Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default It's time to allow concealed carry on campus. I need your help guys.

Things are really getting bad on college campuses in this country. With the shooting yesterday in Illinois, these mass killings are happening WAY too often for comfort, especially for a college student such as myself. With current policies that most colleges have in place not allowing guns on campus, just what the hell am I supposed to do if a gunman opens fire in my classroom? Hide under my desk? Please. I'd much rather have a fighting chance at defending myself and my classmates, but these college administrators still somehow think that labeling the campus a "gun free zone" is going to prevent acts of violence, while the tragedies at VT and now the one in Illinois CLEARLY demonstrate that this is false thinking.

Anyway, to my point. As I said, I am a current college student with a valid PA LTCF and I want to be able to carry on campus to defend myself. Besides the threat of a gunman inside the school, I attend classes at night in a not-so-friendly neighborhood, so being able to protect myself during the walk to and from my vehicle would be nice as well. I plan on contacting the appropriate people in my school's administration to get the ball rolling on this issue at my campus. I've joined Students for Concealed Carry on Campus, and submitted an application to be the campus leader for my school. My question is this. Who exactly should I contact? The school President, the Dean of Students, both? What would be your approach. Over the next couple of days I plan on drafting a letter bringing attention to the issue of allowing CCW on campus, and I would be glad to post it here to allow my fellow PAFOA members to help me fine-tune it.

Thanks everyone.
    Dave

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: It's time to allow concealed carry on campus. I need your help guys.

I am just curious if these colleges have metal detectors or what? My gut reaction says to carry concealed! Concealed means "No one knows!" So if anything ever happens, blast the BG and deal with the rebutle of having a gun on campus. I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6!

I definitely think action needs to be taken to change the rules, but consider that if you start poking around with the higher up, you will be labeled as a possible gun carrier and they could make things hard for you...

Just some thoughts to consider...

New AR15 Forum! www.AlphaRomeo15.org All AR, No Attitude!

(Centre County)

Default Re: It's time to allow concealed carry on campus. I need your help guys.

Dave,
    I would address a letter to the Dean, the President and most of all to the news media, (all the media in the area of the school, send them a copy of what you sent the school officials).

Express your concerns about not being able to protect yourself while on school grounds (when off the grounds you are legally allowed to protect yourself), the response time for campus police (are they even legally responsible for your protection?). My last statement goes along with my first in that the courts have ruled before that the police are not there to protect YOU, but to protect the population as a whole.

Dig up some stats (the forum can help there) about gun safety and how low the percentage of murders actually come from guns. How many gun owners there are and how few crimes (as a percentage of owners ) are committed with guns, etc.

I'm sure that other will also add to the things to discuss.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Berks County)

I have considered carrying regardless of my school's policies, believe me. And I just may do so. However, I would like to see the policies change to allow any student who has a valid LTCF to exercise his or her right to self defense. Other than just the fact that they would have the option to defend themselves, the whole idea of "gun free zones" is just bullshit to begin with. When a criminal set on killing large numbers of people sees a sign that says "gun free zone", what they actually see is a sign that says "Lots and lots of unarmed, defenseless, easy targets here!". If these people knew that there was a good chance their victims were going to shoot back, I think we would see a drop in these crimes, but hey, maybe I'm just crazy.

What kind of negative effects do you think contacting the college administrators may have for me? Can you elaborate on that?

I'd write the legislators and encourage them to pass a law like Utah did, and like others said, even write the college administrators in an attempt to change their mind, since PA has no law forbidding carrying on college campuses. I can tell you, that after all is said and done, I'd carry anyways regardless of policy, as long as there was no legal law against it, because my life is more valuable than listening to the liberal breeding ground tell me it'll never happen. I'd just be sure to conceal well.

(Indiana County)

Firearms and weapons

Neither firearms nor other weapons are permitted anywhere in IUP residence halls or apartments. Firearms/weapons include but are not limited to the following: rifles, shotguns, ammunition, gunpowder, fireworks, nun-chucks, air rifles, air pistols, knives, BB guns, bows and arrows, dart guns, paint-ball guns, and “look-alike” weapons. Hunters and other persons must register firearms and store them with University Police.
    This is all I can find for IUP's weapons policy online, and I don't think I ever got an official "handbook".

Does that mean it should be okay to carry on campus, so long as one stays out of the dorms? Or should I look harder?

Quote Originally Posted by Aran View Post
    This is all I can find for IUP's weapons policy online, and I don't think I ever got an official "handbook".

Does that mean it should be okay to carry on campus, so long as one stays out of the dorms? Or should I look harder?
    with your history of shirts riding up(not busting your balls here just stating a fact) i'd write a letter to the deans office to ask for sure. But sounds like your good to go there

(Indiana County)

I don't plan to carry on campus anyhow. Those plastic seats would annoy the hell out of me the way I carry.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Aran View Post
    I don't plan to carry on campus anyhow. Those plastic seats would annoy the hell out of me the way I carry.
    Is that really more important to you than the ability to defend yourself if God fobid another VT or NIU happens in your classroom? Find a different way to carry, man!

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by BerksCountyDave View Post
    Is that really more important to you than the ability to defend yourself if God fobid another VT or NIU happens in your classroom? Find a different way to carry, man!
    No, I was making a joke.

I'm taking this semester off, so it's a moot point at the moment anyhow.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast