Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Police training

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Police training

Thanks for the input UJ. Sounds like PSP has some quality training and a leg to stand on when making the ” they are trained professionals” argument. My point was exactly that, police are just like civilians.

(Perry County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    There are some supplemental training that officers can take, with highly specialized targets.

Being a firearms instructor for PSP allowed me some flexibility to enhance the training of the Troops. I used to pick up guinea pigs before a range session. I taught my people that if they could nail a guinea pig at 10 yards, there wasn't a dog alive they couldn't take down.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch10mm View Post
    My point was exactly that, police are just like civilians.
    Nope. The vast majority of gun owners recognize the importance of firearms training and put waaaaay more than 40 hr into it between formal training and regular range trips. While an average cop treats it merely as a day job nowadays, with attitude bottom lined in the Office Space: work just hard enough not to get fired. It's a fact, that 90% of PA cops don't do any additional firearms training aside from their annual tests.

I'd say about 5% of cops are very good marksmen (many of them were trained at Quantico, that has an excellent firearm training program), but it is unlikely, that those particular people will be on the streets, patrolling your neighborhood.
    Je suis déplorable

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Metz View Post
    Nope. The vast majority of gun owners recognize the importance of firearms training and put waaaaay more than 40 hr into it between formal training and regular range trips. While an average cop treats it merely as a day job nowadays, with attitude bottom lined in the Office Space: work just hard enough not to get fired. It's a fact, that 90% of PA cops don't do any additional firearms training aside from their annual tests.

I'd say about 5% of cops are very good marksmen (many of them were trained at Quantico, that has an excellent firearm training program), but it is unlikely, that those particular people will be on the streets, patrolling your neighborhood.
    You mean that your average cop cannot shoot a south african bad guy from 75yards with a 3.5" .38 and hit right between the eyes? Damn, I'm tired of TV lying to me.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Lehigh County)

During my time in the Army National Guard, I've been the NCOIC (the guy in charge) of more ranges than I can count. Of all the pistol ranges I've run:

1) The only person I've had removed from the range for safety violations was a PPD officer.

2) The Soldiers who required the most rounds/chances to qualify with the M9 were also LEOs of some sort. I was shocked at how many failed to re-qualify on the first attempt.

3) The only Soldier who shot the bench/table was a LEO. (in Northampton County)

I too know quite a few LEOs/former LEOs and only 2 are gun/shooting enthusiasts.
    When you are called a racist, it just means you won an argument with an Obama supporter.

When I went throught the Police Academy in Georgia, we spent 4 hours of classroom instruction prior to a week of range time. We spent 32 hours on the range shooting pistols. Keep in mind, there are only so many lanes to shoot so not everyone is shooting at once. Each student shot 500 rounds of ammo during the week of range time. The last four hours on Friday range week we spent on shotgun familairization. Meaning, each student shot five rounds of 12 gauge. That was it. I do not recall any night time shooting. We did not do any scenario or stress shooting. At the time, Georgia State Law only required one life time weapons qualification and that was at the police academy. I do believe it has changed but I'm not sure. I will say most insurance companies require at least a yearly qualification.

As with anything a company or government agency does or doesn't do, it's usually tied to money and hence, training. The training budget is left up to the administrators who run the various police departments in any given state. One agency might have a very forward thinking Chief and therefore, the officer's recieve significant training. Other departments training budgets might consist of the minimun required by State law to keep their certification and any training outside of this, is paid for by the officer, grants, or get it free. Nothing is equal in the world, especially about law enforcement and training.

For example, when I went throught the Academy in Georgia, the minimun required number of training hours was equal to eight (8) weeks. Thats right ladies and gentlemen, I went through a police academy in 1994 that was only 8 weeks long. Prior to my class, it was only six weeks in duration. In 1994, PA State Police academy was 26 weeks and local academy was like 16 or 18.
    Even today, Georgia's academy is 12 weeks while PA is much longer.
    So, what did PA cops learn that I didn't? I don't know but I will say I definately felt I was not trained and left to the dogs to figure it all out.

Hope this helps with some background information.

CL

(Lancaster County)

There was a TV show, I think it was called Rookies, that followed Georgia trainees. I felt bad for them because they seemed, as you said, just thrown into the job. The veteran officers seemed to have no patience or understanding but I guess it's how they came up and now it was the new guy turn.
    Instead of entitlement programs the money should be spent for ongoing training of our police and firemen. All facets.

(Perry County)

I think location plays a very big part in this discussion. I'm sure that very few Philly cops are gun people. Growing up in the area would make it much less common.

A lot of us here in the backwoods of PA are gun people. I would put the number of people I've worked with at 25% to 30%. A lot more of the people were very firearms proficient but weren't gun enthusiasts.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

(Wyoming County)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^This

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by unclejumbo View Post
    I think location plays a very big part in this discussion. I'm sure that very few Philly cops are gun people. Growing up in the area would make it much less common.

A lot of us here in the backwoods of PA are gun people. I would put the number of people I've worked with at 25% to 30%. A lot more of the people were very firearms proficient but weren't gun enthusiasts.
    Quite a few of us on PAFOA are from Philadelphia. Not saying that translates directly to LEO percentages or anything, but even if we have a smaller per capita amount of gun enthusiasts than other parts of Pa, 5% Gun Enthusiasts of 2 million persons is still a larger number than 50% Gun Enthusiasts of 50,000 persons.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast