Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First .45

(Chester County)

Cool First .45

Okay so I am in the market for my first .45 and I am stumped. I was dead set on the Glock 30 because well I love it. But then the pretty 1911's caught my eye, and while trying to research them, mostly on this site I found all threads from years ago.

I was thinking-

Glock 30
    Glock 36
    Colt Defender (heard about casing hitting face, don't know if that has been fixed)
    Springfield Loaded Ultra Compact

So if i could get your opinions, if any of you own these guns, pros-cons. or even some other 1911 concealable guns I would appreciate it.

I have only been looking online and have not been able to get to the store yet, so if anyone knows prices for the 1911's that would be great.
    And Sorry for the repeated threads, just wanted something up to date.

(I own a Glock 19 and a Bersa Thunder .380 CC)
    Thanks everyone

(Beaver County)

Default Re: First .45

1911's are addictive. From what I gather, you want a .45ACP for concealed carry. If it's just that simple, the Glock 30 is a good choice, because it's going to give you 10 rounds in a very concealable package. I owned one for some time, and I'd say pretty good for just about any level of concealment you desire.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by JesterPgh View Post
    1911's are addictive. From what I gather, you want a .45ACP for concealed carry. If it's just that simple, the Glock 30 is a good choice, because it's going to give you 10 rounds in a very concealable package. I owned one for some time, and I'd say pretty good for just about any level of concealment you desire.
    No argument here. A Glock is a Glock. Reliable, accurate, and did I say reliable? I am currently Glock-less, so I have no dog in the fight. My 45's are not compact. I own full-size Sig P220 and a RIA Tactical 1911 with OWB holsters for both. When I carry, concealment is not a prerequisite. I also carry two spare mags for that unlikely scenario I would need them, but ready for.

(Lancaster County)

If you want carry go glock, if you want fun at the range go 1911, but get a full size. I have no personal exp with the micro 1911's but have heard mixed review on them from a reliability standpoint. IMHO you cant beat a good Single action trigger for fun, and glocks have DAO which makes them safe but not as fun to shoot IMHO

(Chester County)

I love the responses so far. I am a glock fan and was seeing if I could get some persuasive opinions on why I should invest in a 1911. But I have just been having my initial choice reinforced! Maybe that's because you just can't beat a glock?

Thanks all!

(Westmoreland County)

I carried a 4 inch 1911 as my EDC for years, I eventually went Glock and have not looked back. I never had a reliability issue with my Kimber, but my Glocks are lighter and have greater capacity. The Glock 30 is fatter than a 1911, but it conceals well. I would suggest a G30 over most any 1911 or the G36. Great carry .45acp.

(Lancaster County)

My EDC is a Kahr CM9, I wanted the smallest 9 mm I could get that still shoots reasonably well.

(Luzerne County)

It all comes down to what you can shoot the best and fits your hand well. I had a glock 30 for a while. Shot it a few times. I eventually traded it off for something else.

I personally carry a Kimber ultra carry.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Lehigh County)

If you are going to get a glock I'd suggest a 30SF to help a little more with concealment.

(Chester County)

I'm most likely going to get the Glock 30, and I would like to add some night sights to it. I am hoping to make my purchase early next week so some photos will be posted, regardless what I end up with.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast