Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Tips on Carrying Concealed comfortably without printing?

Hey anyone have any tips on carrying concealed comfortably without printing or accidentally exposing the gun? I have a taurus millennium pt111 and a IWH.
    Im about 6ft 160 lbs. i wear a size 32 but went out and got size 34 pants so that they could be a little loose for the IWH . and i wear Med sized t shirts. and right handed.

any tips on how to carry without wearing XL tshirts and super baggy pants?
    im not trying to look like a thug or different holsters?

so far i tried wearing around the house with it on my right hip and that seems most comfortable but its a little noticable.

my LTCF should be ready in another week or 2.

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Tips on Carrying Concealed comfortably without printing?

I struggled with this for a year trying different clothes and different holsters. I then came to two conclusions.

First if it shows slightly no one will notice and it is still legal in PA anyway.

Second I went to an OWB holster by Ryan Grizzle, The Georgia Snap, because it was extremely comfortable and still very concealable. Google him. I carry an XD 45 Compact. I am 5'11" and 250 lbs. I can wear a light t-shirt with jeans and you still can not see my gun print.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by alexva696 View Post
    Hey anyone have any tips on carrying concealed comfortably without printing or accidentally exposing the gun? I have a taurus millennium pt111 and a IWH.
    Im about 6ft 160 lbs. i wear a size 32 but went out and got size 34 pants so that they could be a little loose for the IWH . and i wear Med sized t shirts. and right handed.

any tips on how to carry without wearing XL tshirts and super baggy pants?
    im not trying to look like a thug or different holsters?

so far i tried wearing around the house with it on my right hip and that seems most comfortable but its a little noticable.

my LTCF should be ready in another week or 2.
    What kind of iwb are you using? When you say on your hip, can you be more specific? (Using a clock reference, belt buckle 12, right hip 3, etc.)

Going a size or two up in pants wont really help for concealing, but it does help in comfort in my opinion. If you wear a medium shirt, try out wearing a large. Im willing to bet you wont notice too much of a difference in fitment, but it will give that extra little length.

Quote Originally Posted by Brudog View Post
    I struggled with this for a year trying different clothes and different holsters. I then came to two conclusions.

First if it shows slightly no one will notice and it is still legal in PA anyway.

Second I went to an OWB holster by Ryan Grizzle, The Georgia Snap, because it was extremely comfortable and still very concealable. Google him. I carry an XD 45 Compact. I am 5'11" and 250 lbs. I can wear a light t-shirt with jeans and you still can not see my gun print.
    Im 5'10" and 160, i edc a xd45 compact in a crossbreed supertuck, and i can conceal just fine with a tshirt and jeans as well.

(Pike County)

I think Massad Ayoob said, that you have to dress around your gun, and not the opposite. That's the bottom line. Also, working out helps. My shoulders size is 50 and waist is about 36 for the dress pants (34 for the jeans). Most of my suits were not altered perfectly, so being abt 42 or so around the area in question they help me conseal my Serpa and spare mags without any problem whatsoever.
    Je suis déplorable

(Beaver County)

You can always use a cover garment as well, although I realize not everyone wants to wear two shirts when it gets nice out. 4 o'clock might help a bit too, 3 puts it right on the outside of your hip bone, 4 can put it behind the bone and angle your grip "in" closer to your 6.

(Bucks County)

I wear loose shirts over an IWB holster with both a G26 and a G30. I could easily wear a large shirt but opt for extra large for comfort and also to easier carry without printing. I wear the holster at the 5:00 position which is where I am comfortable with it. In the winter I sometime use a regular holster under a sweatshirt or parka, but that holster is more likely to print under lighter warm weather shirts.

(Lancaster County)

(repost of mine)

MTAC/King Tuck/Crossbreed/Kholster - whichever flavor you like it. I liked the customizing I could do w/ the Kholster and the lower $.

Suggestions: (a) put velcro clips on the IWB holster and velcro on inner belt
    (b) blouse your shirts a bit to cover the top edge of the IBW clips and make the clips harder to see.
    (c) carry a cell phone holster on belt at IWB location.

Advantages:
    1. can't see the gun/holster bulge - cell phone clip is just slightly behind the bulge - so no divit of gun/holster visible
    2. lets people assume they hit the cell phone when they hit the gun. A few weeks ago, a woman walked into my hip area from behind while I was waiting in line with her elbow and hit my 1911 hard. I turned feigning my cell phone was dislodged. She had a puzzled look on her face and kept trying to stare at my hip while I fiddled w/ the cell phone. Then her face showed she suddenly latched on the idea that the 36oz steel thing she hit near my hip must have been that puny cell phone. The cell phone was a convenient excuse for her mind.
    4. Cell phone rather than gun bangs off things- doorways, chairs, ect, as it protrudes off the body. Nylon/plastic are quieter than metal hitting things.

IWB clips - I have Kholster metal clips - I cut off the outer bends and added 3M velcro glue on strips to them and my belts - just like v-clips. They conceal much better. BTW: put the soft velcro (loops) on the belt and hooks on the clips - much easier when threading your belt and prevents wear on your shirts/pants.

I also wear tall shirts - so no more shirt pulling out of the waistline while sitting/bending. Check out Duluth Trading for great very thick HD dark colored cotton shirts. Thinner material shirts print easier.

P.S. As time goes by, you will be more relaxed and less worried about printing. Few, but for LEOs and other CCWs, notice anyway. In the beginning, your body language, rather than printing, is more likely to give you away - checking for its position w/ your elbow, blading your body offering weak side to everyone, readjusting the shirt, acting nervous, ect.
    Last edited by KMAG; April 18th, 2012 at 08:39 PM.
    Why do people fearing guns call persons with guns (cops) when threatened?

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by JesterPgh View Post
    You can always use a cover garment as well, although I realize not everyone wants to wear two shirts when it gets nice out.
    I bought over a dozen hawaian shirts in Walmart couple of years ago (they were on sale, dollar each). That's how I conceal during the summer with t-shirt or wifebeater underneath.
    Je suis déplorable

(Philadelphia County)

its just a regular black padded ebay holster, and i tried it at 3 oclock, i also tried 4 oclock and that was pretty comfortable too but kinda looks funny from behind or when i bend over. i will definatly get a better holster once i actually get my ltcf.

(Philadelphia County)

I work at a computer/ cell phone shop and i bend over alot to reach into display case for phone and may have to reach a high shelf to grab a part, lets say my shirt comes up and the butt of my gun is exposed... would i just wear a bigger shirt? or does it matter if im at work?

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast