Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Cumberland County)

Default New to concealed carry

Hello,

I have just bought a pistol(glock 19) and want to get a concealed carry permit. Right now I am researching holster and am wondering if anybody can help me.

I am 5' 10" and 145 pounds. I work in a woodworking shop all day and always dress in jeans and a button down shirt, tucked in. Now I usually wear a vest of some sort over my shirt but hardly ever a jacket.

What options do I have? Should I have my wife-to-be make me a vest that does not fig snugly and use a shoulder holster? Or are there other types of carry holster that would fit my situation? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Nicolas Barbeito
    Last edited by puppydog85; February 16th, 2008 at 08:35 PM.

(Chester County)

Default Re: New to concealed carry

May I ask a question first?

What is your experience with firearms and pistols in particular?
    Μολὼν λάβε

(Erie County)

I generally wear a pancake style holster at 4 o'clock with a vest or an overshirt. At your height and weight you sound like a slimmer model American such as myself.

As I tend to avoid baggy pants I don't go for IWB holsters or bellybands. I'd have to buy all new jeans to have room in my pants for anything other than the gun God gave me .

I don't find armpit carry comfortable either. I lack the depth of chest for horizontal under arm rig and even the vertical models makes my carry side arm hang funny.

This is just on me. Other models mileage may vary.

Also if your new to all this and have a new firearm, please invest in some safety and handling classes. It truly is money well spent.
    Last edited by CoyoteJack; February 16th, 2008 at 08:19 PM.

(Snyder County)

Welcome to PAFOA and to concealed carry. As tacticalg23 stated there are lots of options for concealed carry. Outside the waistband (owb) is my perfered carry method with my XD 45 compact and 1911. The XD right now is carried in a Blackhawk serpa and the 1911 is carried in an Andrews hybrid saddle style. Inside the waistband (iwb) is another option with some holsters being tuckable. The supertuck from crossbreed holsters is a nice holster as is the answer from tucker gunleather. I've heard good things about both of these holsters.
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms ... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants, they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." -- Thomas Jefferson

(Pike County)

Howdy Nic, and welcome. If you dont like an IWB, and you normally wear a vest, try one one size up and get it in long rather than regular length. This should give you the room and a little more material for covering the 19 in a OWB holster.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by PisnNapalm View Post
    May I ask a question first?

What is your experience with firearms and pistols in particular?
    I have grown up(now 22) around rifles and have shot pistols occasionally. I am new to the semi-automatic in pistols (again, not in rifles). My father has a Ruger revolver that I am used to shooting. So, put my experience level at moderate/fair.

I am getting used to the gun now. I have shot 50 rounds through it so far and will work on sending more out.

(Snyder County)

Training, Training, Training. I would look into finding a training course, there is a good course coming up in June in Holidaysburg with Tactical Response. It's well worth the money.
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms ... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants, they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." -- Thomas Jefferson

I would check out an IWB holster and with your build and that gun, you'll probably have to wear it just slightly behind your hip. I'm 6' 150 lbs, so not that much different and I carry a double stack .45 and it conceals just fine. The IWB holster is going to be required if you want to wear a shirt tucked in and ever want to go without the vest. Check out Crossbreed, Comp-Tac, and K&D Holsters. There are plenty more out there as well, just a couple makers that I've never heard a bad word about.

I have a buddy who has a Dakota Defender from K&D and an MTAC Minotar from Comp-Tac and both are phenomenal. I tried them both on and I'm probably going to get myself a Minotar.

All three makers have tuckable IWB holsters where you can tuck your shirt in over the holster and gun.

(Allegheny County)

Training, Training, Training, best investment you'll make!
    "Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)
    Speed is fine, Accuracy is final

(Chester County)

My advice to you would be to get some professional training.

I was like you. I shot rifle competitively in high school but had limited experience with pistols.

I bought a Ruger MKIII 22/45 and started to practice. Then I thought.... I want something bigger. I bought a Taurus 24/7 Pro in .45acp. What happened next was that I developed some bad habits. Flinching, squeezing the grip right before the shot, etc...

I took a NRA Basic Pistol course at the range I joined. I received extensive one on one help from trained instructors and competitive shooters. It helped me immensely.

Later this year I hope to take the next class called Personal Protection.

Anyway....

If you can afford it, I'd suggest taking some formal training. Also, if you can, get yourself a nice .22 pistol for practicing. I shoot my .22 Ruger alot more than the .45 because it's a helluva lot cheaper.

Invest in eye and ear protection too. When I shot in high school we weren't required to wear protection. I know now that I lost some of my hearing range from that.

Next.... Do not be afraid to ask questions. These forums have some of the nicest and most knowlegeable people I've ever encountered online. Don't be afraid to say "Hey I got a newbie question........."

Lastly.... Welcome to PAFOA!
    Μολὼν λάβε

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast