Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default South Hills shops?

Anyone have a good recommendation for a shop in the South Hills? Specifically someone who will have a good selection of holsters in-stock for CC?

Would like to be able to test fit them, which is a bit hard online...

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Default Re: South Hills shops?

You're pretty much out of luck. Gander Mountain, Cabela's in Wheeling, and Ace have more than most places, but even their selection is limited. If you can't find anything locally, you could order online from places with good return policies, like OpticsPlanet or LAPoliceGear. And there's always gun shows.

(Beaver County)

federal firearms in oakdale.if he does not have it he will order what ever you want and will return it i'm pretty sure.

big mike
    do you feel lucky punk,well do ya!

(Allegheny County)

Gander Mtn. in W. Mifflin isn't too far from me, but do they let you try things out? I'd be much more comfortable in an actual gun shop, with people used to firearms. Gander is just a tad too 'big-box' for me, but I'll have to give it a shot.

Cabelas is a bit of a drive for just window shopping. Guess I need to use a bike ride as an excuse some Saturday morning.

Never been to Ace. Good shop?

Biggest problem I have is, I'm gonna need something left handed, and fairly universal, as I don't think anyone still makes em for my Firestar (if they ever really did). So I'd like to be able to test fit... And maybe a bit of window shopping at the same time. :mrgreen:

Thanks for the help.

(Beaver County)

ace is awesome and have lots of toys.talk to chris really good dude to talk to and he is a member on here goes by renegade phonix.

good luck!
    do you feel lucky punk,well do ya!

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by jaseman View Post
    Gander Mtn. in W. Mifflin isn't too far from me, but do they let you try things out? I'd be much more comfortable in an actual gun shop, with people used to firearms. Gander is just a tad too 'big-box' for me, but I'll have to give it a shot.

Cabelas is a bit of a drive for just window shopping. Guess I need to use a bike ride as an excuse some Saturday morning.

Never been to Ace. Good shop?

Biggest problem I have is, I'm gonna need something left handed, and fairly universal, as I don't think anyone still makes em for my Firestar (if they ever really did). So I'd like to be able to test fit... And maybe a bit of window shopping at the same time. :mrgreen:

Thanks for the help.
    You can take your gun into Gander Mountain to try the fit. At least they have a real gun dept., not like the Dicks or Wal Mart phony gun departments. Unload it before you take it in. You need to check it in at the front, It's a little bit of a pain, but it's possible.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by BIG MIKE 2003 View Post
    ace is awesome and have lots of toys.talk to chris really good dude to talk to and he is a member on here goes by renegade phonix.

good luck!
    Thats funny, i tried to introduce myself to him when i was there and he pretty much did not aknowledge me and i even PM'd him saying nice to meet you and no response.....

And OP, you can find better than ace for holsters selection, try bravermans or get a nice cross breed or galco...
    Thank you SSgt.Tim Chambers......

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sleeeper View Post
    Thats funny, i tried to introduce myself to him when i was there and he pretty much did not aknowledge me and i even PM'd him saying nice to meet you and no response.....

And OP, you can find better than ace for holsters selection, try bravermans or get a nice cross breed or galco...
    Does Braverman's really have many holsters? Seems like I remember their whole store being about as big as Ace's holster aisle.

(Allegheny County)

They had a good selection of new and used when I was there last... not like other places that only carry uncle mikes and off brands....
    Thank you SSgt.Tim Chambers......

(Allegheny County)

Thanks for the help all...

Ace is only about a 20 min. drive down 19 from me, so that might be my first stop. Would like to try Bravermans as well, I'm just never in that area of town, so it'll be a while till I can try to get over there.

Anyone know if Powell keeps any selection of holsters on hand. He's right around the corner from my parents house, so it would be easy to stop in next time I'm in Penn Hills.

Another question...
    After doing some Googling, I've seen some Firestar owners say a holster for a compact 1911 fits pretty well. What should I expect to pay for a half-decent leather one?

Thanks again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast