Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Centre County)

Default New to Centre County

Just moved here from out West and thought I'd put a post up here to introduce myself. I'm starting a non-permanent job at the University that could go from 2-4 years or potentially be long term. I'll probably look up this sporting goods yardsale and meet some local folks.

I learned to shoot rifles in boyscouts 20+ years ago... took a lot of time off, but got interested again in my 30's. I've tried hunting about everything local to where I've lived, with decent success here and there. I like to put some venison in the freezer, lure geese in with field decoys, jump ducks, and beyond that will likely be gravitating towards small game as my older son is turning 6 and is getting interested. We shoot a lot of ground squirrels this time of year where I come from, I have a 17hmr for that.

Over the last few years I've enjoyed competing in cowboy lever-action silhouette in the summer and indoor .22 bullseye in the winter. I enjoy the structure of competition, but don't want to take it too seriously. I'm looking for something reasonably affordable and nearby to get involved in that will help with practical field shooting skills. (appleseed?)

I reload: 25-06, .308, 35 rem, 45 Colt... but shoot more .22lr than anything else by a wide margin.

Would love to talk deer hunting strategies and (general) locations... not going to ask for your secret spot, but more interested in understanding the ways of doing things in these dense woods.

(Mifflin County)

Default Re: New to Centre County

Welcome to the area.

If you're interested in Appleseed, there's one coming up this weekend at Mifflin County Sportsmen's Association. There are also events scheduled for June, July, August, September and October. Info here

If you're a pistol shooter, MCSA also has steel plate pistol matches every month, and Lewistown Pistol Club holds monthly IDPA matches. LPC is also going to start 2 gun (rifle/pistol) rimfire matches this year.

MCSA also has events for rifle, shotgun, muzzle loader and archery types.

Both clubs are in the Lewisown area, about 30 minutes from State College.
    Club websites: Mifflin County Sportsmen's and Lewistown Pistol Club

Welcome to Pa.

I'm north so I can't help much, but there are plenty of folk in your area on this forum.
    FUCK BIDEN

(Centre County)

Welcome to the forum. Lots of areas to hunt around here on public and private land. Plenty of public lands 10 minutes from town. Also a public gun range and many private ranges within 25 miles, some starting as low as $10 per year membership. Centre county thread is usually active. Also, don't miss the gun show April 21 and 22 at the Grange fairgrounds in Centre Hall.

(Centre County)

Thanks for the tip on the MCSA, thats exactly the kind of place I was looking for.

(Centre County)

Welcome to the area, always glad to have new shooters. I'm the one that hosts the sporting goods only garage sale and the latest one is in the works right now. Always a bunch of local PAFOAers show up and just hang around talking guns and such. I'm one of the local enablers (FFL) that people use, I run (part time for now) a gun repair/refurbishment business.

Any questions about the area, any subject, just post them here, they'll get answered.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member