Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Luzerne County)

Default SGL range posting

Took a trip to SGL range off rt. 118 on 04/03/11 the range had several signs stating that you had to possess of current hunting or furtakers license or a $30 "range use permit" to use the range. According to PGC violators will be fined. Is this a money grab or to keep certain clientele out?
    Last edited by rm74; April 4th, 2011 at 07:57 PM. Reason: updated info

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: SGL range posting

Quote Originally Posted by rm74 View Post
    Took a trip to SGL range off rt. 118 on 04/03/11 the range had several signs stating that you had to possess of current hunting or furtakers license or a $30 "range use permit" to use the range. According to PGC violators will be fined. Is this a money grab or to keep certain clientele out?
    I think a little of both.

Hopefully this keeps the douchebags out and the cash gets invested back into better facilities. But time will tell.
    Last edited by QuackXP; April 4th, 2011 at 08:08 PM.

(Luzerne County)

I hope both your points come true ,but like you said time will tell.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by QuackXP View Post
    I think a little of both.

Hopefully this keeps the douchebags out and the cash gets invested back into better facilities. But time will tell.
    I hope both your points come true ,but like you said time will tell.
    I have to reopen this old post to say, the only reason the PGC imposed this shooting range fee BS, was because they mismanaged what revenue they already make and it was a way to suck in more money under the radar. So now they have more income to mismanage! They could care less about who uses the ranges...well maybe the WCO's do.
    American by birth, Patriot by choice!

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by SSGF109 View Post
    I have to reopen this old post to say, the only reason the PGC imposed this shooting range fee BS, was because they mismanaged what revenue they already make and it was a way to suck in more money under the radar. So now they have more income to mismanage! They could care less about who uses the ranges...well maybe the WCO's do.
    So since the PGC and the PFBC are the most auduted State agencies, ( Breakdown of of Budget is on the PGC's website) Just how was the money mismanaged? Fine money is a drop in the bucket. It doesnt even pay WCO's wages. As well ir shouldnt, LE should never be seen as revenue.
    Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion, without the discomfort of thought.

John F Kennedy.

(Lackawanna County)

My personal feelings are that the range permit has helped the public ranges. I definately have seen a drop in people at the ranges who abuse them. I have also seen a greater wco presence. I use the suscon range and 118. Not as much as I once did since joing a private range though.

(Luzerne County)

I personally use both the ranges on Suscon rd. and Rt. 118. The Suscon rd. range seems to have less idiots( at least when I am their ) and usually doesn't look like a tornado hit. My experiences lately at Rt. 118 were not as pleasant in regards to my two points. I guess it depends on the range. Also I don't remember when they removed the garbage cans from ranges and made it carry in, carry out. I know the trash cans used to be overflowing. But i still see alot of trash at the ranges the only difference is that is not all in one spot!
    Last edited by rm74; March 9th, 2012 at 12:39 AM. Reason: mispelled

(Lackawanna County)

Its 30 bucks. So you pay your 30 bucks and get to use the range. I live close to ny and nj and if it helps keep the riff raff out im all about it.

(Luzerne County)

I use the range mentioned off of 118 when I am lucky enough to get out and shoot. I wish I could say that the $30 range permit/ hunting license rule has done some good to keep the range in better shape, but it certainly hasn't. The last time I was out [last friday] there was a despicable amount of trash about. I probably spent more time cleaning up the garbage from slobs than I did shooting. I even found a dead robin that apparently was on a branch near the rifle targets and was shot by someone and left to lay just because. I can't reason how some folks can abuse and misuse something like a public range and not feel like scumbags when they leave.

In any case, regarding the removal of the trash cans, it is just one less thing for the ignorant ones to shoot at when they are at the range.

sorry to rant, but some things get me going.

(Luzerne County)

Speaking of the SGL Ranges, more specifically the range on Suscon Rd, there are still idiots out there.

I was at the range Saturday afternoon, trying to evaluate some reloads for my M4. The range was called clear and I walked down to hang my target, along with some other shooters.

As I was hanging my targets, a so called "experienced shooter" decided to send a round down range..........while I was still down range! He was shooting from the bench, next to where I was set up.

The idiot spewed he was sorry several times, but I told him to open his m-f'in eyes before he shoots!

Shortly there after, he packed up an left.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast