Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Police training

(Wyoming County)

Default Re: Police training

So what you are saying is that they should stay away from the range because their dept. won't foot the bill or that they should at least go to the range and critique each other and work at their skills.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by capitolcop View Post
    So what you are saying is that they should stay away from the range because their dept. won't foot the bill or that they should at least go to the range and critique each other and work at their skills.
    Nooooooo.... I would rather someone plink rather than do nothing at all. SOME people might be able to increase their competency to a high degree by shooting on their own. But shooting is just like karate or any other discipline. You can only take your training so far without assistance.

The first time I ever shot a handgun was in the academy. I worked for a department that only shot once a year. I spent THOUSANDS on bullets and range time at the indoor range in Montgomeryville. I was only able to take my shooting abilities so far on my own.

Skip forward 18 years.... I got lucky to work with some kick ass firearms instructors. I even got to spend a week at Backwater. I was through that quality training able to take my skills to a level far beyond what I would have ever been able to do myself.

If everyone I worked with was like me that would be awesome.... but they arn't.

A few years ago I was out at Targetmaster, and they were training some ACT239 or LEO candidates. I got to watch them through the window. It was truly an eye opener. A lot of targets went home safe that night. I was firing my .44 mag (in the avatar) and turned around to see a group of about 5 staring though the window back at me. They probably heard the .44 mag knocking on the window. I Usually ask for that lane because I don't want the noise to put people off.
    I had the target out I think at 20 yds. I brought it back in and put the target over my center of mass, 6 rounds you could cover with your open hand. I grinned at them. You should have seen their eyes, one guy said something and all nodded their heads. I think he might have said "Remind me not to get into a gunfight with that long haired hippy"
    Derrion Albert was my Hero.

(York County)

Here is a revelant case that I used as a Department Firearms Instructor,
    and a M.P.O.T.E.C. Firearms Instructor, Act 120, at a Community College.
    "Department Liability for Failure To Train":
    Civ. A. No. 78-1536
    UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT FOR THE DISTRICT OF NEW JERSEY
    476 F. Supp. 1237; 1979 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 10078
    Rosemary Popow, as General Administratrix and Administratrix ad Prosequendum of the Estate of Darwin Powpow, deceased, and
    Rosemary Popow, individually, Plantiffs, v. City of Margate, a municipal
    corporation, and George Biagi, Defendants.
    (Civil Rights action under 42 U.S.C. @ 1983).
    This case was used by many Instructors to upgrade firearms training, rules,
    regulations, etc. for their departments to reduce liability issues, and improve
    officers training.
    FUNDAMENTALS

"All that is needed for Evil to Prevail is for Good Men to
    do Nothing"

(Clarion County)

I have a nephew that's 33 years old now and is an LEO in Oklahoma. I weened that boy .I took him backpacking when he 4 , Take my word for it , don't do it . I never worked so hard in my life. It was my own stupidity. End of fall , weather between sleat , rain and snow (VERY DUMB). I spent 24-7 getting fire wood food and keeping him warm and feeding him.
    We made the best out of a bad thing . Every time we hiked somewhere to show him something very special , I had to stick on top of pack to make it back.
    That boy never forgot one detail of the whole trip. He's an out door junkie and I'm proud to say I helped.
    He's one hell of a shot , cause we still shoot when we get together.He's comeing home in a week so we'll be doing some shooting if I am able but I'm
    glad he's my nephew cause I sure wouldn't want to mess with that man in the wrong way. I don't know what training they all do but he is one big healthy deadly dude so I asume they go through so rigorous training.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Metz View Post
    That's ridiculous!!! How do they justify it?
    I think that's stupid too! If an officer wants to pay for additional training out of his own pocket, let him!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234