Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Little frustrated

Okay so I've been working on my friend to get her LTCF because we'll be in a shop together soon. I told her it doesn't mean she HAS to carry, but that way at least she'll have the license and we can go from there. I did take her to the range and she enjoyed shooting my SR22...she also shot the LC9 and LCP and did well although of course those are not as easy to "enjoy".

So she told me she talked to a friend who, I'm not sure, LEO or gun lover or something...anyway and she asked him about having a .22. (Evidently she thought she'd be okay carrying a .22...I was like...NO!) Of course the guy said no, the .22 will only make the guy mad and have the guy coming back at you. True statement, for the most part.

But here's where I got frustrated. THEN the guy proceeds to tell her not to carry. Just plain, "Don't carry". Why? Because "attacks happen by surprise and you won't be prepared and won't be able to pull the weapon anyway, so it does you no good." REALLY?!?! Now, in my mind, that's terrible advice, and I told her so. I said "What if we're in there late at night and some guy is banging on the back door trying to get in? Do we huddle in the bathroom hoping the cops come and the lock holds, or do we have some "back up protection" while we wait for the cops?!" Or, I'm sure not taking any trash out back late at night without my hand actually physically on the grip of a weapon. Just sayin'. NOT EVERYTHING happens "surprise attack" with no time to draw! Sure, there are times like that...but other times, there is going to be plenty of time to see something coming and prepare to defend ourselves if necessary.

So I told her this but my poor friend, her husband owns guns but he also feels the same way about carrying, so I have two against one right now, and she's stuck in the middle, not sure who she wants to agree with...me, or her husband and her gun friend.

Sigh.

I would just feel terrible if I left her one night unarmed and something happened after I left that maybe my weapon could have prevented. I guess that's "paranoid" but..... our shop is going to be in a good, middle class, populated area. On the other hand, the back door has the remnants of a previous break-in attempt from I'm-not-sure how long ago. Just like, probably, ANY business in our entire area.....

Just venting...why do people who are supposedly good and familiar with guns tell other people that carrying doesn't do any good?????
    Last edited by cakeshooter; April 19th, 2012 at 04:21 PM.
    "Stupid people are ruining America." --Herman Cain

Default Re: Little frustrated

If you want to pursue the issue you could do a web search of particular cases where Concealed carry has helped people and share them with her.

Here is one, but there are tons.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2864702/posts

(Butler County)

That's more than a little frustrating!

Why doesn't her husband want her to carry?? You'd think a husband would WANT his wife to carry, WANT her to be able to defend herself, WANT her to not be a victim.

1) Don't feel sorry for someone who is weak of character and chooses to be a victim. It's like being a missionary. You can spread the word and encourage but only a few will see the light. The rest, oh well, you tried.

2) I have said the same thing to people. I don't think they should carry, surprize attack etc...but I also follow up with specific reasons why I don't think they should. With carry, comes many responsibilities and not everyone is up to that level. Just the plain on truth. I don't know your friend so I can't say one way or the other. But I will error on the side of carry on this one just because it's one more for our ranks

CL

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by customloaded View Post
    1) Don't feel sorry for someone who is weak of character and chooses to be a victim. It's like being a missionary. You can spread the word and encourage but only a few will see the light. The rest, oh well, you tried.

2) I have said the same thing to people. I don't think they should carry, surprize attack etc...but I also follow up with specific reasons why I don't think they should. With carry, comes many responsibilities and not everyone is up to that level. Just the plain on truth. I don't know your friend so I can't say one way or the other. But I will error on the side of carry on this one just because it's one more for our ranks

CL
    Do you think maybe he said so because she was specifically asking about a .22, which maybe made him think she wasn't prepared to actually carry a "real" self defense weapon?

What are some specific reasons you've told people in the past? Esp regarding "surprise attacks"?

I do know she did, now that I think about it, say she didn't want to kill anybody, just hurt them. Could that have been a reason he told her not to carry?

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by cakeshooter View Post
    Do you think maybe he said so because she was specifically asking about a .22, which maybe made him think she wasn't prepared to actually carry a "real" self defense weapon?
    So she told me she talked to a friend who, I'm not sure, LEO or gun lover or something...anyway and she asked him about having a .22. (Evidently she thought she'd be okay carrying a .22...I was like...NO!) Of course the guy said no, the .22 will only make the guy mad and have the guy coming back at you. True statement, for the most part.

I'm curious about the remarks over the .22 round. Now, statistics are pretty clear that most shootings aren't fatal and the .22 is obviously less damaging than larger rounds, but it's not just going to leave welts either.

Police (and many citizens) take training where they experience the impact of a tazer, pepper-spray, paintball and even in extreme cases beanbag rounds (not too many volunteering to get hit by those though). I can't recall any standing and saying, "hey, shoot me with this .22 I want to see what it's like."

(Beaver County)

I feel that when someone is "on the fence" about things as serious as this, they require more information. Good information, not "you'll shoot your eye out kid" information. Get said person to come to this forum, point them in the right direction, and continue to offer support; safety, range trips, etc..

As far as a .22; if that's what someone is comfortable with, a .22 is better than "911" if there's an immediate threat. Some people need to take baby steps (And I don't mean that in a condescending manner) when it comes to firearms; recoil can seriously deter people.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by JesterPgh View Post
    I feel that when someone is "on the fence" about things as serious as this, they require more information. Good information, not "you'll shoot your eye out kid" information. Get said person to come to this forum, point them in the right direction, and continue to offer support; safety, range trips, etc..

As far as a .22; if that's what someone is comfortable with, a .22 is better than "911" if there's an immediate threat. Some people need to take baby steps (And I don't mean that in a condescending manner) when it comes to firearms; recoil can seriously deter people.
    Do they make home defense .22 ammo?

(Franklin County)

I too disagree with the less than lethal comments on a .22 Although not the show stopper my .45 or .357 are, there are plenty of those that are dead or in jail because a .22 put them there. A couple in the chest will deflate the lungs or puncture the heart, or a well placed on in the head will bounce around and do lots of drain bamage.....

Quote Originally Posted by customloaded View Post
    ^^This^^
    It's the proverbial, can lead a horse to water saying. You can talk all you want but know when to just back off and hope you don't have that "I told you so" moment in the hospital or funeral home.

(Bucks County)

Okay well then....I guess maybe I'll change my attitude about the .22 and try to encourage her to still get her LTCF and carry the .22 if she wants to....

I want her to have the LTCF anyway, since I'll have one...and if there is EVER a reason where she needs to use my weapon in any extreme circumstance, I don't want there to even be a QUESTION about whether or not she was supposed to have it. (Not saying it would be illegal, but it would be easier if she just had the license.)

Or hey, even if I just wanna meet her at the range....

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast