Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: s&w 19-4

(Beaver County)

Default s&w 19-4

I bought myself a model 19-4 on Friday at my local gun store. I'm pretty much lookin for personal experiences or anything that might have problems with. This is my third wheel gun, originally I was lookin for a model 27 but for almost 800 bucks I kept lookin around. I seen the 19 and did a little googling and decided I'd go buy it. It was made in 78 and other than minor holster where on the front of the barrel, trigger guard, and cylinder its almost perfect. Its got the big target trigger and a big hammer (not sure if they was all like that or not) it got pachmyr finger groove grips, they're ugly but really comfy lol and an adjustable rear sight. I loaded some 38s and 357s and it is without a doubt the nicest shooting pistol I ever shot. Didint get a chance to plant any on paper yet but from shootin at cans it seems pretty accurate. I paid 429 out the door for it that didn't seem terrible, I also heard they're kinda rare. So any info on em would be great thanks guys.

Default Re: s&w 19-4

Awesome! I have a 4" 19-4 that would be considered near mint condition, except the grips had been sanded down and refinished back in the day for a smaller set of hands. I paid about the same as you.

I LOVE it. The recessed chambers are just the neatest thing ever, the action is nice and silky smooth, and the bluing on these older Smith's is just gorgeous.

Check out underneath the barrel crane for an "M" stamped into the metal. There was some sort of recall a few decades ago....most have had the recall performed, but it's best to check anyway.

Enjoy it.

(Cumberland County)

Thumbs up Re: s&w 19-4

awesome piece, it was my first handgun. dad gave me one when i was 15 and i still have it yet and i am 53. great shooter as it has a nice balance with the 4 inch barrel. i put on rubber grips as well since they fit my small hands better. jmo i would not use a steady diet of heavy .357 ammo in it. being a k frame they are not as robust as the large frame smiths. happy shooting, you,ll be able to hand it down if you take care of it. red dog

(Beaver County)

Tgs no "m" on mine ill have to look into that thanks. And to both of ya I only had it for 3 days but I'm lovin it!

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Check out underneath the barrel crane for an "M" stamped into the metal. There was some sort of recall a few decades ago....most have had the recall performed, but it's best to check anyway.

Enjoy it.
    that recall was on the "L" framed 581, 586, 681 and 686s.
    the m19 is a "K" frame. kinda hard call them rare however they were a very popular service sidearm.
    they do not like lite weight hot 357 loads.
    Last edited by brian; April 8th, 2012 at 01:27 PM.
    it's only metal, we can out think it....

(Bucks County)

I bought a 4 inch mod 19 back in 1975. It was my first magnum handgun and I used it on the department. I replaced it in 1982 with a mod 686 which I do not carry but still occassional take to the range. While I really liked the 686 more than the 19 for the job, the 19 is a great weapon that I wish I still had in my collection. I regret selling that handgun and the H&K Sp 89 I had. Best of luck with it !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by brian View Post
    that recall was on the "L" framed 581, 586, 681 and 686s.
    the m19 is a "K" frame. kinda hard call them rare however they were a very popular service sidearm.
    they do not like lite weight hot 357 loads.
    Thanks for the correction. I had a 586 too, obviously got them confused.

(Elk County)

I have a 19-3, 4", made in 1973. It was my father's first year anniversary present from mom. It has absolutely the smoothest double action pull of any S&W revolver I have ever held. As said previously, don't feed it a steady diet of hot 357's. I handload and baby mine. I just enjoy mowing the steel down in double action.

(Allegheny County)

I bought a 6" 19-3 this winter, and I have been loving it. As was said, these have the best trigger this side of a Python. I put some red nail polish on the front sight and some Packmayr grips, and it's just about as perfect as it can be.

Congrats, you will love it.
    Stay frosty....

(Westmoreland County)

Model 19's are great guns, I have 4 of them. The only problem that I'm aware of is knowing the guns limitations. The Model 19 was meant to be carried with .357 magnums while practicing mostly with .38 specials. Where the problems started was with light weight magnum loads, 125 grains or less were know to crack the forcing cones on some of these revolvers. This is what lead to the introduction of the L frames.

If you are going to shoot magnums use the heavier bullets. If you feel the need to shoot a lot of magnums a L or N frame would have been a better choice. If you shoot mostly .38's you'll go broke trying to wear it out.

Anyways, congrats on a true classic!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast