Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: .45 vs. .357

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: .45 vs. .357

Quote Originally Posted by TXDMERC73 View Post
    i thought he was comparing to 357 mag

if its 45 vs 357 sig - the .45 has an advantage over making a bigger hole in the BG.
    357 Sig can put holes in more bad guys without having to change magazines.
    When you are called a racist, it just means you won an argument with an Obama supporter.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by ReconLdr View Post
    Depending on application. When comparing similar size pistols, a 357Sig will almost always have a higher capacity:

1) Glock 21 10+1 vs Glock 32 13+1
    2) 1911 8+1 vs Glock 31 15+1
    (I would look up more but the network is slow today)

In revolvers of similar size the capacity is usually 6 shots, with some .357 holding as many as 8rds. I don't know of any revolvers in .45LC/ACP that hold more than 6.
    I'm not even going to consider being part of a boring caliber war, but the standard G21 magazine is 13 rounds unless you live in a shit-hole like Maryland.
    You can never have enough horsepower or ammunition.

Quote Originally Posted by G21.45 View Post
    This is the only part of your post that I disagree with. The rest of your comments are, mostly, spot on! Where, the heck, do you buy ammo? I certainly can't find 50 rounds of 357 SIG for 10 & change anywhere.

(A huge, $9.00 per box if I buy a case!)

PS: I don't want to get into terminal ballastics, tonight, other than to say that there ain't a 45 acp made that'll penetrate like a 357 SIG.
    That is not an accurate statement, depending on loading.
    Lets talk 9mm for a second, yeah I know that we are talking .45 and .357 SIG.

Take a 115 gr at +P velocities in 9mm and take a standard velocity 115 gr of the same type of HP. Which one is going to penetrate further?

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Former_Marine99 View Post
    That is not an accurate statement, depending on loading.
    Lets talk 9mm for a second, yeah I know that we are talking .45 and .357 SIG.

Take a 115 gr at +P velocities in 9mm and take a standard velocity 115 gr of the same type of HP. Which one is going to penetrate further?
    That's a bit of a trick question. It depends on the hollow point design and it depends on what you are shooting into. Some hollow points are designed to expand rapidly at lower velocities, so in some cases the +P will actually penetrate less.
    You can never have enough horsepower or ammunition.

Quote Originally Posted by 625 View Post
    That's a bit of a trick question. It depends on the hollow point design and it depends on what you are shooting into. Some hollow points are designed to expand rapidly at lower velocities, so in some cases the +P will actually penetrate less.
    I said of the same type of HP, and while I didn't state what the target medium was, by nature of the question it was implied that ceteris paribus. Sorry if I confused anyone by not stating it clearly.

But you are correct. the +P will penetrate less.

Now, take a 115 gr BD-JHP in .357 SIG, or hell even a 147 gr BD-JHP and put them side by side a 200 gr BD-JHP in .45. and a 115 gr 9mm BD-JHP (or respectively 147 gr 9mm BD-JHP) Which one is gonna punch deeper through the same target medium?

Don't forget, it hits harder... and penetrates deeper, with a larger traumatic wound canal. I went to 10mm GLock 29 earlier last year because I've always loved 10mm and .357 SIG is just another round I've always loved. Good news is, both rounds are gaining more popularity. .357 SIG can be bought cheap now and readily available at Wally World! 10mm is still a caliber I have to reload or order from the limited availability companies like double tap.

I always laugh whenever I look at this cartoon.

you guys are killing me!!!!!!!! All I want to do is buy a gun that will be the best at doing what I need it to do, eliminate the threat. Come on and pick one already!
    -Remember the Constitution-

Quote Originally Posted by nlcrsn View Post
    you guys are killing me!!!!!!!! All I want to do is buy a gun that will be the best at doing what I need it to do, eliminate the threat. Come on and pick one already!
    They are both perfect Self Defense rounds. I have both. If you don't have much room (tight clothes), Get a G33. If you have baggy clothes, you can carry BIG guns like the Colt 45. The added benifit of the G33: buy a .40 Barrel and you have 2 guns!

Keep in mind we live in the North. We must shoot through coats and multi-layer shirts on the bad guy (BG) due to the very short "nice" weather season. He must stop (and hopefully die) after the first round hits him "anywhere". We are not allowed to shoot to injure - be prepared!

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678