Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Moving To Denver, Need Advice On Transporting Guns There

I am moving to Denver, CO next month with my girlfriend. We are planning on driving from Pittsburgh to Denver over the course of 2 days with one overnight stay in a hotel along the way. We will be passing through the following states on our way to Denver:

Ohio
    Indiana
    Illinois
    Missouri
    Kansas

We are also bringing all of our guns and ammo with us to Denver. If all of our firearms are unloaded and in separate containers from our ammo, are we good to go? Or do the firearms need to be in a locked container, and the ammo in another locked container? I am a total newbie to the transportation of firearms outside of PA so I want to make sure I am in the clear.

Thanks in advance!

(Centre County)

Default Re: Moving To Denver, Need Advice On Transporting Guns There

If you are moving to a new residence then you are covered under federal law. As long as the guns are unloaded you will be fine. In this case (moving to a new place) you can make overnight stops and not be in violation of any law. The only thing you will want to insure is that all of your firearms are legal in CO.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Allegheny County)

I frequently drive from Pittsburgh to the Western Slope. I had all my guns with me in December. I seem to recall my friends telling me not to stop in Denver cause I had the AR-15 with me and I'm thinking they are not legal in Denver?

Oh and driving through Columbia Missouri, you may want to stop cause there are some gun stores and an Army surplus store. I've always wanted to stop but never time it right.

The link for Black Rifle LLC http://blackriflellc.com/

and the link for Army surpus store http://armygear.net/
    Last edited by glock19girl; April 16th, 2012 at 08:45 AM.
    I dislike the diamond commercials, give me something useful like guns, ammo or cookware.

(Centre County)

AR15's are legal in Denver, with exceptions (you can't have a magazine that holds over 20 rounds).

here are links for more info:

http://www.rmgo.org/gun-law-faqs

http://www.rmgo.org/gun-law-faqs/assault-weapons

That is horrible news about the 20 round capacity! I had no idea . Any idea if you can use preban 30 rounders? All my AK 74 mags are 30 rounds and very expensive.

(Centre County)

As far as I read, they made no grandfathering provisions for preban magazines, they just say nothing that holds more than 20 rounds is allowed.

However, I would maybe store your 30 rounders with a trusted friend until you can get out there and do more research to see exactly what the law says.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    AR15's are legal in Denver, with exceptions (you can't have a magazine that holds over 20 rounds).

here are links for more info:

http://www.rmgo.org/gun-law-faqs

http://www.rmgo.org/gun-law-faqs/assault-weapons
    I just have 30 round and 60 round mags , maybe that is why they told me avoid stopping in Denver.
    I dislike the diamond commercials, give me something useful like guns, ammo or cookware.

Question Re: Moving To Denver, Need Advice On Transporting Guns There

Okay, so there definitely is an assault weapons ban in Denver prohibiting any magazine over 20 rounds (with no grandfather clause). However, I think I may be okay. If you could, please confirm my reasoning below.

According to the Denver Assault Weapons Ban (Here):

--------------------

(b) Definitions. The following words and phrases, when used in this section, shall have these meanings respectively ascribed to them:

(1) Assault weapon shall include all firearms with any of the following characteristics:

a. All semiautomatic action, centerfire rifles with a detachable magazine with a capacity of twenty-one (21) or more rounds.
    b.All semiautomatic shotguns with a folding stock or a magazine capacity of more than six (6) rounds or both.
    c. Reserved.
    d. Any firearm which has been modified to be operable as an assault weapon as defined herein.
    e. Any part or combination of parts designed or intended to convert a firearm into an assault weapon, including a detachable magazine with a capacity of twenty-one (21) or more rounds, or any combination of parts from which an assault weapon may be readily assembled if those parts are in the possession or under the control of the same person...

--------------------

(e) Possession of assault weapons unlawful. It shall be unlawful to carry, store, keep, manufacture, sell or otherwise possess within the City and County of Denver a weapon or weapons defined herein as assault weapons, except that this subdivision shall not apply to:

--------------------
    So essentially, it is illegal to have a 30 round magazine within the county of Denver.

Well I looked up my address, and despite having a ...Denver, CO 80231 address; The actual property resides within Arapahoe County, which does not have any absurd restrictions on firearms.

The red dot is my house is Arapahoe County, the blue shaded area is Denver County.

So, from the information I just provided, do you guys think I'm in the clear to bring my 30 round "ASSAULT CLIPS!!!" to Colorado with me? (Obviously I need to make sure I stay out of Denver county with them in my possession.)

Quote Originally Posted by glock19girl View Post
    I just have 30 round and 60 round mags , maybe that is why they told me avoid stopping in Denver.
    60 rounds !

That's the capacity of two assault clips in one! Bringing one of those into Denver would probably get you the chair!

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Subverto View Post
    60 rounds !

That's the capacity of two assault clips in one! Bringing one of those into Denver would probably get you the chair!
    It looks like you are OK if you stay out of Denver with it.
    Yea I got the 60 round mag as a Christmas gift ( I know
    just what every woman wants )

I live with my Dad and the last time I drove out didn't have
    a safe. I didn't trust certain family members while I was gone.
    So I took it all with me in my Dodge Neon. It was probably the
    most heavily armed Neon on the road.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast