal mart spotting scope on my box, but it was not easy to see shots at 50 yards. Then I sprang for Kowa 50mm scope and have had no issues with it. Scoring at 50 yards is easy.
    Here is a link to their current 50mm scope.
    Mine is a similar, but older model with the straight eyepiece. The angled eyepiece might be easier to use with less head movement when competing, but the straight eyepiece fits in the box better. The link says that Kowa has discontinued this model, and suggests a celestron equivalent. I have no experience with the celestron, so I can't comment on it either. The Kowa is expensive, but is truly a clear quality scope. With a good scope, 20 power is more than enough magnification to score at 50 meters/yards.

(Pike County)

This is quite true, but I think it is a little misleading. A cheaper scope with higher magnification may not be as clear, but will be easier to find .22 holes with at 50. For example, the el cheapo I used for years that I mentioned in my earlier post was actually better in marginal conditions than my NG 20x33, which had much much much better glass. The difference in clarity was startling, but didn't really matter all that much for spotting purposes. I think 20x is marginal if you are not buying absolutely premium glass. You can crank up an el-cheapo and it may be shaky and fuzzy, but you'll find the darn holes!

Quote Originally Posted by thomae View Post
    With a good scope, 20 power is more than enough magnification to score at 50 meters/yards.

(Delaware County)

Guys, I really appreciate the comments. I forgot about the idea that the shorter fatter scope might not fold down into the case. I liked it My quest is on.
    I don't want to spend a ton of money on it but I bought a Kmart scope a long time ago. You CAN actually see light coming through it if you squint hard enough. (sarcasm for "No, I won't go that route with Kmart again".)
    I like my Nikon but I think it's a bit much for 75 feet. The Oaks Gun show is next weekend and I bet a lot of more inexpensive short models should be there.
    Again, thanks for the advice.
    Smitty

(Centre County)

Rob W.
    For the record, I was not trying to deliberately mislead anyone.
    I use my 20x Kowa for bullseye and also for 10m air pistol practice.

You do make a good point about magnification and the quality of the glass.

Since I have never had a scope greater than 20 power, cheap or otherwise, on my pistol box, I see no reason to argue with your logic and will concede the point that a higher magnification scope would allow you to better spot the holes, especially at 50 yards.

How's that?

(Pike County)

No worries mate, we adults can disagree without being disagreeable ;->

Quote Originally Posted by thomae View Post
    Rob W.
    For the record, I was not trying to deliberately mislead anyone.
    I use my 20x Kowa for bullseye and also for 10m air pistol practice.

You do make a good point about magnification and the quality of the glass.

Since I have never had a scope greater than 20 power, cheap or otherwise, on my pistol box, I see no reason to argue with your logic and will concede the point that a higher magnification scope would allow you to better spot the holes, especially at 50 yards.

How's that?

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by RobW View Post
    No worries mate, we adults can disagree without being disagreeable ;->

Well, Rob W. You certainly take all the fun out if things.
    You have us behaving like reasonable gentlemen, whereas I was hoping we could yell and scream at each other like spoiled children while perhaps throwing in a few very personal insults as well.

By the way, to the OP: If you are ever in the State College area and wish to look through my scope, contact me and we'll set something up at 25 and 50 yards so you can see for yourself.
    Cheers