Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Clarion County)

Default How long does a Glock last ?

How many G-1 are still around ? The main reason I ask this because those little slide rails on the body just don't look all that tuff ? I've been a machinist in my many endevores and it just doesn't look as tuff as it is ?

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: How long does a Glock last ?

Quote Originally Posted by dman View Post
    How many G-1 are still around ? The main reason I ask this because those little slide rails on the body just don't look all that tuff ? I've been a machinist in my many endevores and it just doesn't look as tuff as it is ?
    They are very tough and there are plenty of early Glocks still in use. I have an early Gen II 1989 and never had a problem.

You'll go broke buying ammo before you wear out a lot of firearms on the market today and surpass the prices of the gun many times over. If you manage to shoot the gun enough that a rail breaks out of the frame on your Glock, send it back and Glock will replace it.

It's the one area that usually never is a problem. The stuff they make a Glock out of is indeed, tough, even the little pieces.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Centre County)

I can tell you they only last 5 minitues in the microwave

Kyle Defoor ran a Glock 17 up to 205,000 rounds before replacing it. In that time he replaced 2 recoil springs and 8 trigger return springs.

Quote Originally Posted by fletchfletch View Post
    I can tell you they only last 5 minitues in the microwave
    You didn't!!!!????

Well, I do know the frame cleans up quite nicely in the dishwasher! A few drops of oil on the springs & pins & they're GTG.

Note: If your wife has no sense of humor; load, run & empty the dishwasher while she's not home. (Don't ask me how I know this.)
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by IronButt View Post
    You didn't!!!!????

Well, I do know the frame cleans up quite nicely in the dishwasher! A few drops of oil on the springs & pins & they're GTG.

Note: If your wife has no sense of humor; load, run & empty the dishwasher while she's not home. (Don't ask me how I know this.)
    I really wanna know if he actually did it!
    To the op I dont hear much about gen1 anymore, I hear from a lot of glock guys they still have their gen2 but I couldnt confirm or deny the reliability of the gen1 even though they were the first I still beleive they would be up to par with the rest. Probably some replaced parts in them but Im sure their are plenty of gen1's around.

(Cumberland County)

Cool Re: How long does a Glock last ?

i have a first gen with over 20,000 rounds thru it. i got tired of keeping track so i don,t bother anymore. the only things done to it was a recall back in the early 90,s if i remember correctly and a new rear adjustable sight. the finish has some wear on the edges but nothing significant. it still works and shoots like a champ. btw i still use the original mags as well. you can tell a difference in the spring tension when you load them(lighter) but they still are reliable. fwiw it is a g17.

If you don't torture test it and just shoot it like a normal gun the Glock in 9mm, 40 and 45acp will last nearly forever. You will be able to hand them to your Grand kids. IMHO I have about 3k-5k rounds through mines and they look and function brand new. These rounds were mostly shot fast and quick loaded and continued with no problem unless ammo was weak.

Glock has a well deserved reputation of being reliable and nearly indestructable.

My G19 is a Gen 1 and still looks new and running like new.
    Last edited by Neko456; April 24th, 2012 at 09:16 AM.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast