Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Thumbs down Another bad anthony arms experience. Help?

PROBLEM RESOLVED ON PAGE 3

Hey all. I'm a 21 yr old who is new to firearms and just bought my first pistol on friday april 13th from anthony arms. And boy do I regret it now. Many people told me to stay away from them, but surprisingly they had the best out the door price for what i wanted. Long story short, the total for the gun turned out to be $430. I paid 270 in cash and paid the rest with my credit card. BAD MOVE. The clerk verbally counted out my money, laid it out on the counter, then charged my credit card 270. Thats $530. I didnt notice the mistake until i was home and checked my account balance. When i called the store and explained the issue to the man on the phone, he told me to call back tomorrow as they were closing in 5 mins. I told him I would be in when they open the store the following morning. On saturday, i went to the store with the receipt from anthony arms, my credit reciept, and my bill of sale. As anticipated, the clerk (who by the way was the same gentleman who sold me the pistol) and a man by the name of Bruce (manager) assured me that they counted the resgisters the night before and were "dead on". Not a penny over or under. They then took both my anthony arms reciept and my credit slip and went in the back for a few minutes. Bruce came back out and told me all he could do was run an audit of allthe transactions the day before and see if there was another mistake that was overlapping mine. He explained that this would take a day or two. I then wanted to show the sales clerk that my receipts were off by 20 cents and they couldnt be dead on, but mysteriously they were then unable to remember what they did with my credit reciept. The fact is THEY TOOK $100 FROM ME AND COULD NOT HAVE THE DECENCY TO BE HONEST WITH ME AFTER THE FACT. I am not the kind of person to call someone a theif, but considering the circumstances and reputation of the store I think I have a pretty good idea what happened to my $100.

With all that being said, does anyone have any advice as to what further action I can persue to get my $100 back? I understand the man may have made on honest mistake and mis-counted my cash, but if that was the case they would be over $100 on that register at the end of the night, pending he didn't do what I think he did. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thank you.
    Last edited by rebel412; April 19th, 2012 at 01:27 AM. Reason: Problem Resolved

(York County)

Default Re: Another bad anthony arms experience. Help?

Until someone pipes in - you should contact your Credit Card Company and explain the problem. They can in turn freeze the transaction until a solution is found.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by rebel412 View Post
    Hey all. I'm a 21 yr old who is new to firearms and just bought my first pistol on friday april 13th from anthony arms. And boy do I regret it now. Many people told me to stay away from them, but surprisingly they had the best out the door price for what i wanted. Long story short, the total for the gun turned out to be $430. I paid 270 in cash and paid the rest with my credit card. BAD MOVE. The clerk verbally counted out my money, laid it out on the counter, then charged my credit card 270. Thats $530. I didnt notice the mistake until i was home and checked my account balance. When i called the store and explained the issue to the man on the phone, he told me to call back tomorrow as they were closing in 5 mins. I told him I would be in when they open the store the following morning. On saturday, i went to the store with the receipt from anthony arms, my credit reciept, and my bill of sale. As anticipated, the clerk (who by the way was the same gentleman who sold me the pistol) and a man by the name of Bruce (manager) assured me that they counted the resgisters the night before and were "dead on". Not a penny over or under. They then took both my anthony arms reciept and my credit slip and went in the back for a few minutes. Bruce came back out and told me all he could do was run an audit of allthe transactions the day before and see if there was another mistake that was overlapping mine. He explained that this would take a day or two. I then wanted to show the sales clerk that my receipts were off by 20 cents and they couldnt be dead on, but mysteriously they were then unable to remember what they did with my credit reciept. The fact is THEY TOOK $100 FROM ME AND COULD NOT HAVE THE DECENCY TO BE HONEST WITH ME AFTER THE FACT. I am not the kind of person to call someone a theif, but considering the circumstances and reputation of the store I think I have a pretty good idea what happened to my $100.

With all that being said, does anyone have any advice as to what further action I can persue to get my $100 back? I understand the man may have made on honest mistake and mis-counted my cash, but if that was the case they would be over $100 on that register at the end of the night, pending he didn't do what I think he did. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thank you.
    Two things here...

First... you signed off on the credit card transaction... you need to be a bit more careful about that, sometimes companies will try to screw you over and sometimes they just have a cashier that doesn't know what they are doing...

Second... that doesn't give Anthony Arms a license to steal. Do you have a receipt for the cash part of the transaction? File a dispute with your credit card company for the full amount. They should hold up the funds and investigate. Hopefully you have receipts.

(Bucks County)

Me personally I would give them the benefit of the doubt and give them a couple days. Past that I would file a dispute with my CC company and file a dispute with the BBB.

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by vpnavy View Post
    Until someone pipes in - you should contact your Credit Card Company and explain the problem. They can in turn freeze the transaction until a solution is found.
    Bad idea. I believe that might force the vendor in question to contact the ATF, that will be happy to jump on the "stolen gun" (the gun left the store, the payment hasn't been received in full) case.
    Je suis déplorable

(Lehigh County)

I see no problem disputing the claim if you were over charged and they do not resolve the issue in the time frame the manager stated. I think it is proper to give them the time to double check their end and a day or two is reasonable time frame.

(Chester County)

lol, it was on friday the 13th

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by wizardofgore View Post
    I see no problem disputing the claim if you were over charged and they do not resolve the issue in the time frame the manager stated.
    Can you actually dispute the balance, or do you have to dispute the whole transaction? Because in the latter the vendor is likely to file a stolen gun claim with the ATF (just to make your life a little more exciting). I don't know about you, but I don't want to find myslef on the receiving end of an ATF stolen firearm investigation.
    Je suis déplorable

(Allegheny County)

Thank you all for the responses. I am not putting the transaction on hold. The whole issue here is that on my reciept it says I only paid $170 in cash. I gave the cashier 1 one hundred dollar bill, 8 twenty dollar bills, 1 five dollar bill, and 5 one dollar bills. After he recieved the cash he told me my remaining balance was $160. But must have charged me $260 instead. Basically it is my word against their's because we're dealing with an issue of how much cash I gave them. I was just hoping they would be a little more helpful. I am being patient and waiting for them to contact me back and give me an update. If they don't give me back the cash they owe me, then oh well I guess I learned not to go there for anything again. Whether they do or not, first and last time customer and I will never step foot in the store again. Nothing but bad customer service and bad attitudes from the people behind the counter. Thanks all for the advice.

(Bucks County)

Sorry it happened to you just make sure if they try to not give your money back to file a complaint with the BBB and put up a couple bad google reviews. That really hurts business.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast