Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Question First Time LTCF Applicant

Hi everyone,
    I was wondering why it seems like Monroe county requires way more of you than most other counties? I keep reading horror stories of the process in the county and friends in Pike, Lackawanna and Wyoming said they were in and out in 25 minutes. I am applying for the first time. I have a copy of local tax form to show, (which no one else I know needed and I thought was unnecessary) but i have it ..so that's fine. In terms of references... I haven't been a county resident for that long and I only know one in county fulltime resident. Loads of other references, but outside of the county. Is there anyway around this? Is it possible to have the application go through with one in county reference and one out of county?
    I want to be able to get this done as quickly and painlessly as possible the first go.

Thanks.

(Monroe County)

Default Re: First Time LTCF Applicant

Have you lived in the state for atleast a year?
    As far as references you should be good to go so long as your references are atleast PA residents. You could mention it to them that only one of your references are monroe county residents as you just moved here and are trying to work within the guide lines.

Your turn around time will probably be around 40 days, which seems to be the average in this county.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(Monroe County)

I've technically been a PA resident since October, although my family has owned the home for over 10 years..(I know that does not matter). My references are in Lackawanna and I can put one in Monroe that I know... but I know they can be sticklers for the rules in Monroe county pertaining to the application and I don't want to make it difficult on myself and them...they ask for 2 that "MUST" be fulltime Monroe county residents....although I don't see the reasoning for it as it is a statewide permit.

Do you think they would be willing to bend if I explained to the sheriff that I only know of one reference in Monroe and the others would be all from outside counties?
    I just don't want to waste the time and gas to go to Strouds to get denied bc of something like that.. perhaps I will call tomorrow instead and explain the situation.

Thanks.

(Monroe County)

IIRC you have to be a state resident for either 6 months or a year before you can apply. If your parents owned a home in the state, but you didn't live in the state, I doubt that makes you eligible for the LTCF if you just moved in here a few months ago. It could be different if you were the actual home owner.

I don't know the exact requirements off hand, they are listed here on the site though.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(Monroe County)

Thanks. I've been a resident for over 6 months. There is no problem there.. the only issue I am having is the reference. I called the office and was told that I need both references to have fulltime mailing addresses in Monroe county. So there's my problem..I dont see how that's possible only knowing one person in county.

Regardless of what "requirements" the sheriff imposes on the LTCF process... Length of state residency does not matter nor does having both references in the same county or even both being residents of PA.

(Monroe County)

well yes, I realize these are not "requirements" per the UFA..("no municipality may establish thier own rules regarding firearms and any changes related to firearms related regulations must go through the PA General Assembly")..

but Local Tax form and 2 IN county resident references are for some reason a requirement through the Monroe county department... who are the ones taking care of my LTCF..

So if they say they need something, they will deny my request if I do not priovide them with what they want.. even though it is ridiculous and unnecessary...

I was wondering if there was any solution to it.. as they seem to not be budging on the issue.. I may have an old friend that might still live in the county willing to be my second reference.. if I can reach out to them and they agree, hopefully I should be all good to go... these Monroe requirements seem downright silly though.. and I'm sure I'll be rewarded for my running around to meet their requirements by a nice 40 day turnaround time...

(Monroe County)

Just give what references you can regardless of where they live and tell them to pound salt if they got an issue of where they live. The sheriff needs a good slap in the face.
    Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets.

(Monroe County)

monroe county REALLY to needs to get their sh!t straight... 1% earned income, 2 ref, 45 days that they WILL TAKE EVERY SECOND OF to get you your LTCF...

(Monroe County)

I'm just gonna give them my application with the fee, the copy of my 1% local income tax form, one reference from Monroe and one reference from Lackawanna and hope its okay..I'll tell him that it's the best I can provide for him being in the county for 7 months.

There's nothing I can do about getting a second in county reference.. I'm working my best to comply with his unlawful requirements and I think providing the above mentioned info should be more than enough.

We'll see....

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast