Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Luzerne County)

Default Thinking about picking up an AR, S&W M&P15 Sport or STAG?

I am thinking about getting into the world of ARs. This will be my first one and I have been going back and forth between an AR or an AK. I like everything about the AK except every variation I have tried just doen't feel right.

I really like the feel of an AR plus they seem more versatile if I ever want to change the upper to a long range type rifle with a scope.

What is the general opinion between a S&W M&P15 Sport vs. a STAG. I was considering a model 2 or 3 maybe a model 1. I kinda like the look of the handle but will eventually be putting some sort of optic on it.

Any pros and cons between the two manufacturers?

(Cumberland County)

Default Re: Thinking about picking up an AR, S&W M&P15 Sport or STAG?

Quote Originally Posted by Brudog View Post
    I am thinking about getting into the world of ARs. This will be my first one and I have been going back and forth between an AR or an AK. I like everything about the AK except every variation I have tried just doen't feel right.

I really like the feel of an AR plus they seem more versatile if I ever want to change the upper to a long range type rifle with a scope.

What is the general opinion between a S&W M&P15 Sport vs. a STAG. I was considering a model 2 or 3 maybe a model 1. I kinda like the look of the handle but will eventually be putting some sort of optic on it.

Any pros and cons between the two manufacturers?
    I can't comment on the S&W but I do really really like my Stag. It started it's life as a model 3 and recently put on a 3GH upper which I got shoot for the first time today. I have no complaints about Stag at all.

(Montgomery County)

On one hand, I don't feel like I'm well qualified to give a good answer -- I'm sure you'll get a lot of good feedback from owners here who really know their AR's.

On the other hand, I happen to own an M&P Sport. I purchased it and had a YHM quad rail installed and the front post/sight replaced with a low profile gas block before I even took it home.

Since then, I've fired about 400 rounds through it. I've had zero issues, and recently shot it in an unsanctioned multigun IDPA event. I've been pleased with its functionality -- no failures of any kind. I am not a distance, precision shooter, but from 200 yards and in (with an Eotech with no magnification), I'm very pleased. I scored better than I would have guessed in the event, and for the money, it's been a lot of fun.

In sum, it's a blast to shoot, and more than adequate from carbine type ranges. Would I feel like it would drive tacks at distance? Probably not -- my AR 5.7 seems to shoot tighter groups at 50-100M -- but it's a damn fine little carbine for general AR shooting.

(Luzerne County)

Seems like opinions are all over online. I just read some posts that say S&W is a better quality gun than Stag and Spikes Tactical is even better yet.

My local shop recommended S&W for entry level gun with some limits on features or a Stag with some more features. They also had some others that were fully Mil Spec if I wanted to spend more money (Daniel's Defense).

This might be a tough decision with a lot of variables like I am seeing.

I would just like a well made entry level AR to get me started to see if I want to go full bore into this type of weapon system. Up to now I have spent all my time with mid to long range rifle shooting and don't know a lot about the AR platform or the various manufacturers.

(Allegheny County)

I'd spend the money and go right for the Daniel Defense, buy once cry once, you won't be dissapointed.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Brudog View Post
    Seems like opinions are all over online. I just read some posts that say S&W is a better quality gun than Stag and Spikes Tactical is even better yet.

My local shop recommended S&W for entry level gun with some limits on features or a Stag with some more features. They also had some others that were fully Mil Spec if I wanted to spend more money (Daniel's Defense).

This might be a tough decision with a lot of variables like I am seeing.

I would just like a well made entry level AR to get me started to see if I want to go full bore into this type of weapon system. Up to now I have spent all my time with mid to long range rifle shooting and don't know a lot about the AR platform or the various manufacturers.
    I would also look at Rock River, another AR manufacture that I feel makes a quality firearm at a decent price. I have one I bought many years ago and my step brother just picked one up for around $700-800. Never been a fan of Bushmaster, friend has one and it seem to be very picky about what ammo it likes and the fit between upper and lower is very sloppy.

(Beaver County)

I love my Stag, but I can't say anything about the S&W. I put a Bushy together for my brother, because his dept requires Bushmaster. I don't like the slop between the upper and lower, but, it is what it is. The fit on the Stag is tight, absolutely no slop.

(Cumberland County)

Some will say you'll pay for the name with Daniel Defense, and others will say that anything less than a Colt is garbage. The truth is, you need to figure out what you want out of the rifle, what you're going to be using it for and how hard you're going to be running it.

If your end goal is to end up with a Daniel Defense, go straight for it. Don't waste money on a "starter AR". There is no need to buy a cheaper AR to start with.

In my opinion, for the average guy who is looking to buy an AR who will likely be using it for range use and possibly home defense, there is nothing wrong with the M&P15 Sport, Bushmaster, DPMS and whatever other AR15's people say suck.

If you're going to be buying a rifle for serious defensive use or you're a LEO and you're buying it for duty use, don't fuck around with an M&P15 Sport, DPMS or any of that. Bottom line, I'd go with atleast an M&P15 "tactical" rifle, RRA, but most of all, and preferred would be a Colt, BCM, Noveske, Daniel Defense, LMT, etc.

If you want to go ahead and get the Daniel Defense because you want it, do it. Don't waste time and money buying a cheap AR to get started. On the other hand, if you're totally happy buying a cheaper (yes, they are cheaper in price and quality) AR15 because it's likely only going to be used for range usage, go for the cheaper rifle. You may not need a 1:7 twist or 4150 steel. You may not need an M16 BCG or H buffer. You may not need mil-spec components.

What I'm trying to say is, don't feel bad by NOT buying the top tier, best, most awesome rifle you can find. But don't feel bad for buying that top tier rifle either because it's expensive. Actually a good Colt really isn't too pricey, around $950. You just need to know and realize what you want this rifle for and what you're REALLY going to be using it for. I think the M&P15 Sport is a great value. I don't think the M&P15 Sport makes a better fighting rifle over a Colt.

Just know that, for typical usage, most any AR15 from a reputable manufacture will suit the average guy just fine.

(Westmoreland County)

i just built an ar a few weeks ago, pretty simple stuff. my build came in just under $900 the way i wanted it.the surplus arms 60 dollar lower fits nice to the rra upper,no slop on mine. ctd has a string of vids to build the lower. the upper just pins on. my ar was the first and only ar ive shot. very accurate and cool platform... i also have an ak and like them both for what they are

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by EvoRich View Post
    Some will say you'll pay for the name with Daniel Defense, and others will say that anything less than a Colt is garbage. The truth is, you need to figure out what you want out of the rifle, what you're going to be using it for and how hard you're going to be running it.

If your end goal is to end up with a Daniel Defense, go straight for it. Don't waste money on a "starter AR". There is no need to buy a cheaper AR to start with.

In my opinion, for the average guy who is looking to buy an AR who will likely be using it for range use and possibly home defense, there is nothing wrong with the M&P15 Sport, Bushmaster, DPMS and whatever other AR15's people say suck.

If you're going to be buying a rifle for serious defensive use or you're a LEO and you're buying it for duty use, don't fuck around with an M&P15 Sport, DPMS or any of that. Bottom line, I'd go with atleast an M&P15 "tactical" rifle, RRA, but most of all, and preferred would be a Colt, BCM, Noveske, Daniel Defense, LMT, etc.

If you want to go ahead and get the Daniel Defense because you want it, do it. Don't waste time and money buying a cheap AR to get started. On the other hand, if you're totally happy buying a cheaper (yes, they are cheaper in price and quality) AR15 because it's likely only going to be used for range usage, go for the cheaper rifle. You may not need a 1:7 twist or 4150 steel. You may not need an M16 BCG or H buffer. You may not need mil-spec components.

What I'm trying to say is, don't feel bad by NOT buying the top tier, best, most awesome rifle you can find. But don't feel bad for buying that top tier rifle either because it's expensive. Actually a good Colt really isn't too pricey, around $950. You just need to know and realize what you want this rifle for and what you're REALLY going to be using it for. I think the M&P15 Sport is a great value. I don't think the M&P15 Sport makes a better fighting rifle over a Colt.

Just know that, for typical usage, most any AR15 from a reputable manufacture will suit the average guy just fine.
    +1

Same advice is stated over and over but it always falls on deaf ears.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast