Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default WASR 10 troubles

I have a WASR 10 that I bought a few years ago. I have an issue with the mag well on it. The mags i have wobble severely to the point that they "drop" out and will not let the next round chamber. Is this an issue with the mags or the gun itself? How do I fix it?

Default Re: WASR 10 troubles

Have you had the problem all along or just recently? If the problem just started recently and happens with all the mags it is probably the magwell. As far as dropping out the way you describe, I have had that problem with Tapco mags but not steel mags. and only when I put pressure on the Tapco mag like resting it on a table for stability when taking a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by internet troll View Post
    Have you had the problem all along or just recently? If the problem just started recently and happens with all the mags it is probably the magwell. As far as dropping out the way you describe, I have had that problem with Tapco mags but not steel mags. and only when I put pressure on the Tapco mag like resting it on a table for stability when taking a shot.
    I have had this issue with the one mag since I bought the gun. Then recently both mags I own started to do it. Never really bothered me before but this summer I would like to actually start shooting it more then a few mags here and there.
    The mags work flawlessly if I keep pressure on the bottom of the mag so they stay seated properly. if I fire from a stand the recoil causes the mag to slip just under the bolt carriage. If this is an issue with mags could I get recommendations of mags that are work better>?

(Allegheny County)

Good details guide good answers.

Is it single stack? Double stack?

What kind of magazines?

Do you have pictures? (Good ones) like with the magazine in. Without. Etc. Video would be better.

Is the magazine "catch" snapping down over the lug of the magazine? If it isn't - that's your problem.
    When the magazine is inserted, is there side to side wobble, or is there front to back?

Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus6 View Post
    Good details guide good answers.

Is it single stack? Double stack?
    It is the 30 rnd Double stack
    What kind of magazines?
    Steel ones no idea on country of origin.
    Do you have pictures? (Good ones) like with the magazine in. Without. Etc. Video would be better.
    no and AK is not with me
    Is the magazine "catch" snapping down over the lug of the magazine? If it isn't - that's your problem.
    yes it is
    When the magazine is inserted, is there side to side wobble, or is there front to back?
    Side to side
    Answers in red
    the wobble itself doesnt bother me aside from the fact that it causes FTEs when shooting. As I said it seems like the mag slips a tiny amount down.

(Chester County)

the problem is that whoever drilled out your mag well to make it accept double stacks f'd it up and drilled too wide. classic issue with WASRs. the mags are probably fine. hard problem to fix since you cant un-drill your receiver, but try putting some tape around the top of your mags so they fit snugger

If it is your magwell you might be able to build out the walls a little bit by using JB weld. It's an amazing substance that I have used to make repairs on a few things around the house and it aways works well. I have never used it on a gun. Almost as useful as duct tape. You would have to figure out exactly where the problem is and how much you would want to build up the sides of the magwell.

I would research the idea before trying it if you decide to go that route. Make sure you use the JB weld designed for metal. Has anyone here ever used it for something like this?

http://jbweld.net/products/jbweld.php

Quote Originally Posted by internet troll View Post
    If it is your magwell you might be able to build out the walls a little bit by using JB weld. It's an amazing substance that I have used to make repairs on a few things around the house and it aways works well. I have never used it on a gun. Almost as useful as duct tape. You would have to figure out exactly where the problem is and how much you would want to build up the sides of the magwell.

I would research the idea before trying it if you decide to go that route. Make sure you use the JB weld designed for metal. Has anyone here ever used it for something like this?

http://jbweld.net/products/jbweld.php
    I've used JB for over 12 years but I can tell you right now using in this application more than likely wont work. JB is more for filling holes and cracks, or repairing threads (I've actually repaired stripped head bolts threads using it) but using it as an 'edge' on metal as thin as a receiver isn't going to do much.

Only way I know of fixing this problem is to add material via welding to the mag well and then use a mill to remove the correct amount and clean the mag well back up.

This is the exact reason I never bought a WASR, heard too many stories like this about sloppy workmanship.

Quote Originally Posted by dc dalton View Post
    I've used JB for over 12 years but I can tell you right now using in this application more than likely wont work. JB is more for filling holes and cracks, or repairing threads (I've actually repaired stripped head bolts threads using it) but using it as an 'edge' on metal as thin as a receiver isn't going to do much.

Only way I know of fixing this problem is to add material via welding to the mag well and then use a mill to remove the correct amount and clean the mag well back up.

This is the exact reason I never bought a WASR, heard too many stories like this about sloppy workmanship.
    Cool, thanks for the feedback on the idea.

(Allegheny County)

I disagree Dalton. Many people have used JB weld to tighten up a sloppy magwell. I would start higher in the gun than the leading edge of the receiver that interfaces with the edge of the magazine.

Basically replicate what the dimpled receiver would have done for stabilization.

Build up the jb weld on the inside of the receiver to stabilize the magazine after its already inserted.

This gun was built out of scrap metal. (Not joking) The rivets squeezed in a vice. Shit was welded together and end of rivets ground down. By all accounts it shouldn't even work. But it does. Well actually.

Check magazine fit with it dropped straight in.

Dropped in front lug.

And then locked into place.

Please pay special attention to the magazine catch to see if there is play. If its been ground, it can let the magazine sag. Which will cause issues. It should be a tight fit.

Finally check your installed height here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast