Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Scolded by officer at the courthouse

This all happened at the Chester County courthouse.

So I showed up for my last day of jury duty today with my concealed XD45. I informed the officer at the metal detector that I had a pistol on me and needed to check it in so I could go into the courthouse.

He then told me that I shouldn't have brought it there because I'm serving as a juror (I had my sticker on identifying me as a juror). Then he told me I needed to go around to the other entrance to where the sheriff's office is to get a locker. As I collected my coat off the radar machine he told me not to "bring that here" again (refering to my gun). He said it a few times, and was not at all nice about it. I opened the door to leave that area and he yelled, for the whole line of people going into the courthouse, "You have a permit for that, right?", to which I said "yes, of course I do".

His attitude totally pissed me off. He was a real dick. He made me feel llike an ass in front of a few people I was serving with. I was going to ask to speak to the sheriff, but I left around lunchtime, so nobody was down there. Should I even bother trying to talk to her?

I'd love to know his reasoning for me not bringing it simply because I'm a juror. I can't think of one good reason why that matters. I didn't argue with him because I knew it would get me absolutely nowhere.

(Chester County)

Default Re: Scolded by officer at the courthouse

Talk to Welsh; she's consistently pro-gun, and she doesn't want her deputies acting like schmucks. Be polite, make sure you give the deputy's name, tell her you have a permit issued by her office, and be able to explain the proper procedure for checking a firearm at a courthouse and the statutory authority. Make sure she knows that you think she's doing a great job and that you know you're safe in the courthouse, but that you understand that your safety is your own responsibility outside the courthouse, so you must bring and check your weapon, even when on jury duty.

Again, be polite -- she's likely on your side, and the deputy's not allowed to act like a prick just because he doesn't like guns.

I guess I'm just lucky or something, but every time I go to court and check my gun they're the soul of politeness -- regardless of which courthouse it is. Then again, I'm usually in a suit, am obviously a lawyer, and reek of "hassling me is more trouble than it's worth."

Edit to add: You may not be able to speak to her directly. Don't leave a message with her assistant reciting the details, your complaint with get round-filed. If you can't reach her directly by phone, send a nice letter.
    Last edited by Rule10b5; February 15th, 2008 at 02:40 PM.
    The material presented herein is for informational purposes only, is not guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up to date, does not constitute legal advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT act or rely on any information in this post or e-mail without seeking the advice of an attorney YOU have retained.

In plain English, while I am an attorney, I'm NOT your attorney, and I'm NOT giving you legal advice.

(Berks County)

Definitely either speak to the Sherriff or the Chief Deputy who is responsible for courthouse security. You are completely within your rights to carry to the courthouse, the deputy in question stepped way over the line and needs to be brought back down to earth. Did you get his name? I hope so.
    Bill USAF 1976 - 1986, NRA Endowment, USCCA

(Chester County)

Good to know. I have Jury Duty on the 25/25th...

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by billamj View Post
    Definitely either speak to the Sherriff or the Chief Deputy who is responsible for courthouse security. You are completely within your rights to carry to the courthouse, the deputy in question stepped way over the line and needs to be brought back down to earth. Did you get his name? I hope so.
    I didn't get his name, but I could point him out. I guess that won't help me much though.

(Cumberland County)

I'm sorry to hear yet another LEO is ignorant towards those who wish to be personally responsible for their own security. Please post the outcome, I would really like to know what happens.
    MOLON LABE

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Kypt View Post
    I didn't get his name, but I could point him out. I guess that won't help me much though.
    I'm sorry to hear that but it shouldn't keep you from contacting the Sherriff's office. They need to know when they have someone whose job it is to interact with the public does so in such a demeaning manner. Contact the Sherriff. Be polite, be concise and be prepared to explain the situation in detail. From what I've heard about your Sherriff you'll end up coming out smelling like a rose and she will demand new training/policies for some of the deputies.
    Bill USAF 1976 - 1986, NRA Endowment, USCCA

Kypt, you said this was your last day of jury duty...had you carried and checked in your gun on your previous days of serving?

(Tioga County)

Time and date should do they are likely to have a duty roster that tells who was assigned.

Quote Originally Posted by Kypt View Post

(Chester County)

I see by other responses my opinion is not a popular one, but I think you should walk away from this battle. I've met Sheriff Welsh and have all good things to say about her, but if she sides with her deputy for whatever reason, you could lose your LTCF. I've talked to her about an attitude one of her deputies took with me in the past, and she apologized and said she'd speak to him about it, but it was about an issue that would most likely continue until she addressed it.

Chances are you won't be seeing that deputy or anyone who witnessed the incident any time soon, so aside from embarassing you in public, little harm was done. Yes, chances are he may treat others in the same discourteous manner in the future if you don't say something to Sheriff Welsh, but I think you have more to lose than gain if you pursue this. I would hazard a guess to say the deputy was rude because you knew you were going to a court house and also knew you could not carry your gun while in the building, yet you brought it anyway. If Sheriff Welsh shares that sentiment and backs her deputy, she can pull your LTCF at her discretion and right or wrong, you'll need a lawyer if you want it back.

As I said in your other post about which door to enter, I've gone there in the past with my gun and had no problems, but if I know I'm going there I don't carry, and if I go there while out on other business, I now leave my gun in the car.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast