Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Cumberland County)

Default Interesting malfunction

Not sure what to think of this one. The gun has been extremely reliable before this.

I was testing a box of Federal HST .45 230gr +P in my G30SF. Didn't expect any problems concerning the ammo in my gun. However, at the end of one mag, the last round didn't feed. Was it a FTF... not really. The round was never stripped off the mag... because the slide locked back. It wasn't jammed back, but the slide stop caught it, like it was empty. This is how I found it... exactly

It wasn't touching the feed ramp. So it wasn't jammed. The slide just locked back... When I pulled the slide off the release to chamber it from that position, it didn't chamber. I couldn't get it to duplicate after multiple attempts. So even after this happened, the gun continued to be as reliable as it always has been. The rounds feed great. The recoil is pretty harsh with the 230gr +P HST rounds.

My thought is, the magazine spring is weak, and under the recoil of these HST rounds, the round was bumped forward and the tip of the bullet touched the slide release where the magazine usually engages it, causing the slide to lock back. And typical for it to happen on the last round, where the spring pressure is at it's weakest. Also, the palm of my hand, the fat fleshy part of your thumb ever so slightly touches the release. I don't think that was a contributing factor, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

Think it's a safe bet calling this a magazine issue? HST is expensive and hard to find. I don't think ammo was the issue. I'd hate to have to buy more boxes to test it

I haven't kept tack of the round count, but I'm sure it's 3000+. Some of the mags have been kept loaded for a long time, which shouldn't matter.

(York County)

Default Re: Interesting malfunction

Since on most pistols the slide lock works off the pressure of the magazine spring, I would say your assessment is mostly correct. Looking at the pic, I would say the round was out of position. This could be caused by a weak spring, it could also be caused by a dirty mag, allowing the follower to hang up off angle. To me it looks like it hung up nose high/butt down- enough to engage the slide lock, but low in the back to keep the round from stripping off. I would take the mag apart, clean it and lube with a silicone based lube, and run it thru the ringer.

(Luzerne County)

It is interesting. The part that concerns me is you can't recreate it. As a technician when any system has a failure it always feels better when you can recreate it and fix the problem instead of it being intermittent and with an unknown cause because it can happen again at any time. I carry an XD45 Compact and although it has been super reliable I am waiting for the day when something weird like this happens.

It is totally coincidental but it is for reasons like this I have been thinking about going back to my SP101 as my EDC gun.

I have just been thinking about what could happen if I were to encounter one of those 1 in a million failures during one of those 1 in a million times I might be in danger of my life. I don't carry a backup.

(Luzerne County)

I know it is highly unlikely but is it at all possible that one of your thumbs pushed the slide stop up? Usually the opposite happens, thumbs hold it down and the slide closes on an empty mag.

(Cumberland County)

Wink Re: Interesting malfunction

as we all know anything mechanical can fail or have a hicup at any time. chances of all the circumstances falling into place again are probably minimal. i would still mark this mag and use it only at the range until you are sure. mags are not that expensive so you can always just replace it. imo it was just a freaky event that will drive you crazy if you worry about it. now if it happens again or you can recreate it you got a whole different ballgame.

(Cumberland County)

Well, I've been looking into it for a few hours now. I took the slide release out of the gun and it's ok. I ordered a new one anyway because they're cheap. I also bought a new mag.

However, with my grip my palm below my thumb lightly rests on the bottom of the slide release. When the muzzle flips, the rear of the gun flips downward. With my palm staying in place, it will press the slide release upwards. And after playing with with the gun with no mag inserted, it takes little to NO pressure upwards to engage the slide stop onto the slide.

I'm going to test the new mag for function and then use it mainly for carry use. The new slide release will simply be peace of mind. I have all my mags numbered. It was number 2 which was in the gun when this occurred.

I've had ammo related failures in the past in various firearms. This I couldn't blame on the ammo. Despite that, I still ordered another box of HST to test and hopefully go through malfunction free. After the inital malfunction I finished off the box of HST with no problems and continued shooting FMJ ammo reliably. It could have been a combination of a weak mag spring causing the ammo to move in the mag along with my grip and with the stars and moon aligned in such a way that magical forces caused a strange malfunction.
    Last edited by EvoRich; April 22nd, 2012 at 04:19 PM.

(Cumberland County)

for any future needs i probably have the most complete inventory of factory glock parts in the area. no need to wait for shipping since i am local to you. feel free to call anytime. i can be found at mechanicsburg ordnance 766-9606.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by red dog View Post
    for any future needs i probably have the most complete inventory of factory glock parts in the area. no need to wait for shipping since i am local to you. feel free to call anytime. i can be found at mechanicsburg ordnance 766-9606.
    Great! I'll keep that in mind. Thanks

(Monroe County)

In that position the round should still have feed into the chamber, a weak spring will cause the slide NOT to lock back not the opposite.

Are you right handed? I think you accidentally bumped the slide lock during firing, happens all the time to righties, i dont think you will ever duplicate the failure, i wouldnt worry about it.