Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Indiana County)

Thumbs up Sporting Goods Discounters- Johnstown

I finally found Sporting Goods Discounters, 1449 Scalp Ave, Giestown (Johnstown). They are hidden behind Big Lots in the Giant Eagle Plaza.

Anyhow, they are a store with a fairly large selection of outdoor spots equipment- baseball/softball soccer and a good gun and ammunition department which is well staffed.

The staff immediately greeted me as my wife and I entered. We snooped around a bit then started looking at guns. Price range from spot-on competitive to a little on the high side compared to the least expensive stores.
    The gentleman I dealt with was very helpful and showed me some pretty cool high-end stuff without having the typical "You can't handle it until you are serious about buying it" attitude prevalent in many shops.
    They have a good stock of Glocks and other modern semi-auto handguns and have the new Ruger LCR w/Laser.

Ended up buying a Legacy Citadel M1-22 for $20 less than Bud's Guns online price.

Definitely will be on my stop list when I hit The Galeria/Home Depot/ Harbor Freight. Plus it is near Em's Subs!!! Yummm.
    Last edited by 300plus; April 16th, 2012 at 07:52 AM.
    NRA PATRON LIFE MEMBER, GOA, SAF, PAFOA

Default Re: Sporting Goods Discounters- Johnstown

Yeah SGD is a good store, I wouldnt mind stopping in there again this summer and taking a look at their selection.

(Cambria County)

I've bought from them before, I will drive 75miles to Grices before I will go back. I tried to stay loyal, and gave them several chances. Even my 12 year old Son could pick up how rude they were. Their are several issues ive had with them. One was, when I was looking for flip up scope covers. The place was packed and I could tell they were busy so my son and I were looking around for them, no luck. I saw the owner Denny and asked if he had any. He stated yup sure do and turned and walked away, I followed asking him where they were and he just picked up a incoming call on his cell and ignored me. We left. On another trip, I asked him if he could order a barrel for my 1897, he stated he didn't know were to find one or if they were even being made. I told him that I had seen them on line, but the company was out of stock. He told me to find it on line and turned and walked away the same way that he did before. This is all after I had bought a Kahr from him and they lied about the purchase. I had put a used CW40 that had 2 mags, on lay away. When I came in to pick it up they stated that the CW40 only had one mag. I talked about the story of the previous owner who had used it for self defense and EDC in her store. They told me that I must have been confused....... I'm not confused about where I buy my guns now, I know that! Their shop is right down the road from me and I won't but a darn thing from them. Nothing
    These are the times that try men's souls: The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Thomas Paine 1776

(Somerset County)

This store is hit and miss with the customer service. Sometimes they treat me like a long lost friend and sometimes they just ignore me. I keep going back because I have got some good deals and most of the time they treat me good. I guess everybody has bad days. honestly some of thier prices are really good and they do have a good selection of used guns as well as glocks.