Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Dauphin County)

Default .22 revolver for wife????

I am looking into getting my wife a .22 SA/DA revolver as a way to introduce her to shooting. I figure revolvers are less complicated than semi's. I want to start with this "softer" shooting caliber so she enjoys it and hopefully takes an interest in it before moving to something heavier. Any suggestions or similar experiences and tips for helping me here??

Stupid Question??? DO 22 mag cylinders allow you to shoot 22LR the same way a 357 Mag allows to shoot .38 Special??

Thanks!!!

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: .22 revolver for wife????

Some revolvers come with two cylinders. One for .22lr one for .22 mag. It is not recommended to shoot .22lr out of a .22mag cylinder.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Lycoming County)

If you can go to a local gunshop and ask if they have a Ruger LCR in 22 caliber that you can take a look at. I recently picked up the LCR in 357mag and love it. It is very concealable and has an excellent trigger. I am going to pick up the 22 cal LCR for my wife next week when I get to the gunshop.

The LCR is simple and straight forward, no safety instead it uses a long steady trigger pull. They are available with crimson trace laser grips from the factory or you can get them as an aftermarket accessory. There is also a couple of real nice leather holsters available for them.

Some people will consider the price a downside to this revolver, it will run you about $380.00, another $180.00 with the laser. That is a small price to get my wife envolved in the shooting sport. Hell a pizza with the works cost $25.00 bucks and when you add the wings and fries plus the drinks you're up to fifty bucks. Oh and the revolver only weighs 13 ounces. That is a featherweight.

hope this helps
    Last edited by savvar; April 27th, 2012 at 12:27 PM.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by PAwhitetailbowhunter View Post
    I am looking into getting my wife a .22 SA/DA revolver as a way to introduce her to shooting. I figure revolvers are less complicated than semi's. I want to start with this "softer" shooting caliber so she enjoys it and hopefully takes an interest in it before moving to something heavier. Any suggestions or similar experiences and tips for helping me here??

Stupid Question??? DO 22 mag cylinders allow you to shoot 22LR the same way a 357 Mag allows to shoot .38 Special??

Thanks!!!
    The S&W model 17's are pretty nice. About the same weight and size as the L frame guns. A bit pricey for a .22 some feel, but well worth the $$$ in my opinion.

(Lycoming County)

Yeah, I always hear good stuff about the S&W K22's/ K17's, I also hear good stuff about the Ruger Single Six all the time.

And if your on a budget, you can always check out the line of Heritage Rough Rider single action pistols..

(Montgomery County)

The LCR 22 from Ruger has a significantly heavier trigger pull weight over the LCR 38 or 357. The reason is that quite a bit of energy is needed to ignite the rimfire .22 LR. Due to the light weight, crude sights, heavy trigger pull and small control surfaces I would not advise one to go such a route with a new shooter. Those small guns are very difficult to shoot well with, which can lead to frustration in a new shooter.

I am a revolver guy and I do not suggest a revolver in .22 LR for a beginner. Revolvers are not less complicated than autos, they are more. Here is an example:

Steps to unload an revolver:
    1. press cylinder release
    2. while holding the cylinder release manipulate cylinder out of frame
    3. rotate revolver so that the muzzle is pointed up
    4. forcibly strike the ejector rod to eject spent casings

Steps to unload an automatic:
    1. press magazine release to drop magazine
    2. cycle action after magazine has dropped free.

The above example is a crude way of showing that unloading a revolver requires more manipulation and twice as many steps as an autoloader. Furthermore, this does not cover reloading which adds quite a few more steps and complication for the revolver.

In short, revolvers are not "guns for women" or any of that nonsense. A .22 revolver like the fantastic Smith and Wesson 617 will also require more frequent cleaning that an automatic like the Ruger Mark III, I shoot both regularly.

However, if you are dead set on getting a revolver for a new shooter the Smith and Wesson 617 is the best .22 LR revolver you can get that is currently manufactured in the USA. They run about 700+ USD at your local pusher, and they are worth every penny. I have a 6 inch 617 that I bought a number of months ago and it is a fantastic machine. The 4 inch version is a bit lighter and less nose heavy, yet holds the same ten rounds in the K frame cylinder.

The trigger discipline necessary to shoot a revolver well in double action is quite serious. Many new shooters make the mistake of using their DA revolver as a single action thumb cocked device, forsaking the double action entirely. This can be problematic as it will cause many new shooters to form bad habits and teach them to pull the hammer back to fire. I have seen in my own limited experience a new shooter instructed to rapid fire (fire at the target as fast as possible) thumbing back the hammer for each shot on a double action revolver.

Many will complain and howl about how "expensive" the Smith 617 is, yet this is mostly nonsense. For a real shooter, the cost of the weapon is nowhere close to the cost of the ammunition. Personally, I would rather shoot that costly ammunition in the finest machine I can afford. A 617 costs about the same as about 20,000 rounds of lower cost .22 LR ammunition or four cases of 5000. I shoot a case of 5k about every two-three months, to put it in perspective.

There are some less expensive options out there like the Taurus. I understand that budgets are rarely flexible. However, compare the two side by side in a gun shop and see for yourself which is better and why.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Jefferson County)

S&W K-22 and it's successors, and the H&R 999, are the best .22RF SA/DA revolvers ever made.

Both of the above are starting to command some big dollars though. And the H&R isn't made anymore.

.22mag is not an extended version of the .22LR. The .22mag uses a tapered case that is larger in diameter and the bullet is seated within. The .22LR bullet is heel seated and is the same diameter as the case - which is straight walled.

You shouldn't shoot Long Rifles(or it's shorter siblings) in a .22mag chamber.
    Last edited by knight0334; April 27th, 2012 at 12:40 PM.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Luzerne County)

I saw a 17 last week in the shop. I should have grabbed it. I bet it is gone.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by savvar View Post
    If you can go to a local gunshop and ask if they have a Ruger LCR in 22 caliber that you can take a look at. I recently picked up the LCR in 357mag and love it. It is very concealable and has an excellent trigger. I am going to pick up the 22 cal LCR for my wife next week when I get to the gunshop.

The LCR is simple and straight forward, no safety instead it uses a long steady trigger pull. They are available with crimson trace laser grips from the factory or you can get them as an aftermarket accessory. There is also a couple of real nice leather holsters available for them.

Some people will consider the price a downside to this revolver, it will run you about $380.00, another $180.00 with the laser. That is a small price to get my wife envolved in the shooting sport. Hell a pizza with the works cost $25.00 bucks and when you add the wings and fries plus the drinks you're up to fifty bucks. Oh and the revolver only weighs 13 ounces. That is a featherweight.

hope this helps
    Trying to teach someone to shoot with a snubnosed revolver is about as productive as digging a hole in quicksand. Even though the LCR is a great gun, it isn't what you'd break a person in with.

Hitting a target with a snubby is difficult enough even for more seasoned shooters. You want the student to at least make some hits to gain his/her enthusiasm and confidence - otherwise they will lose interest. ...same reason why you don't start kids off with .410 shotguns.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    Trying to teach someone to shoot with a snubnosed revolver is about as productive as digging a hole in quicksand. Even though the LCR is a great gun, it isn't what you'd break a person in with.

Hitting a target with a snubby is difficult enough even for more seasoned shooters. You want the student to at least make some hits to gain his/her enthusiasm and confidence - otherwise they will lose interest. ...same reason why you don't start kids off with .410 shotguns.
    Simple solution... start her off close to the target, my wife could'nt hit targets at 25 meters when she first started shooting. I moved her up to 5 meters and moved her further away as she became more proficient. She has no problem hitting steel plates out to 35 meters now. She probably shoots better than me now. She just does'nt want to shoot a glock 23 all day or a 38 special. A 22 with a laser solves the caliber issue.

Whatever firearm PAwhitetail starts his wife out shooting the best instruction is patience and a small caliber firearm that will be easy on her wrist. IMHO
    Last edited by savvar; April 27th, 2012 at 01:28 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast