Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default Re: First Time LTCF Applicant

Hello Folks,

I am a U.S. Army Sergeant living an working at tobyhanna army depot. I moved here per U.S. Army order. I have been in the state for 11 months. I am not a resident of PA. I don't have a PA DL. I do live here in monroe county on the depot.

I have not started the process yet but i want to. Can you fine people give me a quick road map to success on this process.

V/r
    Warhorse

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by tfranzone View Post
    Hi everyone,
    I was wondering why it seems like Monroe county requires way more of you than most other counties? I keep reading horror stories of the process in the county and friends in Pike, Lackawanna and Wyoming said they were in and out in 25 minutes. I am applying for the first time. I have a copy of local tax form to show, (which no one else I know needed and I thought was unnecessary) but i have it ..so that's fine. In terms of references... I haven't been a county resident for that long and I only know one in county fulltime resident. Loads of other references, but outside of the county. Is there anyway around this? Is it possible to have the application go through with one in county reference and one out of county?
    I want to be able to get this done as quickly and painlessly as possible the first go.

Thanks.
    Funny...I'm moving "back" (lived in Monroe county about 20 years ago) to PA after years here in the peoples republic of nj, and one of the big reasons is because of PA being a much more "free" state with regards to firearms. So I too was surprised when I saw the CCW requirments of Monroe County...

I can partially understand the reference issue...(though I would think "PA resident" would be sufficient)...but the tax documenation? Really? What bearing does that have on someones qualification to have a CCW?

(Delaware County)

The ONLY restriction on references is that they can't be Family Members.

Other than that.... They could be in Russsia if you want.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by bobd View Post
    I can partially understand the reference issue...(though I would think "PA resident" would be sufficient)...but the tax documenation? Really? What bearing does that have on someones qualification to have a CCW?
    This has been discussed on many threads.

The tax document proves that you are a tax paying resident of Monroe County and not someone from another state that owns a summer house and wants to take advantage of the rewards of being a resident, like getting a LTCF. It has been a requirement for many years and I don't think that it will disappear any time soon.

(Monroe County)

Thanks folks...

BimmerJon...the Monroe county application seems pretty clear that...in Monroe county..they want Monroe county residents as references. I'm sure it's a local thing that you can argue from a legal standpoint, but not wanting to but heads with the local law, even if I have grounds...I'll comply.

Kramer,
    Sorry I didn't check other threads...just offering my thoughts on what I found. Guess that makes sense...thanks for clarifying.

Bob

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by bobd View Post
    Thanks folks...

BimmerJon...the Monroe county application seems pretty clear that...in Monroe county..they want Monroe county residents as references. I'm sure it's a local thing that you can argue from a legal standpoint, but not wanting to but heads with the local law, even if I have grounds...I'll comply..

Bob
    state law is also very clear that no local sheriff can make up their own policies in regards to the LTCF. The state police is the ONLY entity given authority to set those guidelines and they are to be uniform in ALL counties.

What your Sheiff is requiring of you is unenforceable, illegal and unjust.
    You are certainly able to make your own choice to comply with illegal practices, but make no mistake. "heads" have already been butted. You're just conceeding.

Everyone has their price. Maybe this is very minor to you. What if he required a blood sample? DNA swap, serial #'s of all your guns, 200 instead of 20 for the application?

Hope it all works out for you. Frankly, it makes me vomit seeing LEO break the law and the citizens abused just "comply"

Welcome to the site

(Monroe County)

BimmerJon,

You're 100% correct. It is food for thought...having my action reflect my beliefs...

And thanks for the welcome. I'm looking forward to being here (and being back in PA).
    Last edited by bobd; July 21st, 2012 at 04:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tfranzone View Post
    well yes, I realize these are not "requirements" per the UFA..("no municipality may establish thier own rules regarding firearms and any changes related to firearms related regulations must go through the PA General Assembly")..

but Local Tax form and 2 IN county resident references are for some reason a requirement through the Monroe county department... who are the ones taking care of my LTCF..

So if they say they need something, they will deny my request if I do not priovide them with what they want.. even though it is ridiculous and unnecessary...

I was wondering if there was any solution to it.. as they seem to not be budging on the issue.. I may have an old friend that might still live in the county willing to be my second reference.. if I can reach out to them and they agree, hopefully I should be all good to go... these Monroe requirements seem downright silly though.. and I'm sure I'll be rewarded for my running around to meet their requirements by a nice 40 day turnaround time...
    Most of the counties check your tax records to verify you are a county resident and as a means of ensuring the taxes are being paid. Cumberland County checks the tax records also but they do it internally so I don't have to show the receipt.

Quote Originally Posted by Kramer View Post
    This has been discussed on many threads.

The tax document proves that you are a tax paying resident of Monroe County and not someone from another state that owns a summer house and wants to take advantage of the rewards of being a resident, like getting a LTCF. It has been a requirement for many years and I don't think that it will disappear any time soon.
    By having you produce the tax document it is only saving one of the deputies the trouble of checking the county tax office (in many cases in the same building). He/she can verify your status in a matter of seconds instead of a much longer time needed to dig through files.

I'm not saying the practice is right... but it may save you some time and get the LTCF in your hands faster.l

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by MT1 View Post
    By having you produce the tax document it is only saving one of the deputies the trouble of checking the county tax office (in many cases in the same building). He/she can verify your status in a matter of seconds instead of a much longer time needed to dig through files.

I'm not saying the practice is right... but it may save you some time and get the LTCF in your hands faster.l
    I honestly have no problem doing the leg work if it helps the locals. Hey, it's for my benefit. I guess I was trying to get a sense if the requirements were a case of helping expidite the process (ie. not tie up LEO with additional administrative work...which I can understand) or a case of just trying to make the process difficult because they really don't want to approve.

In any event, I'll be applying as soon as all is in order...and compared to NJ (where a CCW permit is a like a Sasquatch...you hear about it but never see it) the extra effort is worth it (to me).

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast