Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Re: How long does a Glock last ?

Quote Originally Posted by JustinM View Post
    Longer than you, or I will.
    and THIS THREAD, gentlemen, is why I will purchase a Glock in mid June. I'm going with the 19 and wondering why anyone would purchase anything else? My only dilemma is gen 3 or 4? I think I settled on a gen 3 because as I understand it, the only real 'improvement' is they offer 3 mags instead of two? Anything else? Please tell me why I should get a gen 4?
    Last edited by soccerdad; April 25th, 2012 at 01:00 AM. Reason: punctuation

(Cumberland County)

Wink Re: How long does a Glock last ?

soccerdad, imo the only improvements that matter is the third mag.(which you pay for) and the larger mag. release. a side benefit is the mag. release is reversible for lefty shooters such as myself. i have to admit i would not reverse it anyhow since i am set in how i work the glocks while shooting. no sense in relearning. if it ain,t broke don,t fix it. buy the 3rd gen. red dog

(Allegheny County)

There are a few reports of guys having them re barreled at 100k rounds and driving on without concern.
    Jeff Cooper was a huge supporter of gun games, when he was winning them at least...

(Philadelphia County)

At this point, my Glock will outlast me, even if I start putting thousands of rounds down the barrel. Glocks aren't pretty, but they're functional, reliable, and durable.

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by soccerdad View Post
    and THIS THREAD, gentlemen, is why I will purchase a Glock in mid June. I'm going with the 19 and wondering why anyone would purchase anything else? My only dilemma is gen 3 or 4? I think I settled on a gen 3 because as I understand it, the only real 'improvement' is they offer 3 mags instead of two? Anything else? Please tell me why I should get a gen 4?
    The mentioned reversible magazine release and they use a different texture for the frame than the standard Gen3 has, as well as the sizeable backstraps.

(Blair County)

Quote Originally Posted by BDK View Post
    The mentioned reversible magazine release and they use a different texture for the frame than the standard Gen3 has, as well as the sizeable backstraps.
    The new recoil spring assembly also reduces recoil while extending the spring life considerably. Given the new Gen3s have the same extractors as the Gen4s now, any issues with ejection will be experienced in both, so there's really no reason not to go with the Gen4.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by medsteele View Post
    The new recoil spring assembly also reduces recoil while extending the spring life considerably. Given the new Gen3s have the same extractors as the Gen4s now, any issues with ejection will be experienced in both, so there's really no reason not to go with the Gen4.
    The new recoil assembly, at least in the G17, seems to increase felt recoil.
    Jeff Cooper was a huge supporter of gun games, when he was winning them at least...

(Allegheny County)

"The new recoil assembly, at least in the G17, seems to increase felt recoil."

Can't comment on the G17, but in the G19 I did not find this to be the case. Owned two Gen 4 19s and compared them to my Gen 3 19s using 9mm NATO ammo.

But then, "felt recoil" is a very subjective thing, every shooter has his/her opinion of what is heavy or light recoil when shooting different guns.
    Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

(Allegheny County)

Another decent shooter noted the same thing, but the increase, if any, is still that of a 9mm.

The most insane tourtue test I've seen was a G18 (machine pistol) it fired 3 33rd clips and then a 150 round drum before getting so hot that it locked up. They hit it with a rubber mallet to unlock it and continued firing. Why would you do a gun like that? A slower rate of fire it wouldn't have even been a test less then 300 rounds is a skip in the park for a Glock, I've done that many times.

Rate of fire means something.
    Last edited by Neko456; April 26th, 2012 at 08:50 AM.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast