Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hearing loss

(Chester County)

Default Hearing loss

I was thinking, when I go to the range I have some ear plugs in. Shooting without them hurts and obviously damages your ears. So, what do people do who shoot under normal circumstances? Like police or soldiers. I've seen some firefights and if those soldiers didn't have earplugs in its hard to imagine that they could still hear after that.
    Believe those who are seeking the truth; doubt those who find it.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Hearing loss

huuuhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
    Last edited by DaveM55; February 17th, 2008 at 06:26 PM.
    "Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)
    Speed is fine, Accuracy is final

(Indiana County)

Like police or soldiers. I've seen some firefights and if those soldiers didn't have earplugs in its hard to imagine that they could still hear after that.
    Over time, you run the risk of high-frequency hearing loss. It comes with the territory.

For the military, the permanent damage risk, however, is not necessarily from your own gun, but from the person to your left. You get blasted not only with the report from the muzzle, but also from the cartridge ejection port on the weapon's right side, which is to your left. Tell me about it.

(Northampton County)

Lost 70% in my right ear and 30% in the left while firing. I distinctly remember a tone getting higher and higher each time I pulled the trigger on the A2. Had a 60 going to the left of me which probably explains the left ear. Couldn't really hear for days and then the tinnitus started dominating. It's a horrible feeling.

Unfortunately, there are circumstances where you don't have time to get your ear plugs in and on the other hand, they make it hard to hear orders. No win situation there but when the bullets are whizzing by you need the best communication you can get.

After a few months of the constant ringing I submitted to the fact that it wasn't going to stop. It was definitely depressing.

I used to have to switch the TV to channel 165 at night to get some white noise going so I could sleep.

After some time you get used to it but it's always there.. nagging you. Kinda like a wife!

Anyway - I get paid monthly for it but it's not much and I'd gladly pay 10x that to get my hearing back and lose the tinnitus.

Hearing protection is soooo important. It becomes a big PITA when you can't hear later in life. Oh - and a decent hearing aid goes for 3k.

(Northampton County)

Statkowski is dead on .. we must have been typing at the same time.

Dzienkuje!

(Lebanon County)

This is largely why the old veterans have hearing aids. Imagine all the small arms fire, artillery, tanks, planes. Lots of noise.

(Allegheny County)

I also have tinnitis (sp) and have ringing in both ears right now. It never goes away.

It wasn't as bad when I got out of the service in 72 but has gotten progressively worse with time.

It affects conversations i have as any background noise coupled with the tinnitis makes it very difficult to hear people.

HUH? is my most often used word.

27whatdidyousayhand
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

(Northampton County)

Hey 27 ... I feel for you man.

It affects almost every aspect of your life. From meetings at work to simply checking out at the grocery store. It's a horrible affliction to have.

I don't know if you are married but man, it can get in the way there too. A spouse that does not have it can get frustrated with the constant "huh?" and I know I get annoyed that she can't seem to remember sometimes.

Really sucks and there is no cure other than to completely deafen the ear surgically (no thanks!).

Maybe one day they'll figure out how to fix it. It would be amazing to not hear that sound again.

yeah the ringing sucks . . . some days worse than others. Wasn't quite ready for the first time during a physical when she whispered, then asked me if I heard it and I said 'nope.' Then we were off to the room with the headphones.

Doesn't bother me to much for sleeping, maybe I'm just use to it

(Northampton County)

Tinnitus can drive you nuts. I wear plugs and muffs at the range and always have plugs with me when hunting. Some times I have time to use them before taking the shot.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast