Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Berks County)

Default Handgun rental near Pottstown?

I'm considering buying a Glock, but before I do so I'd prefer to rent and shoot it for maybe an hour to see how I like it. Anyone know of a place somewhat near Pottstown that lets you do this? I'd prefer some place within an hour's driving distance or so, but the closer the better of course.

Thanks. Hope the moderators don't mind me posting this in two forums by the way -- I'm pretty near the Berks/Montgomery county border.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Handgun rental near Pottstown?

Quote Originally Posted by ThereYonder View Post
    I'm considering buying a Glock, but before I do so I'd prefer to rent and shoot it for maybe an hour to see how I like it. Anyone know of a place somewhat near Pottstown that lets you do this? I'd prefer some place within an hour's driving distance or so, but the closer the better of course.

Thanks. Hope the moderators don't mind me posting this in two forums by the way -- I'm pretty near the Berks/Montgomery county border.
    Head down to Phoenixville to French Creek Outfitters. They usually have several Glock models you can rent for the range.

(Northampton County)

If French Creek Outfitters doesn't have what your looking for check these ranges out. Both rent class 3 firearms too.

From Pottstown

50 Minutes drive
    http://www.targetmaster.com/index.html
    255 Wilmington West Chester Pike, Chadds Ford, PA 19317

60 Minutes drive
    http://www.classicpistol.com/default.asp
    1310 Industrial Boulevard · Southampton · PA 18966

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowline View Post
    Head down to Phoenixville to French Creek Outfitters. They usually have several Glock models you can rent for the range.
    FCO is by far the worst shop around here, possibly anywhere. Don't ever go there unless you want to be talked down to, made fun of, yelled at or ignored altogether. They have a so-so selection of new guns (not horrible), but it's the employees they have that make it an absolute shit hole. As for rentals (if you get that far), what few they have are so gunked up that it's a wonder they even still fire at all. I don't think there has ever been a better example of a place to avoid at all costs when shopping for a gun.

On the other hand, Targetmaster is the best indoor range and shop I've been to, especially in the rental category. In contrast to FCO, Targetmaster employees are all decent people and have been helpful and friendly or at worst nothing more than neutral (i.e. no interaction, positive or negative) every time I've gone in there. They have rentals from most major brands, and they're all in pretty good operating condition. I say "pretty good" because being frequently used rentals they should still be wiped down and have a few drops of oil added before shooting them to ensure perfect function. Even though it's about an hour from this area (Pottstown) I would recommend them any time. Whether shooting my own guns, renting others, or just poking around the shop I've always left feeling like I had a good experience.
    Last edited by DC2.2GSR; October 8th, 2012 at 12:03 AM.

(Berks County)

Thanks guys, I appreciate the suggestions and feedback.

Yeah, I read some of the not so great stories about FCO here last night after seeing them mentioned here, so I'll definitely keep that in mind. The thing is, if there were something as close that were better I'd definitely go to it instead, but the half hour drive is much more appealing to me than the hour drive. That's an hour round trip vs. a two hour round trip. But then again will the potentially negative experience outweigh the shorter trip... also the fact that you say the guns are gunked up isn't good either.

We'll see. I wouldn't be going today anyway probably.

Thereyonder I live near the border as well. I have just to lazy to change my location. I have a Glock 19 & 22. If you would like to shoot them send me a PM.
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Daycrawler View Post
    Thereyonder I live near the border as well. I have just to lazy to change my location. I have a Glock 19 & 22. If you would like to shoot them send me a PM.
    I appreciate the offer, thanks. Actually I'm looking to try the 26, 27, and 30.

(Berks County)

If have a 17, 19, 22, & 23 if youre interested in trying. I shoot at Oley. Plus, if you're looking for a good price new, ive "got a guy." PM me, I can usually beat any new Glock price by $50.

Quote Originally Posted by ThereYonder View Post
    I appreciate the offer, thanks. Actually I'm looking to try the 26, 27, and 30.
    Your Welcome, No problem!
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by DC2.2GSR View Post
    FCO is by far the worst shop around here, possibly anywhere. Don't ever go there unless you want to be talked down to, made fun of, yelled at or ignored altogether. They have a so-so selection of new guns (not horrible), but it's the employees they have that make it an absolute shit hole. As for rentals (if you get that far), what few they have are so gunked up that it's a wonder they even still fire at all. I don't think there has ever been a better example of a place to avoid at all costs when shopping for a gun.

On the other hand, Targetmaster is the best indoor range and shop I've been to, especially in the rental category. In contrast to FCO, Targetmaster employees are all decent people and have been helpful and friendly or at worst nothing more than neutral (i.e. no interaction, positive or negative) every time I've gone in there. They have rentals from most major brands, and they're all in pretty good operating condition. I say "pretty good" because being frequently used rentals they should still be wiped down and have a few drops of oil added before shooting them to ensure perfect function. Even though it's about an hour from this area (Pottstown) I would recommend them any time. Whether shooting my own guns, renting others, or just poking around the shop I've always left feeling like I had a good experience.
    This. I'm a member at TargetMaster and I love it there! Home away from home.
    Freedom, Reason, Peace