Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (York County)

Default A lesson learned

Well yesterday , saturday , at my house we had a wierd situation.... actually a situation that frightened the hell out of my wife. I was sitting on the couch holding one of my boys and my wife walks into the living room from the kitchen and I see her face go white as a ghost as she screams " OMG there's someone on the porch looking in the window!!" I jumped up and looked but didnt see anyone , so I went to a diffrerent window and saw a man climbing back up onto my porch .... Now I was at cocalico shooting saturday morning so all of my guns were sitting nearby waiting to get cleaned. So I grabbed my 40 and had it in my back waistband. He opens my front storm door and sees me staring at him thru my inside door and I screem to him " Go Away". Well turns out he was severely drunk and I dont know what he wanted. I wanted to post this cuzz my wife thought that I was always overboard /paranoid about our home/self defense. Now even though it was a rather dumb incident it scared the living hell out of my wife. So I told her "see ANYTHING can happen ANYTIME no matter where we are. Imagine how you would feel if someone kicked the door in , stormed into the house and was trying to harm us." Now she is all for all the steps I have taken. I am going to look into a class for us to take as a couple. LOL especially since she was screaming "get a bullet in that gun" "is it ready"?... Then I told her we cant shoot a drunk a-hole on our porch. She did call the cops cuzz he was looking into mine and my neighbors windows and he eventually drove away drunk and almost hit a telelphone pole leaving....,. Everyone calmed back down as we were watching TV and about 40 minutes later a LEO showed up.... he said "sorry we are so late , we were doing our shift change , is he gone now?" Geeez now she also understands when I tell her we are responsible for protecting ourselves. The police will get here in time to draw chalk lines around our bodies. They have no legal obligation to protect us.

(Franklin County)

Default Re: A lesson learned

THANKS FOR SHARING THAT!!!!!!!!
    In God We Trust............................

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by 40twist View Post
    Well yesterday , saturday , at my house we had a wierd situation.... actually a situation that frightened the hell out of my wife. I was sitting on the couch holding one of my boys and my wife walks into the living room from the kitchen and I see her face go white as a ghost as she screams " OMG there's someone on the porch looking in the window!!" I jumped up and looked but didnt see anyone , so I went to a diffrerent window and saw a man climbing back up onto my porch .... Now I was at cocalico shooting saturday morning so all of my guns were sitting nearby waiting to get cleaned. So I grabbed my 40 and had it in my back waistband. He opens my front storm door and sees me staring at him thru my inside door and I screem to him " Go Away". Well turns out he was severely drunk and I dont know what he wanted. I wanted to post this cuzz my wife thought that I was always overboard /paranoid about our home/self defense. Now even though it was a rather dumb incident it scared the living hell out of my wife. So I told her "see ANYTHING can happen ANYTIME no matter where we are. Imagine how you would feel if someone kicked the door in , stormed into the house and was trying to harm us." Now she is all for all the steps I have taken. I am going to look into a class for us to take as a couple. LOL especially since she was screaming "get a bullet in that gun" "is it ready"?... Then I told her we cant shoot a drunk a-hole on our porch. She did call the cops cuzz he was looking into mine and my neighbors windows and he eventually drove away drunk and almost hit a telelphone pole leaving....,. Everyone calmed back down as we were watching TV and about 40 minutes later a LEO showed up.... he said "sorry we are so late , we were doing our shift change , is he gone now?" Geeez now she also understands when I tell her we are responsible for protecting ourselves. The police will get here in time to draw chalk lines around our bodies. They have no legal obligation to protect us.
    Glad to hear you and your family are ok. It is better to learn this lesson with just a "scare" than having it be a more violent situation. Remeber drunken idiots can cause alot of damage. Good thing you were ready for the situation by being armed and mentaly prepared. Its good to hear your looking into a "cuples" class.
    -A
    No matter who you vote for the government always gets in.

(Delaware County)

Yep. When seconds count, the police are just minutes away.

Glad everything worked out for you. Lessons learned in such a situation tend to never be forgotten.

(Indiana County)

/snip/ about 40 minutes later a LEO showed up.... he said "sorry we are so late , we were doing our shift change , is he gone now?" Geeez now she also understands when I tell her we are responsible for protecting ourselves. The police will get here in time to draw chalk lines around our bodies. They have no legal obligation to protect us.

Absolutely nailed it. I like and respect LEO's (did some of it myself earlier in life) but they cannot be everywhere at once, and the SCOTUS tells us that police owe us nothing as individual citizens (in most cases). I simply don't expect police protection, nor do I expect them to come if called. If they do, that's great-- it's an extra, but we're not legally entitled to private protection by police.

Glad you and your family are safe.
    Last edited by angus; February 17th, 2008 at 10:14 AM. Reason: edite to add: glad you and your family are safe

(Allegheny County)

That was a scary story, glad everyone is OK.

When you least expect...expect it.
    "Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)
    Speed is fine, Accuracy is final

(Venango County)

In case you missed it, you might want to see a thread I started on the trial we just had in my neck of the woods. Circumstances somewhat similar...

http://www.pafoa.org/forum/general-2...go-county.html

Be safe.

(Philadelphia County)

Good job, 40.........Always prepared is the only way to be. Glad all are well.

Marry you, and ruin it all ? I say let's play in sin. ~Michele
    Do ya like warm oil massages ?~Me
    As long as it's gun oil.~Michele

Way to keep a cool head! Good job!
    Get your wife into a class. A couples class sounds great!
    If theres a firearm in the house, everyone who lives there should know how to use it and when.
    Family security is not only the mans job, its the womans job too.
    Women should also be informed enough to take care of the family.
    Its not a macho thing, just good common sense in the world the way it is today.

In my house its me and my 19 yr old son. We have run drills in the house simulating a few different situations. We would both have to know where each one is at all times since we would both be armed. Allot of families run "fire drills" in their homes with their families, which is essential if there is ever a fire. The most important thing is survival, and everyone gets out safely. Why not do a drill with a firearm? Its just as important.

(Northampton County)

LOL especially since she was screaming "get a bullet in that gun" "is it ready"?... Then I told her we cant shoot a drunk a-hole on our porch.
    ROFL

Glad things have settled down.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast