Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Chester County)

Default Does Lancaster Co Sheriff issue Non-resident LTCF

Subject says it all, does the Lancaster Sheriff issue non-resident's license's? Thanks for the info...
    Bryan, Currently stationed at Langley AFB, Va

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Does Lancaster Co Sheriff issue Non-resident LTCF

To expand on this, I also was looking to get a NR LTCF for PA (I work in Virginia for a company that recently has added a major presence just outside of Philly) and I planned on stopping on the way back from a recent trip to the office there.

I checked the list of 'friendly' counties from the PAFOA list, and Lancaster was the closest county to me on the way home, so I filled in the forms (more on that later), stopped in at the Sheriff's office, and was out of there in 20 minutes with my LTCF. The hardest part was finding parking downtown; I parked at the Marriott's parking garage a block away; $2 for an hour, I believe.

The background check was phoned in to PICS real-time, and was completed in less than five minutes with no issues (I heard him reading my DL and physical description). The photo for the license was taken on-site digitally, and also was a quick process; the license and photo is printed and laminated for you and you are done.

Note that you do need both forms from the Lancaster Sheriff's office site. The 'local' form could be interpreted that it is only required for residents, but it's the local background check permission, and it's for all applicants; it has blanks for 'length of residence' in PA and Lancaster County. Non-residents would just put N/A in those blanks, and the place for home police agency where it asks for that is your resident county (for me, it would be 'Fairfax County, Virginia', for example).

Then, the total cost of the LTCF is $20 (not $25 as noted on the PAFOA site), and the Sheriff's staff is very friendly, quick, and informative. All in all, a very pleasant experience.

I have to say, after waiting weeks (and months) for permits from Utah, Arizona, New Hampshire, and, of course, my original Virginia, it was wonderful to see things work about as quickly as it could (if you assume the need for permits/licenses :-) ).

Hope that was useful for those of you looking for PA NR LTCFs down the road.

-Lee

May I ask if you were required to have/show a LTCF permit from your home or any other state before being issued the NR LTCF?

I showed them everything I had (VA, UT, NH, at the time). And, it looks like it is a requirement that you have a home state one if it's available. Most states that issue NR and recognize your home state do (now) require that you have the home one first.

See here:

http://www.pafoa.org/law/carrying-fi.../non-residents

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by boaterva View Post
    I showed them everything I had (VA, UT, NH, at the time). And, it looks like it is a requirement that you have a home state one if it's available. Most states that issue NR and recognize your home state do (now) require that you have the home one first.

See here:

http://www.pafoa.org/law/carrying-fi.../non-residents
    Idaho doesn't require you to have one in your home state. The process is exactly the same for resident as for non-resident. The only difference is the address on it would be out of state. Oh, and you have to show up in person to apply and to pick it up.

Probably a bit far to go for Ohio reciprocity though.