Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Seventy Thousand Seven Hundred Forty

The announced attendance at the NRA annual meeting in St. Louis, Missouri.
    A new record.

Huge increase in woman attendees, and the merchants were very happy!
    NRA Training Counselor, Chief Range Safety Officer, NRA Benefactor Member

Default Re: Seventy Thousand Seven Hundred Forty

I'm glad to hear that there are more women. I'm also noticing far more younger folk getting into shooting.

I've said this elsewhere -- All those TV shows about shooting competitions (like the 3 or more that I see on the History Channel) are really good for the gun community. I have gotten at least 15 new shooters to the trap range in the past 5 months -- I think that is a HUGE win.

Guns are the boogie-man that they were in the 90s.

(Cumberland County)

Cool Re: Seventy Thousand Seven Hundred Forty

was there and loved it. and yes i did notice a marked increase in female attendance. btw thank you ladies you do add a touch of beauty to an already fun event. the town was crazy busy this weekend as the cards were playing as well as the blues not to mention a marathon scheduled for sat. that got rained out and to top it off all the nra participants. wooo hooo what a blast.

(Dauphin County)

What did the exit polls say? Was there a marked increase in the number in attendees who believe in liberty? Otherwise, celebrating an NRA maxout is like celebrating a CeasefirePA, Violence Policy Center, Brady Center, or Pennsylvania Peace Society new record.

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by MDJschool View Post
    What did the exit polls say? Was there a marked increase in the number in attendees who believe in liberty? Otherwise, celebrating an NRA maxout is like celebrating a CeasefirePA, Violence Policy Center, Brady Center, or Pennsylvania Peace Society new record.
    The OP's sig says that gun control is not about guns, it is about control.

Unfortunately, the same can be said of the most powerful 'pro-gun' organizations. Fighting gun control is more about control than guns.

They claim to need the 'control' in order to make things better, when all we really need is an effort to fight 'control' in general. It is the same argument on both sides, and we consistently end up with the same result... Less liberty.

The only forces that are really pro-gun are the forces that are really pro-liberty. Resist control, even if it is control that seems to support your immediate goals... Liberty matters.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Carnes View Post
    The OP's sig says that gun control is not about guns, it is about control.

Unfortunately, the same can be said of the most powerful 'pro-gun' organizations. Fighting gun control is more about control than guns.

They claim to need the 'control' in order to make things better, when all we really need is an effort to fight 'control' in general. It is the same argument on both sides, and we consistently end up with the same result... Less liberty.

The only forces that are really pro-gun are the forces that are really pro-liberty. Resist control, even if it is control that seems to support your immediate goals... Liberty matters.
    Interesting response.

It is the politicians that pass laws. Those politicians, most of which are lawyers, are mostly calculating scum bags IMHO. To balance out the count of law passing, nanny creating, politicians people gather together and create a protection association of their particular belief system. In this case the NRA for protection of the 2nd Amendment. (You might argue liberty proceeds that need?)
    I like to think of liberty as a process, it is a tide that ebbs and flows. Some people handle their liberty better than others, many people in the same room have a different definition of what liberty means to them. I would bet that my 24 year old sons definition of liberty is different than my old one.

In your world, there is no Masons? No Knights of Columbus? No religious respect? Only liberty? So when Moses came down from the mountain, those were not controls he was carrying?

I would like to delve deeper into definition of liberty, as it seems to me that some limited "basic" control is always needed. Who get's to decide that control in your world?

I am not arguing, just inquiring from a inquisitive methodology.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by MDJschool View Post
    An increase in attendance and membership allows for folks to get a better education. The NRA does many, many things. I added their splash from the Membership page below.

"The NRA is you -- its members ... millions of Americans representing a diverse contrast of age, sex, race and religion. You're patriots one and all. You believe in the Constitution, staunch in the defense of your rights, and you actively pursue some of this country's finest traditions - Hunting and Sports Shooting. Since its incorporation in 1871, the NRA has grown as a service organization involved in all aspects of the shooting sports and a proud defender of the Bill of Rights."

They do not mention liberty here, they mention what they are designed to do, as in "defender of the Bill of Rights"!

Also, having 74,000 people come to a annual event is nothing like a max out of any of those anti gun groups you listed, as they don't have that total number of members combined, nor do they have any annual event. I'm not sure what you are trying to say. Getting more people to hear about what the NRA is doing, and continuing to build on where we want it to go, is paramount to it's success!

(Bucks County)

For those who weren't around in the 60's and 70's, let's have a refresher and give credit where credit is due.

After the RFK & MLK murders in 1968, gun control forces were in full out assault on gun owners. The level of pressure then makes today's Bradyites look like children. Thus the Gun Control act of 1968. We were damn lucky not to have a complete ban. I remember those days all too well.

Lucky? Thanks to the NRA. With all it's warts, they have been the stalwart that have held the Libs at bay. Without them the word gun wouldn't even be in the dictionary.

And this with only 4-5 Million members out of well over 100 million plus gun owners !! Where is everybody?? Now if only 50% were members that would be a force to be reckoned with, both for the antigunners and the internal NRA itself.
    Its easier to fool people than to convince them they've been fooled....Mark Twain

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by Dannytheman View Post
    I would like to delve deeper into definition of liberty, as it seems to me that some limited "basic" control is always needed. Who get's to decide that control in your world?

I am not arguing, just inquiring from a inquisitive methodology.
    The short and sweet definition of liberty is respect for my ability to do what ever I want to do so long as whatever I am doing is not interfering with your ability to do whatever you want to do. In other words, my rights end where your rights begin.

Yes, some "basic" control is always needed. Liberty is a social construct, and as such depends on the existence of a society to provide justice for violations of liberty. Our government was created as an entity designed to have just enough power to ensure liberty and provide justice without running an unacceptable risk of becoming tyrannical.

There were strict limits on what kinds of things the government could do in order to prevent if from reaching an undesirable end state. Sorta how individuals limit themselves to prevent certain results. For example, watching what you eat in order to avoid getting fat. If you limit your ability to consume excessive calories, you won't get fat. However, if you find excuses, loopholes, justifications and other reasons to eat a little extra here, and cheat a little there... Next thing you know you will look in the mirror and see a big tub o lard.

Our government was created under the pretense of a very strict 'diet.' Though the years varying competing interest groups have found it justified to cheat on the governments diet in order to serve their purpose. Well, the government is morbidly obese and the NRA just wants to feed it another cookie.

I think it is time to put the government back on a diet, but most people don't seem to like the implications of that idea because diets are hard work, and it is easier just to throw some cookies at your problems.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Carnes View Post
    The short and sweet definition of liberty is respect for my ability to do what ever I want to do so long as whatever I am doing is not interfering with your ability to do whatever you want to do. In other words, my rights end where your rights begin.

Yes, some "basic" control is always needed. Liberty is a social construct, and as such depends on the existence of a society to provide justice for violations of liberty. Our government was created as an entity designed to have just enough power to ensure liberty and provide justice without running an unacceptable risk of becoming tyrannical.

There were strict limits on what kinds of things the government could do in order to prevent if from reaching an undesirable end state. Sorta how individuals limit themselves to prevent certain results. For example, watching what you eat in order to avoid getting fat. If you limit your ability to consume excessive calories, you won't get fat. However, if you find excuses, loopholes, justifications and other reasons to eat a little extra here, and cheat a little there... Next thing you know you will look in the mirror and see a big tub o lard.

Our government was created under the pretense of a very strict 'diet.' Though the years varying competing interest groups have found it justified to cheat on the governments diet in order to serve their purpose. Well, the government is morbidly obese and the NRA just wants to feed it another cookie.

I think it is time to put the government back on a diet, but most people don't seem to like the implications of that idea because diets are hard work, and it is easier just to throw some cookies at your problems.

The "diet" analogy you use is exceptionally good! Nice work, Carnes.

I tried to use the dope addict/alcoholic analogy recently but I am not quite as adept a writer as you are.

The morbidly obese government we now face is having cravings for a big stack of pancakes with whipped cream and plenty of syrup for breakfast, a super-sized happy meal for lunch, and a heaping helping of spuds with extra gravy on top of the double portion of meat and it also wants the triple banana split with the works piled high. It may kill her to cut it off cold turkey or she may die from a massive coronary arrest before morning.

There are no easy choices when the disease has been left to get this far out of control.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast