Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default new owner/shooter - mossberg 500

long story short - my house is divided into four apartments. one of them was broken into a few months ago which prompted me to look into some sort of home defense. landed on a mossberg 500 and kept it in my closet for these past few months. it's nothing special...plastic stock, plastic forend, 18½" barrel. i just put the pistol grip and a sling on.
    took it out on monday to fire it for the first time at a friend's house. ended up shooting some sort of glock, a mosin 1891, kel tec sub 2000 and my mossberg.

i joined this site because i was googling open carry laws and found a thread here from 2009 with the info i needed.

called the sheriff's office today just to double and triple check the laws.

i'd like to get a new forend that isn't plastic, but don't even know where to start to look. any suggestions?

i'd also like a different stock and barrel. i do indeed enjoy how short the barrel is, so if there are other barrels that are 18-20", please point me in that direction.

i have so many stupid questions that i'll keep to myself for now, but they have to do with what i'm asking about, so they'll eventually come out.

(Monroe County)

Default Re: new owner/shooter - mossberg 500

In other words, you want to replace everything but the receiver assembly? If that is what you really want to do, there are lots of vendors that sell after market stuff for Mossys. If you want something that actually makes sense for self defense, you could try Rich at American Sport Shooting, located in Easton, who sells quality gear. Keep in mind that this stuff is not cheap and doing what you say you want to do will probably cost more that you originally paid for the gun. HTH

(Monroe County)

thanks. after talking to another mossberg 500 owner, i agree that a new barrel doesn't make sense.
    new forend though...
    that isn't plastic might be something i'd like to replace.
    thanks for the info

(Monroe County)

Want wood you should of gone with a 870, that being said there a few "sporting" versions of 500s out there- so a goggle search or a couple of gun show walk throughs could yield a trade or buy. I went the other direction

Added the Knoxx stock and 590a1 sights. The Pawn and gold shop by STS on 209 has a ok deal on a 590 ($350)if someone cares.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by NEPAKevin View Post
    you could try Rich at American Sport Shooting
    I second this 100%! Rich is (in my opinion) The absolute BEST person in the area to work with. Anything I choose to buy for the exception of cheap plinking ammo I go to rich.

(Monroe County)

Here's my two cents...if your neighbor was just broken into, especially if it was in the SAME BUILDING, you need to seriously consider a way to securely lockup any and all firearms when you're not there. I'm not kidding. Just having them "in the closet" isn't good enough. You don't want to walk in the door one day and notice they're missing or worse - pointed at you.

This should be more important than any upgrades you make.
    Again, just my .02
    NRA Instructor/RSO
    C.A.R. Instructor
    Certified Glock Armorer

(Monroe County)

So What did Sheriff Martin say about open carry? Is he still alive? , i haven't heard anything since his "episode"

Go to www.gunparts.com or www.ironwood.com and peruse to see if they have any wood.

Quote Originally Posted by mrnyman View Post
    So What did Sheriff Martin say about open carry? Is he still alive? , i haven't heard anything since his "episode"

Go to www.gunparts.com or www.ironwood.com and peruse to see if they have any wood.
    Episode ? Were have I been,What epsidode,inform please.

(Monroe County)

outstanding choice ! the mossberg 500 is as good as any 12 gauge pump gun around,for home defense keep that 18" barrel and as for that "plastic" black synthetic is very durable stuff and for a tactical/home defense gun i think it looks better than wood or aftermarket tactical parts.

And if the M500 (mossberg 500) was good enough for US marines it's good enough for me!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

(Pike County)

Yeah but don't the Marines use the A1 version which uses metal parts?
    Sanity, yours if you can keep it.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast