Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Carrying at Independence Mall Philly

Wanted to run this by the forums to make sure I wasn't about to do something that might get me thrown in jail (can never be too careful!).

There is a Ron Paul rally I am attending at Independence Mall this Sunday (15th of April – Tax Day!).

I know I can carry on Federal Park Service property if State Law permits it:

As of January 9, 2009, the NPS will add the following amended regulation to Chapter 2.4, weapons, traps and nets -

“Notwithstanding any other provision in this Chapter, a person may possess, carry, and transport concealed, loaded, and operable firearms within a national park area in accordance with the laws of the state in which the national park area, or that portion thereof, is located, except as otherwise prohibited by applicable Federal law.”

I was 99% sure the UFA didn’t have a provision that prevents me from carrying in a Park. I looked up and down the Uniform Firearms Act again just to be sure (CTRL+F, my savior) and didn’t see any reference to Parks, State Parks, Federal Parks, yadda yadda yadda…

Just wondering if anyone had experience or knowledge contrary to what I’ve found so far? We all know Philadelphia Police sometimes forget how the justice system works.

Thanks!

(Chester County)

Default Re: Carrying at Independence Mall Philly

The new Federal law regarding carry on NPS property was effective 2/22/10 and is found at 16 USC 1a-7b.

Be aware, however, that firearm possession in Federal facilities (ie building where Federal employees have a duty station) is still prohibited under 18 USC 930 - they must be clearly signed (subsec h) or you must be otherwise notified before an infraction ensues.

You should be good to go as long as you remain outdoors and there is no Federal exclusionary zone assuming someone with SS protection is attending. There is no issue with the Pa UFA as it relates to NPS areas.

Since you're in Phila you will need an LTCF or reciprocated license.
    Last edited by tl_3237; April 9th, 2012 at 07:01 PM.
    IANAL

(Montgomery County)

Yup, you're fine on the mall just not inside the federal buildings (like going to the bathroom). Just have a friend along with a ltcf and have them hold your firearms before you enter the buildings.
    "If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom ... go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels nor arms. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." Samuel Adams

(Chester County)

Yup, you're golden.

The folks that did the OC Parade through Center City posed for a pic in front of the Liberty Bell.

Are you going to be OC or CC? I may decide to go to the rally... still figuring out my weekend plans.

(Montgomery County)

"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom ... go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels nor arms. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." Samuel Adams