Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Re: Pistol-How far and how accurate ?

USPSA target at 50 yards..

With the G35 and warren tactical sight

18 shots
    4-A
    10-C
    3-D
    1-Miss

With G21SF, match barrel, Trijicon HD nightsights

18 shots
    6-A
    7-C
    4-D
    1-miss

Although score wise, I hit better with the G21.. I had a better grouping with the G35.. Those trijicon sights took up the entire width of the target at 50 yards..
    The problem with shooting Chinese bullets is 15 minutes later you wanna shoot again.

Allegheny County, Robinson Twnshp, Pennsylvania
    (Allegheny County)

I do 80% of my shooting baricaded from 25 yards.
    The other 20% is almost completely practice with flashlight holds from 20 feet.

The main reason for that is because I do most of my shooting at a PGC range, where my choices for distant are limited. I find that my shooting at 15 yards and 20 feet is fine, and improves as my accuracy at 25 yards does, hence the focus at 25.

That being said, if I had a range I could use in a dynamic nature I would be practicing everything and anything I could think of. Shooting from in between the open door and the A frame of a vehicle, shooting while moving laterally, shooting while moving front and back, shooting prone, shooting at night, multiple target set-ups ect.

Shoot as dynamically as your range allows. If, like me, you are stuck on a line at only a few distances, then do malfunction drills, baricaded shooting, flashlight holds, double-taps, body armor drills etc.

If you have access to a range that allows you to get more creative, DO SO, safely of course! Expand your practice to fit the resource you have available.

I practice from up against a target to 100 yards, mostly 7-15 yards since that's where the majority of my competition ranges are. When I can, I shoot clay birds at 50 yards (usually 75% accuracy with a 1911). This makes an 8" plate at 7 yards look like the side of a barn.

(Bucks County)

I practice most between 7 to 15 yards. Accuracy depends on how fast I'm trying to shoot.

Every range trip, no matter what I went to work on, I shoot at least a few times to 25 yards since the club placed a steel plate out there and its simply too fun to pass up.

(Lebanon County)

Ty for all the replies. I have been shooting at distances that i felt were a "self defense" range. I think practice at longer distance targets would be fun and a good way to improve my skill set. Unfortunately my club has no steel and back stops are set at 25,50 and 100 yds. On the upside there is rarely anyone there when I go so I can usually set up at any distance I care to shoot.
    Barricades would certainly be a blast to practice with but as previously stated, not available at my club.
    /bug

Quote Originally Posted by steviesterno View Post
    I practice from up against a target to 100 yards, mostly 7-15 yards since that's where the majority of my competition ranges are. When I can, I shoot clay birds at 50 yards (usually 75% accuracy with a 1911). This makes an 8" plate at 7 yards look like the side of a barn.
    100 yard pistol, I know your good Steve but come on.... I practice for self defense and USPSA so i keep all my shooting to 3 to 25 yards but mostly around 15 yards. One other thing you have to look at is speed vs accuracy. I would rather have a 3 in group in 2seconds than a 1in group at 4 seconds. If i have to go past 25yds out comes my AR or FAL.
    Tantric Shooting Team

Haha thanks jay. I do SOME work at 100 yards mostly because it makes me really remember sight picture, trigger control and breathing. It takes forever to make a shot like that, but gives you some confidence to take a breath and shoot for the A zone at 20 yards.

And come on, I watch you double tap A zone head shots at 25 yards all day....

Quote Originally Posted by Bugman916 View Post
    You've piqued my interest. What are u thinking ?
    ill include an attachment of a pdf i found online some time ago but if you google army pistol team and m9 upgrades im sure you can find more info.

i have never tried any of these mods but found it interesting just the same

http://www.gun-tests.com/performance...ootbetter.html
    Attached Files Attached Files
    To err is human, to be prepared divine

(Cambria County)

Way I see it, if you're carrying a pistol for self defense, you most likely going to be shooting it at a target within 5 yards. So most of my shooting is rather up close and as rapidly as I can fire and still hit what I'm shooting at.

But there is always the "what if" factor. What if your target is shooting a long gun at you, and all you have is a pistol. Maybe your target is hurting someone that you love and it is a long way off from where you are and you won't be able to get there in time to stop it, so your only chance is a long shot. At this time (god forbid cause your really up sh*t creek about now) it would be nice to have at least practiced some longer range shooting.

Even if your aren't that good at it, it sure can't hurt to shoot long distances to find out just how accurately you can shoot and at what distances. Not to mention that it can just be a lot of fun challenging a buddy to a long range shoot off with pistols.
    The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control....
    The day they want my guns, they'll have to bring theirs!!!
    Proud to be One of the 3%

(Allegheny County)

I do a majority of my accuracy work at 25 yards both timed and slow fire on the NRA 25 yard bullseye target. For me if I can shoot 90/100 slow fire Im within my minimum standard , but I generally shoot into the 180/200 on cold skills tests like The "200" .

Saying "I only shoot at 5 yards since most encounters are at 5 yards" is bullshit. If your betting your life on a 5 yard encounter your better off practicing h2h and taking some real fighting classes than practicing with a handgun. Inside 5 yards if your first instinct is to draw your getting KTFO. And the point of practicing accuracy at range isnt because I expect to make head shots at 25 , its because evry other shot becomes easy by comparison and once the fundamentals of making the tough shots are ingrained hard we can do like Lycan says and generalize skillsets.
    I guarantee you the guy who can shoot them all the black on timed fire at 25 isnt putting rounds out of the A zone at 5 , but the guy whos standard is big and close usually falls apart moving as fast as possible or when any distance or difficulty is added to the shot (partially obscured , movers, off angles, distance, hostage type shots , no shoots ) .

I ran Kyle Defoors Pistol Test #3 this past weekend, and shot all A's under PAR . Im happy with that any day.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast