Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (York County)

Default Ahh, a costly non-encounter.

Well, I guess it was bound to happen sooner or later, and it could have been worse. I got pulled over for speeding by an Leo of Lower Windsor Township. Now, I open carry my Kimber, crossdraw, everywhere I go.( oh oh, I can hear the axes grinding ). Today was no different, except that I recently sold my WRX, and now drive an underpowered '82 Chevy Malibu. What this means is, I sometimes need a running start for hills. I was doing what I thought was 50 in a 45, except it was a 30 ( oops ). Well, I hear a siren approaching from behind, so I jump into someone's driveway to clear the way not knowing he was after me. Thank god the people who's driveway I jumped into were cool , and if you visit here, thank you again. Anyway, the officer walks up, goes over why he pulled me over, takes my info, looks down at my pistol, and goes back to his cruiser without asking for my LTCF. Time goes by ( too much time) ,and I'm thinking " crap, he's waiting for back up ", when he exits his cruiser and approaches my door. He goes on to explain how they've increased patrol of this road ( prayer mission rd.) due to complaints from bus drivers and students ( we're 2 miles from eastern York schools). He explains that since he's not stopped me before, that he's not going to cite me for 20 over ( as that would be 4 points and a hefty fine.), instead he hit me for 5 over, and a promise to stay at the posted limit. At no time was my weapon a topic, or the officer anything other than respectful and professional in his behavior. This is the second officer of Lower Windsor Township I have had to deal with, and the second time I have been impressed with them. I have always been addressed as " sir ", and always in a calm, non-authoritative and professional manner. I hate that I need to pay a fine, but other than that, these officers were almost a pleasure to deal with. If I could plus rep a police dept., I would rep 'em.
    Last edited by DClan; April 19th, 2012 at 10:08 PM.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Ahh, Dammit !

That's the way police civilian contacts should happen.

(Blair County)

Your first mistake was selling a WRX to drive an '82 Malibu.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by DClan View Post
    If I could plus rep a police dept., I would rep 'em.
    You can, by writing a letter to the police department complimenting the officer's professionalism and level of training regarding your firearm.
    You can get further with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by JJN View Post
    You can, by writing a letter to the police department complimenting the officer's professionalism and level of training regarding your firearm.
    This ^ Because sometimes cops like to get a gold star from a citizen. Cops too many times get nothing but complaints, but the occasional nice letter is a good thing.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(York County)

I just read your responses, and I will write them a letter, thank you. As for selling my WRX, it wasn't what I wanted to do. I was in dire financial need and it was sell the subie, or sell all my guns, and the subie lost. The Malibu was all I could afford, with what money was left, after I paid what was owed. Thanks again.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by JJN View Post
    Definitely. I was a government bureaucrat for a while and I would have loved for my boss to get a letter from a member of the public complimenting my professionalism. It would have gone a long way to help in some stupid disputes we had over policy interpretation, to get someone from outside writing in and saying "twency was very helpful and professional to deal with, and he is a credit to your agency". That sort of thing is also extremely helpful when performance review time rolls around.

As it was I would sometimes get "thank you for helping me" type calls directly, which were nice, but didn't do me any good when fighting the good fight regarding policy issues with someone higher up the food chain. And I didn't feel right asking people to contact my boss about me (much as I wanted to) so I just said "thanks" and moved on.
    I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by chiefdjs View Post
    That's the way civilian civilian contacts should happen.
    Fixed it for you.
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by medsteele View Post
    Your first mistake was selling a WRX to drive an '82 Malibu.
    I gotta ask... Why did ya sell the WRX? As for the rest, I'll echo others in saying kudos to the cop for just doing his job and not giving opinions, and also for cutting you a break. 4 points is huge when it comes to insurance rates.
    Μολὼν λάβε

(York County)

I don't want to get into too much detail about it. I will say that I am on a fixed income due to spinal damage, that my left knee is damaged from a near fatal MRSA infection ( made using the clutch beyond painful ), and that the subie was gonna need maintenance beyond my income ability in 10 to 15 thousand miles. Add to that some serious immediate financial needs, and the subie was better off with someone who would love it as much as I did. Better to sell her while she's still solid than to panic and scramble to sell her when she's developed issues. Damn, I miss that car.
    Last edited by DClan; April 19th, 2012 at 08:48 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast