Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Hybrid View

(Philadelphia County)

Default smith for an old ('63?) Ithaca 37 featherlight

so i picked up a nice old ithaca 37 from a gun show not too long ago, looks beautiful, old corncob pump handle, nice wood, whole package. All that's missing is a big recoil pad because shooting more than 50 clays in a session hurts with that sucker, she's so light!

i started to take the thing apart for a detail strip and clean and now i'm not really sure what to do. all the videos and manuals i've found are for slightly different models or just don't work for me.

I'm looking for a smith who can do the job for me. Detail strip, clean and oil it real nice, and re assemble the whole package for me.

I've never had a smith do anything before, so I don't know if this is a job anyone could do for me or if i need to find a 'specialized' one.

I live in philly but don't mind driving any reasonable distance.

(Delaware County)

Default Re: smith for an old ('63?) Ithaca 37 featherlight

Try Locke'sn Gun Shop up on, I believe, frankford ave. They are on the net w/ address and phone number. It doesn't take a master smith to deliver the service you are looking for. The shortage of smiths is a crying shame. If Locke's can't do that simple task, PM me.
    Last edited by c45man; April 27th, 2012 at 06:31 PM.

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: smith for an old ('63?) Ithaca 37 featherlight

well i hope you're right man.

i've had reservations about Lock's for a while. They really sorta screwed my roommate over on a bolt repair for a sporterized 1903 springer that he bought there. it took WEEKS longer than they claimed, and once when he called they couldn't even find it.

now i've heard so many ppl say lock's is great, so i figured i'd give em a chance cause they treated me right when i bought my cz. after i handed them the shotgun he told me it would take "weeks" cause they were really backed up.

immediately skeptical. im figuring months unless i call often.
    also, while i was looking at some pistols an associate came up to the boss to talk about some guy who they're supposed to order parts for but he cant find the receipt. the boss responds with "i remember that guy...just order the part"

yikes.
    fuck.