Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (York County)

Default Looking for a CC pistol. Only 5'8" 140 lbs.

Hey I have been researching for about a month now on which CC pistol I should buy. I have been to several gun shops and forums all over the net. The thing that keeps bothering me is how easy it would be to conceal considering my small frame. Any really skinny guys out there carrying double stacks without needing incredibly baggy shirts? I have been considering the Kahr cm9/cw9 and the glock 26. I am open to other calibers but my other pistol is 9mm so I already have the ammo, and I also don't want anything less. I plan to use IWB. Any tips for a guy my size? What are some other good single stacks? Thanks.

(Washington County)

Default Re: Looking for a CC pistol. Only 5'8" 140 lbs.

Don't assume that being slim is a detriment to carrying a larger gun without trying some. I still consider my build "slim" even if it's not as slim as it once was and I conceal a Glock 17 pretty easily.

You probably will have a little more natural drape to your shirts than someone who fills their shirt out to the max.

You still may find out that you require a slimmer gun, but don't do yourself a disservice by discounting larger guns before you try them.

If you decide to go with something slimmer, I have carried a Khar in the past and really found that it concealed easily.

Good luck!

(Wyoming County)

I'm 140...5ft6...and have CC a Sig 229 for years.

(Chester County)

Take a look at the Ruger SR9C or SR40C. Incredibly slim yet offers high magazine capacity.

I like my SR40C a lot!

(Westmoreland County)

You won't be disappointed with a Glock 26... hides very well IWB for a double stack.

(Bucks County)

I would personally stick to a single stack for IWB Carry. I'm 5'6" 145lbs and I love my LCP but if I had to go 9mm it would probably be the LC9 or something from Kahr.

Depends on how you want to carry it, and if you'll put enough effort/money into finding the right holster, the right mode of carry, and investing in a good gun belt.

I know people in your size (and smaller) who carry mid-size Glocks, 5" 1911's, and HK P30's. Dressing around the gun? Yes, as in they don't wear skin tight shirts. They look like they would otherwise, though, whether it be my friend who's an Asian raver (Glock 30, 5" 1911, shorter/lighter than you) or my other friend, the upscale hipster (HK P30, same size as you).
    Last edited by TGS; April 9th, 2012 at 03:21 PM.

(Montgomery County)

Most people think there is a higher level of difficulty in concealing a firearm than what really exists. You should also consider pocket carry, as it works for many people. If your pants have tiny pockets, get them made larger at an alterations shop (it costs a few bucks per pair, and you can just get the one pocket enlarged).

Most people walking around are too concerned with who to vote for on American Idol or whomever they are having a banal cell phone conversation with while they are inattentively doing something else that you will never register to them. Sure, observant people exist yet they are the vast minority (hmm, perhaps it is prudent to pursue protected status through statutes) of the population. Just because you see where it is in the mirror does not mean that everyone on the street is going to "make" you.

If you are considering concealing in a very delicate situation in which a suspicion of it may have negative consequences to your life. In that case you need to go deep concealment and IWB will not be viable. Think pocket carry, ankle carry, thunderwear or a belly band.

There is no one magical device that is going to work quite a bit better than others. Take a look at the specs of many compact and sub compact firearms and you will notice within the same class they are very close in size. The difference in outside dimensions in minimal. The important factor is effectiveness, carry method, holster and the user. The user is the most important factor as it is impossible to teach steel, polymer, kydex, leather or titanium anything...
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(York County)

thanks for the tips everyone. some of the small pistols i have handled have been disappointing...but i realized it could be because they are new and could have really tight springs and no lube. i like the lc9 on paper but felt one in person and it seemed kinda cheap. the keltec and diamondbacks i have held also felt really cheap. the 26 is my favorite of the sub compact double stacks and is pretty much the smallest, so if i could get away with it, its pretty much a lock at this point. the kahr did not disappoint and i have not held the single stack sig yet (p250?). anyway, i see your point about everyone being preoccupied with other things and not on the lookout for concealed carriers. do shops let you open up holsters and try them on?

(Cumberland County)

Tell you what, I have a Kahr CW9 and a Sig P239, both single stack 9mm. I also have a variety of holsters (mostly iwb) for both guns. If you want to meet me at my range (in Dillsburg) I'll let you shoot both of them and try all the holsters you want. All you have to do is all the ammo you want to shoot.

Shoot me a PM if you're interested. I'm working Wednesday and Thursday, but aside from that my schedule is wide open, even tomorrow.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast