Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Indiana County)

Default Out of state resident getting permit in PA

So this past week a relative of mine visited from Massachusetts, this relative has a license to carry in Mass and she wanted to eventually get hers to carry in PA since she comes down to visit often. Well she walked into the Indiana County Courthouse and 15 minutes later she walked out with her LTCF. My real question here is my home of record on my drivers license is in Bucks county, why did I have to travel to Bucks county to get my LTCF if she who is a non PA resident could get a resident permit in any county. Also I hear of all of these people waiting long periods of time to get their LTCF approved when she was able to just walk in and get hers. Doesn't make sense to me. I'm glad she was able to get it so easily but why the hassle for residents? I only had to wait as long as it took to fill out the form before they had me in the back taking my picture but I still had to travel to Bucks county to get mine. Also she was told that PA doesn't have a non resident permit that all the permits are the same, so her LTCF looks the exact same as mine.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Out of state resident getting permit in PA

You, as a PA resident, must apply to the sheriff of the county in which you live. Since you DL has a Bucks address that is where you had to go. If you moved, you should have your address changed to reflect the new address. A non-resident can apply at any county sheriff. Even though they all legally must issue, some sheriffs refuse to issue to non-residents.

and...even the the process is supposed to be uniform across the state, there are sheriffs that create their own rules and add extra hoops to jump thru to apply...include waiting periods.

(Monroe County)

100% on what jam2jab said. Check out the denied LTCF thread and read the beauty of county to county differences later in the thread...

on a more related topic, CONGRATS to her for getting a PA LTCF!

(Indiana County)

I just found it interesting that she could get her carry license anywhere in the state and a lot easier than a resident.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by soccerbum87 View Post
    I just found it interesting that she could get her carry license anywhere in the state and a lot easier than a resident.

She did not get her LTCF easier than a resident, she got it easier than some residents.

I got mine (in York County) in about 10 minutes. As mrjam2jab said, some Sheriffs add substantial hoops to jump through. They get away with it because applicants don't fight them on it.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

It used to be a lot easier for non-residents. They used to be able to do the entire transaction by mail. Now they have to appear in person. That worked out for your cousin, since she was visiting you anyway. For people from more distant states who want a PA LTCF in preparation for a possible future visit, the need to apply in person is a MAJOR stumbling block.

Quote Originally Posted by Greywolf View Post
    It used to be a lot easier for non-residents. They used to be able to do the entire transaction by mail. Now they have to appear in person. That worked out for your cousin, since she was visiting you anyway. For people from more distant states who want a PA LTCF in preparation for a possible future visit, the need to apply in person is a MAJOR stumbling block.
    I'm really, really, REALLY surprised that counties like Centre haven't gotten around this yet. The new law doesn't require someone to show up in person, it only requires that the applicant's picture goes into the database. When I applied for my LTCF, this was accomplished by hooking up a digital camera to a computer via USB.

For $10-$100 worth of material, I could set up a solution that would allow online and/or mail-in applications and be fully compliant with the law. I would think that counties like Centre, which undoubtedly saw a significant drop in revenue when the new law took place, would have worked overtime to re-establish that revenue source.

I wonder if all it would take is a techie volunteering to help them set it up.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by OwnTheRide View Post
    I'm really, really, REALLY surprised that counties like Centre haven't gotten around this yet. The new law doesn't require someone to show up in person, it only requires that the applicant's picture goes into the database. When I applied for my LTCF, this was accomplished by hooking up a digital camera to a computer via USB.

For $10-$100 worth of material, I could set up a solution that would allow online and/or mail-in applications and be fully compliant with the law. I would think that counties like Centre, which undoubtedly saw a significant drop in revenue when the new law took place, would have worked overtime to re-establish that revenue source.

License to Carry Firearms

License to Carry Firearms Applications Via Mail Discontinued as of March 31, 2011

As the result of requirements of Act 66, 2005, applicants must have their photo and signature captured electronically into our system. At this time there is no manner to complete these requirements without the personal appearance of the applicant.

Therefore we will not be able to process any mailed applications received after March 31, 2011.
    http://www.co.centre.pa.us/211.asp#license

Quote Originally Posted by OwnTheRide View Post

How could they possibly verify that a person sitting in front of a computer 2000 miles away is the same person whose name and personal data appear on the application?

What $100 system could you set up that would be fully compliant with the law?

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by soberbyker View Post
    As the result of requirements of Act 66, 2005, applicants must have their photo and signature captured electronically into our system. At this time there is no manner to complete these requirements without the personal appearance of the applicant.
    So they say. Where is it in the UFA that doing so in-person is a requirement?

There are lots of ways, directly and indirectly, to electronically capture photos and signatures. A scanner is one such way, and wouldn't require the applicant to be physically present.

Originally Posted by Greywolf
    How could they possibly verify that a person sitting in front of a computer 2000 miles away is the same person whose name and personal data appear on the application?
    As I understand it, there are several other states which issue carry permits by mail to PA residents. Without seeing the person, how can they verify that the person applying is the person who's name and data appear on the application?
    I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast