Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Not all Glocks Kaboom!

I was super lucky yesterday at the range. I was practicing moving and shooting so I wasn't completely focused on the gun operation. I had a squib round get stuck in the barrel. I thought it was just a failure to eject. I should have noticed the light recoil but I was more focused on the shooting. I instinctively racked the slide, chambered another round and shot. My gun locked halfway open, brass halfway ejected and I noticed my slide release spring was broken. I thought that was the problem. When I got home I replaced the slide release with a spare and the gun would not open to slidelock. I checked everything and it all looked good. I ripped the gun completely apart and still didn't notice the obvious problem. My barrel had a huge bulge about 3/4 of the way down. It has stress cracks all the way around. It's bulged so bad it won't fit through the slide and that's what locked up the gun. I recently started using a full progressive reloader and it looks like I need to be way more careful. I was loading without my powder checking die since it was out for repair and apparently I screwed up. After this incident I have even more respect for Glocks. Some guns would have blown apart with a stupid mistake like this. Here's a pic of the barrel.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

(Lackawanna County)

Default Re: Not all Glocks Kaboom!

A lesson learned, now take apart all your reloads that were done without the powder checking die in place.

Damn you were lucky.
    Government 99 and 44/100 % pure bullshit.

(Westmoreland County)

Wow were you lucky... it could have ended much worse for you. It's gonna cost you some good money for parts, but I would take that any day vs hand surgery. Glad you are ok.

(Lancaster County)

This is why Im nervous about switching to a progressive press, with a single stage I know every round is perfect, and ive never had a squib.

Quote Originally Posted by Gringo View Post
    This is why Im nervous about switching to a progressive press, with a single stage I know every round is perfect, and ive never had a squib.
    It's not the press that was the problem, it was the careless operator. I was used to my turret press and I think I was too trusting and overconfident with the new press. This humbled me and I will be way more cautious. Also pulling bullets on around 1k rounds and almost blowing my hand off or possibly loosing an eye will be lessons I won't forget.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by redeye202 View Post
    A lesson learned, now take apart all your reloads that were done without the powder checking die in place.

Damn you were lucky.
    I'm not a reloader, so maybe this is a naive question.

Could he just weigh the rounds with a small balance one by one to make sure they were the proper weight, without going to the trouble of pulling and reseating all the bullets?

Or is there a risk that the weight might be right, but the loading still improper in some way?
    I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.

(Monroe County)

Count your blessings! I had a Ruger Blackhawk grenade in my hands when I was a teenager. Someone elses handloads gone wrong. Glad only your gun got hurt. Now's your chance to buy a better gun (shameless anti-Glock statement)

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by twency View Post
    Could he just weigh the rounds with a small balance one by one to make sure they were the proper weight, without going to the trouble of pulling and reseating all the bullets?

Or is there a risk that the weight might be right, but the loading still improper in some way?
    That is a possibility. Lot of people use mixed head brass when reloading. And each will have a different weight. Also bullet weights aren't always exact either. So the weights will vary +/- a good amount.

I've had squibs already, 1 I caught right away. The other I didn't, but the next round wouldn't chamber and I eventually checked the barrel after trying to force the next round in unsuccessfully.

My last batch of rounds I suspect there is a squid in it because the powder measure was acting up (hornady quality ). I weighed a bunch of the rounds and just trashed the 20 rounds that weighed the least.

Shot 200 of the 500 rounds and haven't found that squib yet..
    The problem with shooting Chinese bullets is 15 minutes later you wanna shoot again.

I've loaded about 20k rounds total since I started reloading. This is the first squib. I shot about 1500 rounds that I loaded on my Hornady press and this is the first one. With my RCBS lockout die I don't think it will happen again. I should have just waited for it to get repaired before loading.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by twency View Post
    I'm not a reloader, so maybe this is a naive question.

I do.

Get an average shell weight empty with primer, add in the charge weight and bullet weight. Zero the scale for that weight and check each round. Heavy is ok, a little light is too. But really light .... gets pulled apart.

It does work.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast