Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    (Chester County)

Default Re: Carrying in Gettysburg

For those visiting a National Cemetery -- they are under the Dept of Veteran Affairs and, as such, possession of weapons except for official purposes is prohibited. (ref 38 CFR 1.218(a)(13))

http://forum.pafoa.org/concealed-ope...ml#post1141633
    IANAL

I'm from Texas visiting family. Have an out of state PA LTC the past 5 years, but prior to that carried reciprocally on my Texas CHL/LTC for many years. I mention this because my first comment is in one of our popular Texas CHL/LTC forums, it's always fun to re-constitute a several year old thread with new information...

Visited Gettysburg yesterday, and decided against carrying (left it at my family's home in the Wilkes-Barre Area) for a few reasons. Was traveling with extended family members who don't know I carry and I didn't want to have to deal arm/disarm process in front of them. Also, it does seem exceptionally difficult to figure out where you can/can't carry in the Gettysburg military parks area. My observations:

First, I'd like to acknolwedge a prior poster for pointing out that the Cemetery is owned/operated by the Dept of VA Affairs. I actually hadn't even considered that. I knew about the National Parks building carry prohibition, but hadn't even thought about the VA having a presence in the area.

Second, my understanding of PA law is 'no guns' signs don't have the force of law. The Visitors center appears to be privately owned and not prohibited by PA Statute, though there were definitely plenty of no guns signs there. Also lots of armed private security on premises. My understanding is it's not technically illegal to carry there, but respecting the intent of the property owner I'd not have carried there. No metal detectors or wands, so i'm certain that I could have carried successfully. I'll also add that the Visitors center is fantastic and well worth it.

Great visit. If I had it to again, I'd carry in the car and discretely disarm when we got there for most of the time outside the car. We didn't seem to be parked in any area prohibited by statue from carrying/possessing. I don't regret my decision not to carry this trip though as the angst of being discrete and uncertain about the rules would have weighed on me during the trip and visit.
    Last edited by ralewis; July 9th, 2019 at 10:43 AM.

(Bucks County)

The new visitor's center [well not so new now] is so much better than the original.

We sent two daughters to Gettysburg College and saw the old center and the new.

My youngest spent 3 summers leading Ghost Tours for a couple, one of the two people who did all the research for all the stories used by all the tours.

Great city to visit and anyone who doesn't 'feel' the aura of the battle after walking around the battle field just isn't normal.....

They archived most of the thousands of guns that were all over the older center and the cyclorama was moved form the dingy basement up to the top floor where you ride up to a central platform among a diorama that extends out to the painting.

You really feel like you were there while they run the program.

No gun zone or not, they really did things right compared to the old one...

Quote Originally Posted by ralewis View Post
    my understanding of PA law is 'no guns' signs don't have the force of law. The Visitors center appears to be privately owned and not prohibited by PA Statute, though there were definitely plenty of no guns signs there. Also lots of armed private security on premises. My understanding is it's not technically illegal to carry there.
    While your understanding of private 'no guns' signs is correct, the visitor center is not privately owned. It is a federal building and is subject to title 18 weapons restrictions the same as any other federal building/military base anywhere in the US.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by jcourson View Post
    While your understanding of private 'no guns' signs is correct, the visitor center is not privately owned. It is a federal building and is subject to title 18 weapons restrictions the same as any other federal building/military base anywhere in the US.
    Sorry, but you are incorrect, it is truly privately built and owned by the Kinsleys, and run as the non-profit Gettysburg foundation, a joint endeavor with the national park service. I know, I was involved in the design and construction. If you don’t want to believe me, please see the tax maps to check ownership in Adams county, it’s private.

Note - most other buildings that are entwined with national parks are federal property, so Mr Courson’s warning is valid. This is one of the very few exceptions. Regardless of what you think of their business practices, If you ever have a chance to meet the Kinsley family be sure to say thank you; they took a huge risk and spent tens of millions of dollars of their own money to make it happen. I know very few people who will give back to the community in such a way.
    Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God.

(York County)

As been stated before, the visitors center is NOT a federally owned building and IS privately owned. Their little “no guns” sign is nothing more than their personal beliefs.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Jhaydeno View Post
    Sorry, but you are incorrect, it is truly privately built and owned by the Kinsleys, and run as the non-profit Gettysburg foundation, a joint endeavor with the national park service. I know, I was involved in the design and construction. If you don’t want to believe me, please see the tax maps to check ownership in Adams county, it’s private.

Note - most other buildings that are entwined with national parks are federal property, so Mr Courson’s warning is valid. This is one of the very few exceptions. Regardless of what you think of their business practices, If you ever have a chance to meet the Kinsley family be sure to say thank you; they took a huge risk and spent tens of millions of dollars of their own money to make it happen. I know very few people who will give back to the community in such a way.
    Quote Originally Posted by cham09 View Post
    As been stated before, the visitors center is NOT a federally owned building and IS privately owned. Their little “no guns” sign is nothing more than their personal beliefs.
    Is the facility leased by the Federal Government?
    Power always thinks...that it is doing God's service when it is violating all his laws.

I was at a federal facility in Harper's ferry West Virginia yesterday. They had a no guns sign on the door. The sign specifically said no guns allowed because it was a federal facility along with the statue and the penalty. [IMG][/IMG]

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by ROCK-IT3 View Post
    Is the facility leased by the Federal Government?
    It is not, it’s a privately run building by a 503c foundation in conjunction with the park service in Gettysburg.
    Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God.

Quote Originally Posted by Jhaydeno View Post

I stand corrected. I thought the facility was supposed to be turned over to the NPS.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123