Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Luzerne County)

Default Driving through Hazleton today

I had an event happen to me today that I'm having a hard time believing. The whole thing feels like a dream, I guess it is safe to say I am experiencing denial. I debated whether or not to share it with my wife. Ultimately I did tell her. I frequently share stories with her from this forum so she suggested I write up a post about it.

I took my 3 year old down to Ed's Sport Shop in Tamaqua to order a suppressor. We got that all wrapped up and headed back north on 309. It is somewhere around 2PM. Penndot has the ramp connecting 309 to 81 right outside McAdoo closed for repaving, so I went on through McAdoo and noticed a line of traffic backed up trying to turn left on 424 to get to 81.

I decided what the hell I'll drive through town, our next destination was the Weis Market on 93. I made a left onto Broad St in Hazleton and made my way up to the light in front of the UPS store and Save A Lot. I'm in the right lane, there are two cars in front of me stopped at the red light, there are three cars in the left lane. As I slowly approach, the last car in the left lane cuts in front of me and stops, and I stop pretty much right on his bumper. Normally I leave a good bit of space between myself and the car in front of me, I didn't really have a choice here. The car is all black, dark tinted windows. All identifying features of the car have been removed, no make or model or anything like that. It had a PA plate, but I didn't think at the time to note the numbers. The light turns green, all the cars go except for this guy in front of me. The cars in front of him clear the intersection, I'm starting to fume and have a WTF moment, debating laying on the horn, then he turns on his flashers. I let out a deep breath of frustration and put my car in reverse and go to backup with my mirrors. I can't really see the car behind me so I turn around and look over my shoulder. I get far enough back and stop, start to turn back forward and put the car in drive while cranking my wheel hard over to the left. Now things get interesting.....

I'm facing forward and I see the passenger getting out of the car. I am not afraid to admit that at this point I proceed to profile: he is hispanic and (hate me for saying this) he looks thugged out. He walks toward my passenger side with his hand down his pants at about 2 o'clock like he is holding something. For the record, my doors are locked, my windows are up, my kid is sitting behind me (drivers side, backseat), my shirt is tucked in behind my IWB holster as is always the case when I enter a vehicle. At this point several things happen at once. My foot comes off the brake and onto the gas and my hand goes on my holstered sidearm. As I move sharply into the left lane, the car in front of me turns left and blocks the lane, the passenger alters his path back toward my passenger door. My wheel is still cranked hard over left, I see there is no oncoming traffic so I gas it hard across the double yellow and drive straight into the crowded shopping center. I look back in time to see the passenger get back into the car as it drives off, all eyes fixed on me. From the backseat, my kid says "daddy I don't like you driving like that". Once I gained my composure, we went home. I did not call the police, flame me for it if you like.

So, after telling my wife, she has no doubt that this was an attempted car jacking. The part of me that is in denial is for some reason saying maybe not, maybe I overreacted and made an illegal left turn into oncoming lanes for nothing. Then of course, I remind myself that the driver of the car attempted to block my efforts. I also remind myself of the number of car jackings that have occurred in town in the middle of the afternoon. Most of them happen on the beltway. Regardless, I find myself playing back through the incident in my head over and over again.

So....anybody care to chime in?
    Last edited by csmith; April 13th, 2012 at 11:52 PM. Reason: Removed duplicate text

Default Hazleton incident

I have NO idea. You may be right on the 'jacking. I began to
    think that it might have been an ATF hacking into your purchase
    of the suppressor. But that would have been weird also. In either
    case your action / reactions were appropriate. Better safe than
    hijacked. You son is a very aware guy, also! L1S1
    "1"starts the Militia; you are not alone but fight as though you are.

(Blair County)

Default Re: Driving through Hazleton today

Holy shit. I'm in agreement with you, it sounds like an attempted carjacking. And with my son in the backseat, I wouldn't have hesitated to do what you did. Glad things didn't end in bloodshed.

If you don't mind me asking, what were you driving? Something commonly targeted for theft? Not saying it's your fault for driving what you drive, just curious.

(Lancaster County)

Well I am glad it all worked out for you and your son. I would not blink an eye to shoot someone when I have my kids with me. I know it is not the right way to think but I think more of these ASSHOLES need to be shot and just maybe someday they might stop and think is this car,or walet, or what ever worth diein for. Nothing worse then a thief well a child molester is the only thing worse. I would have placed my SR40C right on the dash as he was walkin up to the car. If that don't stop him I would be ready to drop his thugged out ass.

(Bucks County)

I the heat of the moment I think you avoided an altercation and took care of things with out force ....... If you say your firearm was there and you were under control with it and avoided trouble ...... Hell it could have been a whole lot worst .......I think in that situation you done good ! ............... Rep to you

(York County)

That's quite an experience, and I'm glad you decided to follow your wife's advice and post it here. Gives us all a chance to think and talk about the kinds of things that are happening in our towns.

I also think what's even more important than what was actually happening and did you react appropriately, etc, is that your situational awareness and your actions resulted in it being a non-event for you and your family.

Rep sent for posting your experience. It will give us all something to think about.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Lancaster County)

At the end of the day, all that's important is that you and your kid got home safe. I've made drastic driving maneuvers in the past with kids in the car because of some jackwagon and I'd do it again.

Good job on being aware.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Lackawanna County)

What do you drive btw? I dont think it was overreaction at all. when kids enter the equation there is no such thing as overreaction.

(Berks County)

Car jacking or kidnapping.
    Let's not forget there are still species of tropical penguins living in the Galapagos.

I'm glad you guys are fine. My cousins live in the hazelton area, and they tell me there's a lot of gang activity.

Stay safe.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast