Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bucks County)

Default Indentify this Revolver

Hey guys my friends Dad found this gun down in VA while cleaning out an old house he had purchased. We don't really have any information about the gun, ( my friend will have more pics on thursday ), but I'm hoping some of the experts can help me out. It appears to have S&W on the grips and the box of ammo is .32 caliber and .22 they found near it. Thanks for the help.
    Attached Images Attached Images

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Indentify this Revolver

Looks like a second model .32 double action.

(Susquehanna County)

More than likely a S&W Third Model (second model has a spur type trigger with no guard), See http://www.recguns.com/Pictures/Images/sw38_3_b.jpg
    to compare.

I wouldn't bet on the caliber, but I would be pretty sure it is not .32 S&W Long, the cylinder looks too short. And not a chance in hell it's .22 Hornet!

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Jefferson County)

S&W 3rd Model Double Action

It could be .32S&W, .32S&W Long, or possibly .32 rimfire(the Remington Kleanbore on the left). Check where the firing pin is positioned when you look down the bore(make sure gun is empty first). If it is centerfire, you can usually measure the chambers to see if it is .32S&W or the Long version. I am personally leaning towards .32S&W (the short one). But I have seen some oddball .32rimfires around.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Delaware County)

Hello all, I've looked this revolver over very closely and believe it's a S&W .32(S&W Cartridge) Double Action 2nd Model.

The reason I believe this is that the cylinder has the freeing groove and double set of rocker type cylinder stops.(Look real close) These were eliminated with the introduction of the 3rd Model.

I know this type of cylinder came with the 1st Model as well but the first model had the straight cut side plate and this gun has the oval type.

The gun appears to be factory nickel since the trigger and hammer are still case colored. In addition the trigger guard and top latch are blued.

The serial number for this gun should be from 31-22172 which puts a manufacture date of between 1880-1882

Here is a link to pictures of a 2nd Model....

http://www.antiquearmsinc.com/smith-...tique-guns.htm

Neat gun thanks for sharing it....

Best regards,

Kobsw
    Last edited by kobsw; April 9th, 2012 at 08:22 PM.

I have pretty much the same gun in slightly better condition, Mine has slightly different Grips with what looks like an Owl near the Frame end and some fancy scroll elsewhere on the Grip, But other than that, it is identical. I researched mine a few ago and believe mine was a Iver Johnson .32 S&W -- Mine has patent dates of Apr 6th, 1886 - May 10th, 1887 and March 13th 1888 and finally August 5th 1896 - this appears on the Left side of the Barrel, other than that, there are no other markings that I can find.

These were the Saturday Night Specials of the day, I wouldn't try shooting 'Modern' ammo in them unless maybe you roll your own and can download it, I thought, but can't remember when researching mine, of seeing something about only shooting rounds loaded with Black Powder in these guns as that was what they had back in their day.

Again, If memory serves me correctly, These were also made by a Few companies such as S&W, Iver Johnson and some others, then sold under various names to Sears, Wards, so forth.

They are interesting and neat little guns, but I just leave mine in the safe,It was given to me a few years back, So I don't have anything in it cost wise.

Good Luck and remember, Google is your friend on this one.

TJB
    Recoil Happens

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by TJB63 View Post
    I have pretty much the same gun in slightly better condition, Mine has slightly different Grips with what looks like an Owl near the Frame end and some fancy scroll elsewhere on the Grip, But other than that, it is identical. I researched mine a few ago and believe mine was a Iver Johnson .32 S&W -- Mine has patent dates of Apr 6th, 1886 - May 10th, 1887 and March 13th 1888 and finally August 5th 1896 - this appears on the Left side of the Barrel, other than that, there are no other markings that I can find.

These were the Saturday Night Specials of the day, I wouldn't try shooting 'Modern' ammo in them unless maybe you roll your own and can download it, I thought, but can't remember when researching mine, of seeing something about only shooting rounds loaded with Black Powder in these guns as that was what they had back in their day.

Again, If memory serves me correctly, These were also made by a Few companies such as S&W, Iver Johnson and some others, then sold under various names to Sears, Wards, so forth.

They are interesting and neat little guns, but I just leave mine in the safe,It was given to me a few years back, So I don't have anything in it cost wise.

Good Luck and remember, Google is your friend on this one.

TJB
    TJB..., I agree that the gun looks like a IJ at first glance but IJ never had a trigger guard that was flat on the grip side, theirs was more rounded, neither did they have such distinct freeing grooves and cylinder stops that this gun has which are particular to S&W's of that era.

I believe the S/N will be key to identifying the gun 100% but from what I can see I'd put my money on S&W .32 Double Action 2nd Model.

I hope the OP can clear this one up...

Regards,

Kobsw

(Bucks County)

Thanks guys, as soon as I get more information I will fill you guys in. Unfortantly my friend is not going to be going down this Thursday

Was it buried? Where did he find it?