Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Henry Rifle

Question Henry Rifle

I am looking at one of the new, made in America Henry .22 rifles in lever action. From looking at the web I get quite a variation in reviews. About three-quarters say it is a wonderful gun, accurate, fun to shoot, reliable, etc., but the other quarter cite feeding problems and a few say the gun is trash. From guys who actually own one what is your experience? Thanks

(Bedford County)

Default Re: Henry Rifle

Quote Originally Posted by kevikens View Post
    I am looking at one of the new, made in America Henry .22 rifles in lever action. From looking at the web I get quite a variation in reviews. About three-quarters say it is a wonderful gun, accurate, fun to shoot, reliable, etc., but the other quarter cite feeding problems and a few say the gun is trash. From guys who actually own one what is your experience? Thanks

Accurate? Yes, one of the most accurate of my .22s.

Fun to shoot? Yes, one of the most fun!

Reliable? Hmm. When I first got it, it jammed during feeding all the time on certain brands. Bad jams that would require disassembly sometimes. These seemed to slowly resolve over time though. There were metal shavings inside when I took it apart, but didn't bother to check if it was lead shavings, part of the alloy that the receiver is made of, or steel. I didn't have any problems the last few times I shot it. It's not stored where I live, so I haven't shot it in the last 3 years or so.

It has really nice Walnut for the stock. The front sight is put on crooked (waaay crooked) and is too short to get the sights regulated to point-of-aim. I had to take the rear sight elevator out and replace it with a flat toothpick piece. I bet Henry would fix it if I asked though. I need to do that soon, come to think of it. I use a scope on it sometimes, so the sights aren't always an issue.

On the other hand, it has alot of features that I like better than the Marlin 39 series (which I also have). It's lighter, at least as accurate, has a smoother action, and is easier to put a scope on.

(Washington County)

Great rifles, never had mine jam up. Runs all brands and sizes without issue.

OK, maybe that is stretching it... Ive never found any 22RF to fire from it, or any CB caps, but 22LR and 22 short are fine.

One thing a lot of guys b**&h and moan about is that the barrel band is plastic. Its a lot nicer quality than the metal one you can get, keep it.

I've had mine for about 4 years & it's a great little gun. The only feeding problems I've had is with the CCI birdshot. Occasionally it'll break the plastic capsule holding the shot if I jack the lever too fast. I've had the same problem with my 10-22, so it's not just the Henry.

I think you'll like it.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

(Allegheny County)

Mine has been perfect. Zero, nada, zip of any kind or type of issues with any kinds of ammo used.

Mine is a Brooklyn, NY gun. They have since moved to NJ.

[rant warning]

When I got my Who-1 Henry, I thought "How cool - a gun made in anti-gun NY!" Then I got to thinking - what the hell was I thinking buying stuff made in an anti-2A state!!? Feeding that state's coffers??

And when they moved the factory - why to effing NJ - another state that oppresses their people? Why not to 2A-friendly PA?

For that reason alone I will never EVER buy anything else that Henry makes regardless of how cool their Mare's Leg is.

YMMV.

[rant off]
    All of my guns are lubed with BACON GREASE.

Quote Originally Posted by nfafan View Post
    And when they moved the factory - why to effing NJ - another state that oppresses their people? Why not to 2A-friendly PA?
    Maybe because it would have screwed their employees to move 80 miles away instead of directly across the river.

I'm curious - are you boycotting Smith & Wesson as well?

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by renalp View Post
    Maybe because it would have screwed their employees to move 80 miles away instead of directly across the river.

I'm curious - are you boycotting Smith & Wesson as well?
    I now do try to make a concious effort to take note of where my new guns originate. Used guns, meh.

Think for a minute - Colt employees can't buy their own products? ATI workers - can't own their own GSG5s or MP44/22s or their other stuff they import?

It's freakin' ironic that so many gun mfgs exist in non-2A states - and so prop-up the economic base of these contentious govts and their oppresive laws - when there are plenty of 2A-friendly states that would be happy to have them and their jobs.

All it would take is a large mfg of status - a S&W or a Colt - to pout and stomp their feet and demand that unless the laws are changed to restore the full 2A to their workorce - they're outta there. State govts would get that message if they want to keep elected to their cushy neo-royalty positions.

But... Since most corps are multi-natl affairs that pay plenty of attention to PC-posturing - its unlikely to happen.

Colt and Smith will sell guns whether or not a 2A exists for the rest of us.

And as for pissing off the 80-employees of Henry - well that's unique to Henry Corp ownership, as most -- maybe NOT ALL -- employers could give a rats-ass as to their employees feelings.

But I digress, maybe a sweet Brooklyn-built Henry will mean something to someone for re-sale; who knew guns were once made in Brooklyn.

NY was afterall - part of Free America at least back in the 1800's.
    All of my guns are lubed with BACON GREASE.

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by nfafan View Post
    Mine has been perfect. Zero, nada, zip of any kind or type of issues with any kinds of ammo used.

Mine is a Brooklyn, NY gun. They have since moved to NJ.

[rant warning]

When I got my Who-1 Henry, I thought "How cool - a gun made in anti-gun NY!" Then I got to thinking - what the hell was I thinking buying stuff made in an anti-2A state!!? Feeding that state's coffers??

For that reason alone I will never EVER buy anything else that Henry makes regardless of how cool their Mare's Leg is.

YMMV.

[rant off]

as a side note.
    i can attest, that quality of product has decreased since the move.
    i have a big boy from ny, and just got another big boy from nj. the new york gun is of better quality in several areas.
    it's only metal, we can out think it....

I passed on a NIB golden boy a couple weeks ago at a gun show.
    I should have grabbed it..think it was $365.

Been wanting a Henry for a while now.
    FUCK BIDEN

I mine got mine for free. I won it in a gun raffle. It is fun and accurate.
    I always stressed to my son"one shot one kill that was all that is needed". When He came home from Marine Corp Boot camp He was telling me about the Marines stressing "ONE SHOT ONE KILL" He looks at me and the light bulb went on Dad was now a whole lot smarter than he was 13 weeks ago.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast