Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Luzerne County)

Default anyone know the laws for a fire pit in wilkes-barre/luzerne county

We have plans to build a deck/patio this summer and I'd like to have some sort of fire pit. something along these lines.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_27404-63094-...ire&facetInfo=

what are the laws in wilkes-barre that I would need to follow to do such a thing? Thanks for your help in advance.

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: anyone know the laws for a fire pit in wilkes-barre/luzerne county

Are you winthin the City of Wilkes Barre or just have a Wilkes Barre mailing address (Wilkes Barre Twp, Hanover Twp, Plains Twp, Lafling Bear Creek) ?

If you live in the City of Wilkes Barre, I think they made an ordinance change maybe last year. If you live in the City you cold contact City hall for a copy or clarification of the ordinance. If you live in one of the other municiplaities I'm not sure what the deal is.
    The only easy day was yesterday
    Does anyone know the number for 9-1-1?

(Washington County)

I'm sorry if you saw a new post and thought I knew the answer, but I don't. BUT, isn't it a shame that the question needs asked?
    Fortune fingers the fearless

(Luzerne County)

I can tell you as a fire fighter in mountain top in our township (Wright) you are allowed a circular pit no more then 24 inches across, it must be covered and you are supposed to only use it for cooking. With that said its not really enforced, granted we have responded to a few 911 neighbor complaints about open fires in the height of wildfire season. Generally the police just tell ya the rules and move on, we will only put it out if it's out of hand, or your burning something dangerous

(Washington County)

I'm not condoning anything, but I've heard of people having a package of hotdogs on hand when the police show up so their recreational fire is a cooking fire.

I live in an area (all row homes) where you would think you would never see one. I had one and a friend around the corner had one.
    The cops around here have other things to worry about than a fire pit.
    Ask your township building inspector, they should be able to answer your question.
    FJB

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Shodan View Post
    I'm not condoning anything, but I've heard of people having a package of hotdogs on hand when the police show up so their recreational fire is a cooking fire.
    Yea that works lol but not if it's a big fire, only of its something small

(Washington County)

Again OP, who knows what sketchy ordinances localities have but I think any store-bough fire ring is going to be small enough to be OK.

Obviously, it is your resoinsibility to check local laws and use common sense, especially in this dry weather.

(Luzerne County)

Smile Re: anyone know the laws for a fire pit in wilkes-barre/luzerne county

Call the W-B Fire Department on their regular number(not 911). They will gladly tell you all you need to know.

I have the opposite problem. Someone in my neighborhood has one and I get his smoke in my house too often. Yes It's annoying.

Just something to consider.
    You'd Better Hope Your Insane, Cause There's No Cure For Stupid!

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie De View Post
    Call the W-B Fire Department on their regular number(not 911). They will gladly tell you all you need to know.

I have the opposite problem. Someone in my neighborhood has one and I get his smoke in my house too often. Yes It's annoying.

Just something to consider.
    Reminds me of when i had one at my house (rowhome). When i lit it, it sounded like the worlds largest domino's (windows slamming shut)
    Needless to say, i no longer use it here, i brought it up state.
    FJB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast