long story short - my house is divided into four apartments. one of them was broken into a few months ago which prompted me to look into some sort of home defense. landed on a mossberg 500 and kept it in my closet for these past few months. it's nothing special...plastic stock, plastic forend, 18½" barrel. i just put the pistol grip and a sling on.
took it out on monday to fire it for the first time at a friend's house. ended up shooting some sort of glock, a mosin 1891, kel tec sub 2000 and my mossberg.

i joined this site because i was googling open carry laws and found a thread here from 2009 with the info i needed.

called the sheriff's office today just to double and triple check the laws.

i'd like to get a new forend that isn't plastic, but don't even know where to start to look. any suggestions?

i'd also like a different stock and barrel. i do indeed enjoy how short the barrel is, so if there are other barrels that are 18-20", please point me in that direction.

i have so many stupid questions that i'll keep to myself for now, but they have to do with what i'm asking about, so they'll eventually come out.