Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Broken M&P slide stop

Not sure how it happened but the slide stop on my M&P snapped off, has this happened to anyone else?

The pistol still functions fine as it has an ambi stop but I am going to call tomorrow and ask for a replacement part.

Last edited by LostinGermany; April 15th, 2012 at 02:43 PM.

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Broken M&P slide stop

F a replacement part! Is the gun pretty new? I would demand they send you a prepaid shipping label and fix it for you completely free of charge! Things aren't suppose to just break like that.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by redturbo0 View Post
    F a replacement part! Is the gun pretty new? I would demand they send you a prepaid shipping label and fix it for you completely free of charge! Things aren't suppose to just break like that.
    The pistol is two years old and I shoot every weekend. But I agree with you, this should not happen. Just posted pics.

Probably was a small defect from bending or heat treat that caused it to break prematurely. Get them to send you new one. If you shot the gun quite a bit a good detail strip and cleaning would be good anyway.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Probably was a small defect from bending or heat treat that caused it to break prematurely. Get them to send you new one. If you shot the gun quite a bit a good detail strip and cleaning would be good anyway.
    I was thinking the same thing since the break was so clean. I usually clean all my guns after each range trip and it will certainly get one before replacing the slide stop.

(Monroe County)

First time I've seen that happen. Do you use the slide stop lever as a way to drop the slide? May be adding stress to part if you do and it just failed. Or bad metal or heat treating/bending as mentioned. Call s&w. They should send out a free replacement or you can send the gun to them.
    Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets.

Parts break. I wouldn't worry about it too much and just see if they will replace it. For something like that I'de ask for the parts and install myself unless specialty tools are involved or the task is too complicated to handle yourself. To lose the gun for anytime or to eat the shipping costs, if they don't cover that, is just not worth it for a relatively minor problem.

(Montgomery County)

Smith and Wesson has a lifetime warranty for your M&P and they will do the work for you. The shipping is free and the most recent handgun I returned to the factory was back to me in two weeks.

Speaking of cleaning, here is a great idea take it to a place like Classic pistol. Last time I had them clean, inspect and lube a handgun it was 15 bucks. They use an ultrasonic cleaner (I think) and they do a fantastic job for the price. They are a class act shop and just a short drive from you.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_NEPhila View Post
    Speaking of cleaning, here is a great idea take it to a place like Classic pistol. Last time I had them clean, inspect and lube a handgun it was 15 bucks. They use an ultrasonic cleaner (I think) and they do a fantastic job for the price. They are a class act shop and just a short drive from you.

oddly enough, this is where the pistol broke. as well as the front sight on my kahr. strange karma, i suppose

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by rovert97 View Post
    First time I've seen that happen. Do you use the slide stop lever as a way to drop the slide? May be adding stress to part if you do and it just failed. Or bad metal or heat treating/bending as mentioned. Call s&w. They should send out a free replacement or you can send the gun to them.
    I typically pull the slide to chamber a round and did that at the range when it snapped off. Actually, I didn't notice it until my roommate picked up the gun to shoot it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast