Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default AR pistol buffer tube assec. thread (and transfer question)

I'm looking into making a pistol AR and I want to know where guys are getting some of these buffer tube parts.

1. the foam on the tube.

2. those rubber end caps, like off the bottom of a cane or a walker.

3. those cheek rests.

From what I have heard from people, these things are all legal according to the ATF because they aren't buttstocks, even though they do beef up and thicken the tube and even can be butted against ones shoulder if you so choose to. What I plan on doing is making a pistol then eventually SBR'ing it. I've seen some pics of guys with all of this stuff on their guns and it doesnt look to bad. Definitely worth putting up with for the six months I'll be waiting for my stamp to get approved. Plus...being a pistol would make it coverable under our LTCF. I can have it loaded in a vehicle. I can carry it loaded, etc.

Also, a side question. What IS the law on buying a virgin lower? Do you have to do the whole pistol transfer form? I heard a long time ago the PSP said you did. But I bought lowers from ECGS going out out of business sale and they claimed you only have to do that if you want. Its optional, and I bought my lower as a long gun. So...is that legal? Did someone fudge up? I just bought a new virgin composite lower this morning from a new gun dealer that just opened up and he said it had to be transferred by a pistol sale form. So,...we did.
    Last edited by Franky4Fingers; April 24th, 2012 at 01:38 PM.
    [account deactivated]

(Lackawanna County)

Default Re: AR pistol buffer tube assec. thread (and transfer question)

I bought a pistol buffer setup from PWS which is known as a top of the food chain company. It comes with a nice padding on the tube and a sling QD built in.

As for the lower, lowers are sold as "receivers" not long gun or pistol. So on your transfer paper it should be listed as "other". If your FFL put it in as pistol your still ok though.

Ok, thanks for the buffer tube info

As for the receiver, that makes sense of this mornings transaction...which corresponds to what I heard before....but what about my ECGS stripped lower receiver transaction? Was the guy who sold me my receiver, whom of which was also a police chief for one of the local boroughs...incorrect, and breaking the law by not doing the PSP transfer form? Or did I misunderstand what you just said?

I can't imagine they would have gotten away with that because they were being investigated by the ATF.

Seems as if more explanations are in order.
    [account deactivated]

Ok, I'm giving this a bump before it gets pushed into the abyss.

Does anyone know where you can get those rubber cane ends? What about a medical supply store? IS that what these things are? Because thats what they look like.

Also, what about foam alternatives besides ones that come with the tube kits? can you buy that stuff separate too? Or is this one of those imagination experimentation exercises and I have to figure out what fits? lol
    [account deactivated]

OK...as usual with things, I search and search, and don't find anything. And as soon as I ask a question, I end up stumbling upon the answer myself. Oh well, its here for others to learn.

Their proper name is "cane tips"

It makes ya wonder where the line is drawn though. As in, would something like this be legal, I wonder?
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Super-Walkin...item56468ec987
    [account deactivated]