Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Groundhog

(Butler County)

Default Groundhog

Looking for a new place to do some hog hunting. The farm I used to hunt hogs all day long on is now turning into a housing community.
    I live in Sarver, PA. If anyone has any info. or would like to get a group hunt going, please send me a message.
    Thanks.

(P.S.) Their are already 4 of us that already go when we can find time to get together.

Default Re: Groundhog

I just spotted a 15 pounder out back. Too bad we can't hunt them in suburbia. He's living under my neighbor's shed.
    Honey, sell my guns for what they're worth and not what I told you I paid for them.

(Delaware County)

I know I am OCD or worse but I bought a scale, digital / fish, to weigh the g'hogs. Some have been huge and seemingly light for the size while others felt like a mountain.

best regards,
    chalmitch
    "If you believe the term "militia" means the National Guard then you must believe that freedom of speech is reserved for the Government Printing Office." - Some guy, 2/2007

(Lebanon County)

Gunner:

Been hunting chucks for 60 years.

I have dairy farms all around me.

The approach to the property owner is the key. Knock on doors----Give him / her a short resume about your hunting skills, stressing safety.

He / She (prop owner) will make the rules, not you. Follow them to a T and they will be happy to have you hunt the chucks.

Parking & property lines are paramount----Make sure you know exactly your boundaries.

GOOD LUCK
    fossil
    Last edited by ImAfossil; April 19th, 2012 at 08:00 PM. Reason: fix
    Do the eyes go first ?????? MAYBE NOT !

(Lebanon County)

Default Add On

Gunner: Now that I am awake. I have an addition.

Everybody, please do not interpret this as paid hunting. I DO NOT advocate Pay to Hunt.

After I firm up my relationship with the Farmer, I give them a $10 gift certificate to Lowe's, Tractor Supply, etc. for the privilege of using their property.

This is totally my call, not the Farmer. They never asked for much ; "Just Follow these rules" Pretty easy for me. Normally I come back with; "If you think I am wandering off the track, just let me know and you will receive an immediate fix on any potential problem".

These hard working people always need a tool, hardware, etc. The $10 is not a big hit on our fixed income, but it firms up super relationships. Like the original 3 farms I hunt---Hunting them now for 8 years, plus an additional 3 farms in the bag----Your name will get around if you do it right.

One property owner wanted to pay me to control his chuck population. I was very courteous and simply looked him in the eye and said firmly, 'NO THANK YOU' ! !

Keeping things simple and clear really work.
    fossil
    Do the eyes go first ?????? MAYBE NOT !

(Lancaster County)

my old favorite spot gave up ghost 2 years ago. so i had to find a new place, i moved before i got a new one where i was. now i got a field out back i can glance out a window at to see when theyre out and about and off i go.

all i did was ask "mind if i hunt some groundhogs out in the fields for you" his reply was "only if you get every one you see, lol, have fun. property ends here, here and here." ive tried my damndest to keep up my part of the deal and hes spread word and ive knocked on more doors since then and right now i can walk out in the morning and not come back all day hitting the fields i have access to and not get to them all. prolly 4 mile radius around my house and two a little further that its just easier to drive to.

so what im saying is, go beat on some doors, be polite, state your business, be polite, i find talking to the farmers like their your grandparents and being polite works better than going at it like your asking for them to just give you something. most important part is have fun when you get permission and get em all!

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by joseywales View Post
    I just spotted a 15 pounder out back. Too bad we can't hunt them in suburbia. He's living under my neighbor's shed.
    hide on the shed roof with a ka-bar. you could have him pinned the dirt before he knew what was going on

(Butler County)

its not the problem of farmers not letting me hunt on their grounds the problem is that alot of other people do as well and im not one to mess someones day of hunting up which is the reason why im looking for new places that other people have already gone and know its a good place for hogs.

(Lancaster County)

ahh. cant help there im about 150 miles away from there. sorry

Allegheny County, Robinson Twnshp, Pennsylvania
    (Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by nateebobo View Post
    my old favorite spot gave up ghost 2 years ago. so i had to find a new place, i moved before i got a new one where i was. now i got a field out back i can glance out a window at to see when theyre out and about and off i go.

all i did was ask "mind if i hunt some groundhogs out in the fields for you" his reply was "only if you get every one you see, lol, have fun. property ends here, here and here." ive tried my damndest to keep up my part of the deal and hes spread word and ive knocked on more doors since then and right now i can walk out in the morning and not come back all day hitting the fields i have access to and not get to them all. prolly 4 mile radius around my house and two a little further that its just easier to drive to.

so what im saying is, go beat on some doors, be polite, state your business, be polite, i find talking to the farmers like their your grandparents and being polite works better than going at it like your asking for them to just give you something. most important part is have fun when you get permission and get em all!
    This!

Finding permission to hunt deer is getting more and more difficult, but farmers generally do not like groundhogs, and are happy to have someone knock them off. The same thing is often the case with predators and even turkey.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast