Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: What is Easton really like?

Quote Originally Posted by Scrambles View Post
    I am considering moving there, but I hear people say its a bad area. Can anyone that lives there tell me what I wanna hear (that every town/city has a bad area but its fine)?
    Drive down the (river) road a piece to a little place called Rieglesville. Or to another place "Hellertown." Trust me, you'll like either one of 'em better.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by gascolator View Post
    Drive down the (river) road a piece to a little place called Rieglesville. Or to another place "Hellertown." Trust me, you'll like either one of 'em better.
    Reigelsville is ok but not for convenience. I owned a house just south of the locks at 212.

I also was down by you gascolator when Bucks was still rural. In Woods of Pebble Hill, Edison.
    Last edited by Exbiker; April 28th, 2012 at 08:40 PM.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ahearn View Post
    Don't worry about Easton it's no worse or better than living any where else. I have lived in the west ward for 33 years and run 2 business here in the west ward as well. As far as crime goes this are is a cakewalk,I grew up in Reading which is now as bad as Philly area. As some of the others said there are some great restaurants in the downtown area. If you move to the area look me up you might need my services. MY main business handles Pa state inspection and emissions / auto repairs and my second business is Easton Firearms Refinishing -handles refinishing firearms in cerakote and duracoat and firearms transfers for $20.00. I think you will like living in Easton area and you be able to obtain a carry permit or open carry in this state if you choose to do so. Brian / EFR
    Good luck with moving that's always a pain in the ass.
    OP, I hope you consider the advise of members who actually live in Easton.
    I have been here for 20 yrs, Like any other place you will find drugs, hookers, gangs, whatever you want you can find. However you can also have a nice peaceful quite life..

(Northampton County)

The south side cleaned up nicely since they tore down the projects. My Mom told me that there are already problems where they are building the new houses in place of the projects. I guess it is hard to get rid of cockraoches.
    I personally would stay out of the city limits. Palmer is OK if you like high taxes and nosy neighbors. Wait, that's everywhere.
    ““Liberty is the right to choose. Freedom is the result of the right choice.””

-Anonymous

Jeff

Well my gf was in Palmer today visiting family and she took a look around town and might have toured the apartments. If she likes it she'll be looking for a job nearby and we'll be planning a move. I'll find out tomorrow the verdict on Easton.

Wish me luck, cause I really wanna be able to carry lol.

Easton has become like south philly. I have a girlfriend who lives there. Shootings, rape. I actually saw a bloody naked woman get helped into a ambulance a few months back. One nice thing about easton, is that most of the populous is female. So finding a date is not hard. Sadly, many of the women have far less than moral sex lives because there are so many more women then men. I wouldn't recommend open carrying in Easton. The police are not the friendliest.

(Monroe County)

We road through there downtown around that traffic circle at the big Civil War monument. Noticed were two basic businesses being "Checks Cashed" and "Bail Bonds".

Like myriad other smaller sized post-industrial cities across the United States, about the best that can be expected is for it to move along in neutral and not slid backward into the rotting abyss.

Fact is, the actual purpose for these cities to exist in the first place is over . . . Even if the fairy tale of it ever "coming back" were to be true, industry requiring large populations of workers is long gone.

With all that said, on it's face, there are many worse cities than Easton, Pennsylvania.
    Last edited by Capt Quahog; April 29th, 2012 at 08:36 AM.
    "Make peaceful revolution impossible, violent revolution is inevitable." JFK

(Northampton County)

When my wife and I were looking for a house we were told to steer clear of Easton by several co-workers (among other areas). I'm not fond of the area but I'm not much a city type (the fact that I'm in NYC 60+ hrs a week probably has a lot to do with that...)

We choose Bangor and after 3 years we're very happy with our decision to move here. It's quiet, we get a long great with all of our neighbors (its a new development and so far all of the couples with the exception of one that have purchased a home here are around our age and firearm enthusiasts ) and it only takes me 10 minutes to get on I-80 in the morning and were only a 30 or so minute drive to most places.

Wherever you choose to live, at least you can legally carry a firearm and defend yourself incase you ever need to.

-Mike

(Bucks County)

I just moved here recently in the palmer township. Very nice area. I moved into the Woodmont place at Palmer apartments. Brand new apartments and great area. Everything you could think of is within a 20-30 minute drive. I am into mountain biking and there are some decent trails around the area. I usually travel a little to get to the nicer areas, but still enjoyable. There are also a couple local gunshops around. Heritage guild being the nicest of them. Very very nice and clean shop. Friendly staff, and reasonable prices. The range time is a little steap, but if you are a member, you shoot for free, and friends can come for half the price!

As far as the city of easton, I stay away from it. I only go into town for the local bike shop. Even 10-15 minutes outside the city seems like a nice place....so far. I still want to check out some local gun clubs and shooting ranges. Gets kind of boring always shooting indoors.
    Last edited by atm3535; April 29th, 2012 at 09:15 PM.

(Bucks County)

To me, there would be only one reason to live in a failed industrial city such as Easton, or Bethlehem; if I could buy a bunch of properties in the hopes that the city will "come back." My brave friends in New London, CT, did that a decade and a half ago, and it seems to be working out. But it's been a tough go.

Now, if you just want to live a quiet and peaceful life at the upper end of Bucks County and environs, there are plenty of alternatives if you want to rent.

The best of these are things like carriage houses and guest quarters on the various farms hereabouts. My first Bucks abode was a loft above a four-car garage in Pipersville. One bedroom--- but consider--- it was the whole of a four-car garage's floor-space. About $700 bucks a month. Safe? Yeah, well, deep on a horse-farm. Never locked the door. You won't feel the need to carry, but you can probably plink off the porch with your landlord.

If you want a bit of culture or a down-town, there are places like Sellersville and Doylestown, where you can live above shops, boutiques, and restaurants.

Somewhere in the middle are places like Quakertown. There, you can find both the in-town apartments and the farm carriage houses.

This can be really cheap living out here; you don't need to resort to Easton or Bethlehem.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast