Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Monroe County)

Default Northampton community college

Ok, I have looked at what I can find ONLINE, all i have found is that STUDENTS AND STAFF are prohibited to posses ANY WEAPON on campus. My girl goes to the monroe campus, and I carry all the time. Usually conceal if I go there to pick her up because I dont want any trouble for HER, though I rarely EVER go inside. My question is this, are VISITORS prohibited? I ask because all I find on the subject is students and staff, nothing listed about visitors... Can anyone enlighten me?

(Also please note that I have been inside the campus building a couple times and have seen NO SIGNS prohibiting firearms, just no smoking signs.)

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Northampton community college

Hey Steve,

You can carry concealed legally in a host of places. Community colleges being one of them. I don't see anywhere in your post that you say you're a student of such college. Please understand if you are a student of the institution you choose to carry concealed at and the school finds out about it, they may "kick you out". Also, as far as I understand the law, signs posted pertaining to "no firearms" have no legal bearing in the commonwealth. With that being said, if you are found to be in possession of a firearm where a sign is posted, concerned parties may ask you to leave. If you choose not to leave, you could be found guilty of trespassing. I hope this helps and that I have not given any misinformation. Many other members here are much more knowledgeable than I. There is a sticky at the top of this forum listing (in detail) where you can and cannot carry in the commonwealth. Give it a look, tons of great information with references. Good luck and be safe.

(Monroe County)

I know about the signage and private property and the like. I was hoping for someone who actually knew if there was a "rule" regarding carry for a non student. Ive already read through their online rules/regs and have only found prohibitions in relation to students and staff. Its mainly curiosity as I usually conceal if I have to go inside as to not cause her any trouble.

Also as a side note, a college like other places - can tell you to leave and if you do not you can be charged with trespassing. Also they can put in place their own rules on campus.
    Last edited by SteveinNEPA; April 22nd, 2012 at 11:43 AM.

(Monroe County)

I dont recall seeing anything in the -student handbook- about visitors being armed. I do recall that all weapons including firearms are prohibited for students unless cleared to do so by the dean of students.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by SteveinNEPA View Post
    Ok, I have looked at what I can find ONLINE, all i have found is that STUDENTS AND STAFF are prohibited to posses ANY WEAPON on campus. My girl goes to the monroe campus, and I carry all the time. Usually conceal if I go there to pick her up because I dont want any trouble for HER, though I rarely EVER go inside. My question is this, are VISITORS prohibited? I ask because all I find on the subject is students and staff, nothing listed about visitors... Can anyone enlighten me?

(Also please note that I have been inside the campus building a couple times and have seen NO SIGNS prohibiting firearms, just no smoking signs.)
    Aren't the community colleges owned/funded by the State or the Counties?

(Indiana County)

Community colleges appear to be semi-autonomous county entities, thus preemption would appear to apply.

Does it fully apply? I don't know. Perhaps a lawsuit by a person with "standing" could clarify the issue.

Of course, workplace rules (faculty and staff) and student rules (at least for those under 21) would also appear to be exempt from preemption.

Fear of prosecution may work in a federal lawsuit, but it won't cut the mustard in a state court.

(Allegheny County)

hey steve,
    Unless there is some "actual communication" to you (e.g. "defiant trespass") you should be okay when you're there. Just keep looking for the presence of any signage, as you have been doing, and stay on notice for any new signage. As it sounds like you've been doing, CC is probably you're preferred method of carry in this type of situation.

(b) Defiant trespasser.--
    (1) A person commits an offense if, knowing that he is
    not licensed or privileged to do so, he enters or remains in
    any place as to which notice against trespass is given by:
    (i) actual communication to the actor;
    (ii) posting in a manner prescribed by law or
    reasonably likely to come to the attention of intruders;
    (iii) fencing or other enclosure manifestly designed
    to exclude intruders;
    (iv) notices posted in a manner prescribed by law or
    reasonably likely to come to the person's attention at
    each entrance of school grounds that visitors are
    prohibited without authorization from a designated
    school, center or program official; or

(v) an actual communication to the actor to leave
    school grounds as communicated by a school, center or
    program official, employee or agent or a law enforcement
    officer.

(2) Except as provided in paragraph (1)(v), an offense
    under this subsection constitutes a misdemeanor of the third
    degree if the offender defies an order to leave personally
    communicated to him by the owner of the premises or other
    authorized person. An offense under paragraph (1)(v)
    constitutes a misdemeanor of the first degree. Otherwise it
    is a summary offense.
    this is not legal advice.

(Monroe County)

Jcabin, Statkowski, and Cmanzi - Thank you for your input. THAT was what I was hoping to hear, I appreciate it!